What's new

Directors Baseball Players' Game Thread (1 Viewer)

James RD

Supporting Actor
John Fluhrer - Hit .333 in 6 AB for the 1915 Cubs. Also played 1 game under the name of Wm. G. Morris. Must have been a spy. Wonder if he was related to Der Fuhrer?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Farmer Burns
No relation to Hitler, Farmer (aka "Slab") Burns pitched in just one game for the 1901 Cardinals. It was one inning of relief. Gave up two hits, one walk and one earned run for an ERA of 9.00

James RD

Supporting Actor
Lou Scoffic - 4 games, 7 AB, 2 R, 3 H, 2 RBI for the 1936 Cards. Nicknamed Weaser.
Hmm, Mike, A's/Red Sox playoff series?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sam Moffett
A 19 game loser for the 1884 Cleveland Blues. 22 games started. 21 games completed. 19 games lost. 3 won.
Hmm, Mike, A's/Red Sox playoff series?
James, I am thrilled the A's have the hot hand right now--with six games still to play against the Mariners (the Red Sox wildcard nemesis). I feel the A's are probably the most solid--top to bottom--AL team in the field right now. That said, I am chomping at the bit for the Red Sox to have a crack at those damn Yankees in the ALCS. Doubt it will all come together the way I want it--mostly because of the Athletics. But a guy can dream.....
If the Red Sox win the wildcard, do you know if they would play the winner of the West (the A's) or the winner of the Central (my guess, the Twins)? I am not sure how that's determined. All I know is the winner of the division from which the wild card team is culled can not play the wild card team in the first round.

James RD

Supporting Actor
Mandy Brooks - Hit .270 in 397 AB for the 1925-26 Cubs. 15 HR, 78 RBI. Not bad.
The W.C. team plays the divisional winner with the best record not in their division. If Boston wins the wild card, they will play the A's or Seattle, who both will have better records than the Central winner. If the A's win the division and Seattle the W.C., Seattle will face the Evilyankees.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You don't suppose Dusty Baker and the Cubbies are singing this song today, do you? :D
I remember all my life
Raining down as cold as ice
A shadow of a man
A face through a window
Crying in the night
The night goes into
Morning, just another day
Happy people pass my way
Looking in their eyes
I see a memory
I never realized
How happy you made me, oh Mandy
Well you came and you gave without taking
And I sent you away, oh Mandy
And you kissed me and stopped me from shaking
And I need you today, oh Mandy
Brooks Ulysses Lawrence
Played with the Cardinals and the Reds in the late '50s. A 19-game winner in his All-Star year of 1956.
Thanks for the explanation of the playoff rules. I will be a rabid A's fan if the Red Sox should fall by the wayside at any time.

James RD

Supporting Actor
Lynn King - Hit .208 in 207 AB for the Cardinals in 1935-36 and 1939. Later in life starred in a famous Disney animated film.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Lynn King - Hit .208 in 207 AB for the Cardinals in 1935-36 and 1939. Later in life starred in a famous Disney animated film.
:laugh:
mhihi.gif
sweat.gif

Kitty Brashear
At the age of 21, Norman Brashear pitched in three games for the 1899 Louisville Colonels. In 8 IP, he gave up 4 ER for a lifetime ERA of 4.50
In two ABs he had one hit -- a single -- for a lifetime BA of .500

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Biff Schlitzer
GREAT name! Sounds like a really bad local sportscaster who wears loud, plaid sport jackets.
Sam Agnew
A .204 lifetime batting average, Agnew was also a member of the world champion Red Sox of 1918. Because of this he was able to ignore all the nattering nabobs of negativism.

James RD

Supporting Actor
Our ages are showing when you post something about good ole Spiro and I understand completely. :)
Astyanax Douglas - Hit .167 for the Reds in 1921 and '26. DVP nicknamed one of his orifices after this guy.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Solomon Mobley Carter
Sol, no sunny disposition he. Appeared in two games for the 1931 Athletics. Total 2 1/3 innings. 4 walks, 5 earned runs. 19.29 ERA. No ABs.
The Athletics of '31, managed by Connie Mack, finished 1st in the AL with a 107-45 record. Team included Jimmie Foxx, Al Simmons, & Mickey Cochrane. And, Lefty Grove -- who was 31 - 4 with a 2.06 ERA.

James RD

Supporting Actor
Charlie Gassaway - 5-9, 4.04 ERA for 3 teams from 1944-46. Didn't completely stink, but emitted a foul odor from his astyanax.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gabriel Stefan Kapler
Inspired by an incredible 10-inning 6-5 win over the Baltimore Orioles tonight, I give you Gabe Kapler. The Sox tonight were down 5 - 2 in the bottom of the ninth with 2 out when, with a 3-2 count, Todd Walker hit a three run homer. David Ortiz homered in the tenth. :eek:
Bring on the postseason!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks