What's new

Basic component video Blue Ray player question (1 Viewer)

john402052000

Auditioning
Real Name
John Bailey
I own a Magnovox CRT flat screen tv, a Sony DVD player and a Sony HT DDW660 home theater system. The DVD player died last night so I need to get a new player. I was thinking of getting a BlueRay player since it will play my DVDs and, you never know, I may in the next couple of years try and purchase a flat panel TV.

My concern is hooking the player up to both my TV and HTS. My TV only has coaxial, component and Cvideo outputs (although I'm not familiar with Cvideo) and it looks like BlueRay players only use HDMI connections. My HTS has digital optical video and DVD coaxial inputs.

I should state at this point that I'm not really well versed in home theater technology so please bear with me.

Anyway, is it possible to hook my TV up to a new BlueRay device? I've been reading these forums on inexpensive BlueRay players and am considering some of the cheaper Panasonic models, such as the DMP-BD65 or the DMPBD75.

Any help or advice would be great.

thanks in advance,

john402052000

Auditioning
Real Name
John Bailey
OK, I may need to apologize here. I double checked the specs on the Amazon page and saw the following:

Component video output (Y, PB, PR)

It looks like this model does have a component video output, so I should be able to use this with my current TV. If I'm mistaken please let me know.

thanks,

John

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Most (if not all) Blu-ray players have component outputs, so they should work with your TV (though it's probably best to get the manual from the manufacturer's website to verify that).

That being said, I question whether or not it makes sense for you to buy a BD player at this point in time. If it really might be a couple of years before you buy a new TV, it might be better to get a cheap DVD player now (probably get one that does a decent job for $20-30) and let the BD players keep improving. The only reason I could see to get a BD player now would be if you want to start actually buying Blu-ray discs (instead of DVDs).

john402052000

Auditioning
Real Name
John Bailey
Thanks for the reply Brian.

The only reason I was thinking of a BD player is that they're less expensive now that the Sony DVD player was when I bought it. I gave a quick look at Best Buy online and it seems you can get a reasonable DVD player in the range you specified. Maybe I'll go that route instead.

thanks again.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
One good reason for picking up a Blu-ray player now would be to get one with video and audio streaming apps, such as Netflix, Amazon On-Demand, VuDu, Pandora, YouTube, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks