What's new

Basic XBOX questions (1 Viewer)

CraigK

Stunt Coordinator
I have some really simple questions re: XBOX. The local Future shop here has a pack for $229 Canadian and I think I may snag one.

So...on to the questions:

1. I have a 16:9 RPTV. Is their a way to set the video of the games to be formatted anamorphically like DVDs? In other words...Can it be set to format the 16:9 screen, or do you have to blow it up to fit the screen?

2. I have been hearing a lot re: the HD connector you can get for it. I saw it at the Future Shop sit and it looks like a connector box...does it come with cables too(?). Some I have spoken to said I should just get the MONSTER COMPONENT CABLES...but that would give me HD picture...right?

Anyhoo'...thanks in advance. I would also like to say how much this site rules for the quickness of responses (that was not a hint either!)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Craig, I'm pretty sure that some games are Anamorphic, while others are not. Others may want to correct me on that.

I bought the Xbox HD pack (microsoft brand), and yes, it does come with cables (except for optical audio). Some may think that the cables are not good, and opt to buy better cables. however, they are fine for me (it all depends on your preferences).

Once you insert the pack into the Xbox, new setting for display and sound option show up on the dashboard. You can set the different things there.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
1) The XBox "dashboard" (i.e. on-screen control panel) allows you to set your XBox for a Widescreen TV. All this does, however, is tell the games which are 16:9 compatible to use that mode (check the Software thread to see which games are 16:9). Otherwise it will just stretch 4:3 games to 16:9. The 16:9 games I own are not anamorphically enhanced, but rather have more real estate to the left and right which are exposed when in 16:9 mode. Examples are the EA NCAA Football games (you can almost see your WRs whereas in 4:3 mode you don't see much past your offensive line), and DOA3 which gives you more L/R area for fighting.

2) The official MS HD Pack, which I own, includes the component video cables as well as the converter box. At $19.99 I think it's a good deal, and wouldn't bother with a knock-off as you won't save that much money (as opposed to the RF adapter where the MS version is $20 and the knock-offs are $10).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks