What's new

basic newbie connection problems (1 Viewer)

Gary grainger

Auditioning
Hi, folks, new here, I'm in the UK, and have a very basic set up, which i cannot connect properly. I have dvd player, Sky digital box, a vhs video player/recorder and a widescreen tv. Pitiful, ain't it!
The problem: How to set it up so that I can record onto the video from the sky digital signal, and then play back what I have recorded. I can get the play signal from the vhs to the tv, but cannot get the vhs to record the sky signal. All is connected with Scart leads - I hate them, but it is all that I have at the moment. n.b. I could do everything that I wanted to do before I changed tv, and even though I wired it up the same it don't work. Please help, getting frustrated.

Brad E

Second Unit
The output from the Sky digital has to go to the VCR first. From there to the TV.

If this is how you have it connected then, it sounds like you just need to change the imput on the VCR.
On my VCR I have Line 1 and Line 2 depending on which imput I'm using.
Or it could be because the VCR is not on the correct channel. Try 3 or 4. This all depends how you have it hooked up. I'm not familar with Scart leads so that dosen't tell me much.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You'll have to pardon us Yankees, Gary. Scart is foreign to us here in the U.S. Is it a line-level connection?

That said, here's what you want to do, provided your equipment has the proper connections.

Send a line-level signal (both audio and video) from the Sky box to the VCR's “Line In.” (Most VCRs here have inputs on the front and back.) This will allow you to record any channel that is selected on the Sky box. You will need to set the VCR to "Line In" to do the recording.

Send another signal from the VCR's “Line Out” to the TV’s “Video Input.” This will allow playback of tapes.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Gary grainger

Auditioning
Thanks fo all the info guys. A scart lead (also called peritel) carries everything in both directions. The ones that come free with dvd players etc. are total garbage, and can drop out at the push of a button on the remote! Like all good interconnects, the best ones cost the most money.
I'll keep you posted on how I get on
cheers
Gary

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Do all A/V components in the UK have Scarts - TVs, VCRs, DVD players, LD players. etc.?

Just wondering so I'll know how to advise the next guy with Scart equipment. :D

Gary grainger

Auditioning
Yup, they do, although many have digital in/out, RF in/out and phono in/out too. Confusing ain't it! Anyway. following the advice of the crew here, I got my system sorted the way I wanted it. Many thanks for quick and knowledgeable responses.
Cheers!:emoji_thumbsup:
Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks