What's new

Basic Sound Bar??? (1 Viewer)

Rebel Racing

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Hi Guys,

My parents vacation home has a 32" Sumsung lcd. They like the sound from it............my Wife and I don't. Wondering if a cheapo sound bar will really wake this thing up. They will not go for a home theater set up.............I'm looking to buy a sound bar for around $100........any recomendations?? Nice improvement or just a waste of $$? Thoughts......?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
A soundbar, especially one with a subwoofer, will almost definitely be an inprovement of the TV speakers; but I don't think it will be the improvement you're looking for, especially if you're used to a full home theater set-up, and especially at the $100 price point.
If the reason they don't want the home theater is because of operational complexity, maybe you can convince them to get one with passthrough. Then then can easily use the TV as-is, but you can use the receiver.

Rebel Racing

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Al.Anderson /t/324570/basic-sound-bar#post_3990697
A soundbar, especially one with a subwoofer, will almost definitely be an inprovement of the TV speakers; but I don't think it will be the improvement you're looking for, especially if you're used to a full home theater set-up, and especially at the $100 price point.
If the reason they don't want the home theater is because of operational complexity, maybe you can convince them to get one with passthrough. Then then can easily use the TV as-is, but you can use the receiver.
Actually, we are in the process of piecing together a system for our house--so I really have nothing to compare with. Basically, I just want to have something at my Parent's vacation place that will have better sound than the tv itself. My Wife and I open up their place for them in November of each year and close it in April--we usualy spend a week to 10 days there each time. While my folks really don't care about sound quality, we like to listen to a lot of the music chanels on DTV while we are there. I realize that we won't get fantastic sound from it at our price point but anything might be better than just the tv speakers--at least that is my train of thought. I realy can't justify spending a ton of $$ for the small ammount of use it will get considering that we don't have a system in place for us yet.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here you go...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-SA-EN6-Compact-Shelf-Sysytem-CD-Tuner-Aux-Input-Fully-Tested-Fast-Ship-/130690558331?pt=US_Compact_Shelf_Stereos&hash=item1e6dc3a97b
If the TV has an analog output, you are good(analog being red/white or headphones)...if it only has digital...
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Toslink-Analog-Converter/dp/B004C4WPXA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350670488&sr=1-1&keywords=optical+analog+converter
Under your budget, even if you have to buy the converter.
By the way, I have the EN17 version(the original speakers are long since gone...using a pair of Polk Mini Monitors now) connected to an IMac as its speakers...

Rebel Racing

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by schan1269 /t/324570/basic-sound-bar#post_3990854
Here you go...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-SA-EN6-Compact-Shelf-Sysytem-CD-Tuner-Aux-Input-Fully-Tested-Fast-Ship-/130690558331?pt=US_Compact_Shelf_Stereos&hash=item1e6dc3a97b
If the TV has an analog output, you are good(analog being red/white or headphones)...if it only has digital...
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Toslink-Analog-Converter/dp/B004C4WPXA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350670488&sr=1-1&keywords=optical+analog+converter
Under your budget, even if you have to buy the converter.
By the way, I have the EN17 version(the original speakers are long since gone...using a pair of Polk Mini Monitors now) connected to an IMac as its speakers...
O.K. that might be an option for us--thanks

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The best I can say is it's probably worth the money. But I wouldn't get it. I'd look for one with a sub.

Rebel Racing

Agent
Real Name
Steve
O.K. I was going to try it without a sub and then add one later if we wanted to but it will probably be cheaper to get it all at once.

Thanks!!

Rebel Racing

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by schan1269 /t/324570/basic-sound-bar#post_3991217
You can't add a subwoofer to that Vizio you linked.
Oops, I must have confused it with another one I was looking at--thanks!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I re-canted what I said. The picture at Wallyworld.com sucked. I went to Vizio itself and sure enough, it does include an output for a subwoofer.
That is what happens when you rely on a "selling website" for info...

Rebel Racing

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by schan1269 /t/324570/basic-sound-bar#post_3991221
I re-canted what I said. The picture at Wallyworld.com sucked. I went to Vizio itself and sure enough, it does include an output for a subwoofer.
That is what happens when you rely on a "selling website" for info...
Well then I'm back on track. I like the idea of buying a better sub after the fact. Might not be a good comparison but even our small Altec lansing sub that we have with the desk top computer really thumps out the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks