What's new

Basic Email / Microsoft Outlook question (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I have Microsoft Outlook installed on my desktop and laptop. If I open the program on one computer, it loads the new emails and saves them, but they cannot be seen on the other computer.

Is there a way (using Outlook, not Hotmail or Yahoo, etc.) to coordinate this so all emails can be seen from both computers? I kinda doubt it, but I thought I'd ask.

If not, how do people manage to keep their email organized when they use multiple computers?

Thanks

Jon

VicB

Agent
Real Name
Victor Bullara

In "options" I believe there is a check box for "leave on server." This allows for the e-mail to not be downloaded to the local machine you are on.

jason_l_h

Agent
Tools>E-mail accounts>view or change existing...>select account and press change>more settings>advanced tab>under delivery, check "leave a copy of messages on the server."

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If you're using an email service (like gmail) that supports IMAP, you should setup Outlook to use IMAP rather than POP. Doing this will not only allow emails to show up on both computers, but if you've read it on one computer it will show up as having already been read on the other computer too.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Jason,

Your pathway wasn't correct for Outlook 2007, but I was able to figure it out with your help.

Thanks.

If anyone's interested, for 2007 it's:

Tools>Account Settings>(double click on account)>More Settings>Advanced>Leave a copy of messages on the server.

Jon

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
In a more corporate world this problem doesn't exist. At work, I use Outlook tethered to an Exchange server - but I can also read the mail in a web mail component and on my mobile devices via Exchange Activesync, so I have the mail on my pocket pc and Nokia phone both.

Reading or replying on one device is stored on the Exchange server so no matter where I read or reply to mail next, the view is consistent. It is very convenient.

Nevermind that having the mail on both the Pocket PC and phone is redundant, sometimes it does come in handy.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Just remember, you are leaving email on the server, so if there is a limited quota on server space, this can become an issue.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

In theory, but as long as you're periodically deleting e-mails, this shouldn't be a problem, since deleting from either computer will also delete the copy from the server. (While leaving the copy downloaded to the other computer intact on that machine until it is deleted.) Changing the setting to leave a copy on the server merely prevents the messages from being automatically deleted from the server as they are downloaded to one local copy of Outlook.

Regards,

Joe

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Oh, it's not just theory. I have web hosting clients who leave email on the server so they can check it at work and at home (or on their cell phone) and they fill it up fast... to the point they can't update their websites because their quota is full.

And while text email doesn't take up much space, formatted uses up a bit more, and attachments, well those are monstrously huge compared to the email itself.

Which is why my plan is to convert all my clients over to using Gmail for domain email.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks