What's new

Baseball MVP -- it won't be who you think... (1 Viewer)

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
let me preface it with the fact that it really should (and usually does) go to someone who has helped their team get to the playoffs.
I strongly disagree with this statement. Just because the Giants don't make the playoffs doesn't mean that Bonds wasn't the most important player in the NL this year. Also, if you want to limit it to this criteria, you only have 3 teams to choose an MVP from. That seems kind of unfair, especially to players that are on teams that nearly made the playoffs. I'd find Gonzalez maybe fourth on an MVP listing.
1) Barry Bonds -- 3 single season records
2) Sammy Sosa -- only player to have 3 60+ home run seasons
3) Albert Pujols -- anything and everything the cardinals needed and all this from a rookie that played class A ball last year
4) Luis Gonzalez
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

James D S

Screenwriter
You might be surprised. MLB is currently manufacturing heroes. Don't count Bonds out just yet despite almost universal contemt for the guy.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
As for the AL, I think there is also a good case for Roger Clemens for MVP, but they rarely ever give it to pitchers.
No way.
Look at his numbers. Does he lead in Wins? No. Does he lead in ERA? No. Does he lead in Ks? No. Does he lead in oppnents BA? No. Does he lead in SHO, CG? No. Did he even pitch a CG? No! Does he lead in any meaningful performance category? No!!!
What he leads the league in is starts versus sub .500 teams w/25 or 26 as reported in his last start. Mussina's numbers are so much better it's not funny.
In addition, his team finished below SEA and OAK.
Therefore, no chance at all. He's lucky there were folks dumb enough to give Bob Welch a CY. Surprise: Welch had 7 more wins and an ERA over .5 runs better as well when he didn't deserve it.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
This year I would vote for Bonds to be the MVP. By the way, just to put it out there, in 98 Sosa did indeed deserve the MVP over Mac.
And Sosa only has more total bases because he played in 7 more games than Bonds.
Of course this is very poor reasoning. First of all there is no guarantee that Bonds would have been able to make up the Total Bases delta in those seven games.
Secondly, this raises the question, why did Bonds miss so many games while his team was trying to make the playoffs?
Like I said in the beginning, I have no doubt that this year Bonds deserves the MVP
------------------

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
If there were an award for Most Improved player (MIP), then Bonds should get it. However, the MVP represents who helped their team and is so valuable that they wouldn't have gotten where they are (usually the goal _is_ the playoffs)
without him. The Giants almost got there, true, but almost doesn't cut it, sorry. In the AL, ARod had a monster year as well, setting a new record for HR by a shortstop. Coincidence that he did it the same year that the overall HR record is broken? Perhaps. Does he get the vote for AL MVP? Not in my book. Why? There are players out there who have less impressive stats but are more valuable to their team. Ichiro, Boone, Giambi for starters. This is what I'm getting at, folks. It's not all about stats. 2 HR in a game is great - but if you're playing for playoff contention and your team ends up losing 11-10, thereby eliminating your team, it's all for nothing.
------------------
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. -Franklin D. Roosevelt.
My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001

bill lopez

Second Unit
Also in 1979 Willie Stargell won a MVP award and even though Dave Parker who was on the same team had better numbers. But because Willie was more media friendly he gets it.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Well, I have a few things I want to mention.
For those who point to Sosa having more RBI's I say this:
Barry Bonds was walked 177 times! That's 61 more walks than Sosa. That is going to put a huge damper on your opportunity to knock in runs.
For those who point to Sosa having more runs scored:
Barry Bonds reached base more than 50% of the time. He did his part to score runs, those batting behind him generally did not.
Yes, Sosa played in more games. But I seem to remember Barry Bonds sitting out quite a few games due to a managerial decision to give him rest. It's not like he was out drinking the night before and couldn't play because he was too hung over.
Anyone here a fan of intagibles? How about the fact that all eyes were on Barry, giving everyone else the chance to relax and just play ball. Barry basically shouldered the (press) load for that team. Not that the rest went unnoticed, but rather were given some space.
Well, I guess you know who I would vote for.
wink.gif
But I'm no expert, just a fan that wants to see Bonds win his fourth MVP award.
Dan Hine

MikeM

Screenwriter
Barry basically shouldered the (press) load for that team. Not that the rest went unnoticed, but rather were given some space.
Hey, he had a great year, but he surely didn't "shoulder the press load." In fact, he's such a jerk he'd rarely talk to the media. I felt bad for his teammates like Kent who constantly had to answer questions about Barry, because the prima donna himself wouldn't address the media.
Again, he had a great season on the field, but he hardly was a saint to the press or his other teammates.
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Playoffs shmayoffs. The Giants would not have even been CLOSE to the playoffs without Bonds.
Barry Bonds had what was arguably the best offensive season of any player in baseball since Babe Ruth's 1920 season. 'Nuff said. Bonds' 2001 was SO remarkable and unprecedented that it towers over conventional wisdom about what the MVP should be. Anyone other than Bonds winning it will be a travesty.
And for the record, Bonds has been downright cheerful and open with the media this last two years in comparison to the rest of his career.
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

bill lopez

Second Unit
Just think if Bonds doesn't win, in future history nobody will know that in 2001 he had that kind of year.They will see in the record book and look for the MVP.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I absolutely despise Barry Bonds but I don't see how the MVP award in the NL could possibly go to anyone else. The season that Barry had this year is arguably the best of all time. I think he'll win the MVP easily.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Hey, he had a great year, but he surely didn't "shoulder the press load."
That's why so many people were excited about Ricky Henderson breaking Ty Cobbs run record??
rolleyes.gif

Bonds got all the attention despite numerous milestones in MLB. I can't believe Henderson got almost no press on a record that has stood so long.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I can't believe Henderson got almost no press on a record that has stood so long.
It reminds me of the day Henderson broke Brock's all time stolen base record. Nolan Ryan threw his seventh no-hitter later that night. I think it's poetic justice when a jerk like Rickey gets one-upped in his moment(s) of glory.
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
MikeM,
I agree, he really didn't talk to the media and was not the most enthusiastic interview. But that doesn't mean that the press didn't put their spotlight on him. It was always (virtually) Bonds Bonds Bonds. Rich Aurillia (sp?) had a hell of a year as well but it was mostly overlooked. So IMO I still think that even though he didn't talk to the media much, Bonds did shoulder that load.
Well, maybe a better way to put it would be "Barry got most of the attention." He didn't seek to carry it. Does that make more sense? I hope so. :)
Dan Hine

MikeM

Screenwriter
And for the record, Bonds has been downright cheerful and open with the media this last two years in comparison to the rest of his career.
He set such a low standard for talking with the media, there was virtually no way he could do anything but improve. He's no saint, and many of his own teammates hate him. So take his new found cheerfulness with a grain of salt. But hey, again, like I said, I'd vote for him for MVP. It's not a popularity contest.
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread