Basic DVD Audio Question (2 Viewers)

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Tim,

Could you check this page:

www.slottweak.com/DV_563A/update2.htm

I think it's written there, but I can't go there from work (since the URL has "slot" in it, I think my company's firewall thinks this is a gaming site).

This is from a site by Gary DeRoy, who posted a review on this player:

www.slottweak.com/DV_563A/563review.htm

There are other sources that mention the 200 Hz crossover as well.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

The source that I am aware are the measurements in the S&V review. Don't have a link handy, and I can't say if its in their archives, but it was based on their measurements.

AFAIK, the first paragraph of Kyle's quote is spot on from the S&V review.

BGL

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Thx all for digging up the S&V info. To tell the truth, I'm not sure which one to believe. I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, but we have conflicting info coming from the manufacturer and a reviewer...

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
No flames detected here!

But, lets just say that I will trust a published review based on measurements, versus some of the stuff coming from the vendors.

Now, it is possible that Pio updated the player to lower the DVD-A crossover, or S&V may have made a mistake back when they did the review. I guess one could do a test if one had a suitable DVD-A test tone. Disconnect the sub and run a sweep from say 400 hz on down and see where the mains roll off.

FWIW, I had a long exchange with a Pioneer tech rep when I first got my 45a. The subject was the common Uni-Player problem of low levels of the .1 channel. That was in October of 2002, and there were not many uni-players around then, so a lot of this stuff was new to a lot of users as well as to the tech reps.

The guy was good, and we kept up the exchange for a while, but he had to rely on stuff he was getting from Japan, and it was clear that the boys in Japan had no idea what the fellow was asking them about (I am quite sure it was a language thing), and their answers were almost 100% incomprehensible. He forwarded a couple to me, and I was as puzzled as he was. They kept insisting that the problem was simply that the internal test tone for the .1 was wrong. That was true, but I was not using their tones.

Anyway, best of luck. If you dig up some better info, I suspect that a lot of HTF members will be interested in your findings.

BGL

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator

There is another;

I use the M&K BMC Mini solely for DVD-A and SACD playback and it does a remarkable job with no loss in sound quality. I remember when I first got it and thought I would probably not even hear a difference or it would damage the quality in some way and I would have to pull it back out, however after I played the first disc with it installed I knew it was a permanent addition to my system. I think bass management with DVD-A and SACD's is one of those things that you really don't know what you are missing till you try it so if you don’t have the extra $$$ don’t try it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks