What's new

Barry Lyndon won't have a SE. Is that confirmed? (1 Viewer)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I REALLY think that the other three Warner-owned Kubrick titles will appear as SE's next year. Anyone want to make a bet on that? I don't know why anyone would think that Warner wouldn't do Se's of Lolita, FMJ, or BL (Afterall, why are they doing an SE of EWS? - his last film whose transfer can only be improved upon by going HD or 1.85/16x9 and giving us the unedited cut shown in Europe). Warner have done two-disc SE's for films far less popular than these, and they are probably just spreading things out a bit (They don't want to release all of their Kubrick titles in one year).

This is all imho of course.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

Agreed as a matter of fact the only other director that i have ever heard of doing something remotely close was Stevens waiting days till the sky was perfect for Shane.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Here in the UK the BBC screened Barry Lyndon today in anamorphic widescreen in a ratio of 1.66:1. The picture looked superb. Hopefully Warner Bros will issue a SE DVD some time next year.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I am more interested in an anamorphic release of Barry Lyndon (hopefully in all the current formats) more so than any SE features. Such features would definitely be nice, but I'd hate to see a rermastered film delayed for a documentary or a commentary.

Obviously, Tarantino's comments would be unwelcome. While I liked a few of his films, I never liked Reservoir Dogs. The parts that were good in it were derived from Kubrick IMO (and some Chow Yun Fat/Danny Lee Hong Kong movie I saw once of which Dogs was also a remake) and the rest was too much improvised actor bullshitting and savage and/or sadistic action scenes. In some of Tarantino's films I did like, I am annoyed by his use of other films' musical scores (such as The Good, the Bad & the Ugly in Kill Bill 2.)

Maybe he does not like being reminded that he ripped off some ideas. It's interesting that someone said he disses Welles, too. I remember reading an interview with Welles in which he said he admired The Killing over The Asphalt Jungle, even though The Killing was somewhat derivitive of Jungle. Welles basically said that it was "OK" to do so if one surpasses the original, as he thought Kubrick did with The Killing. So, Tarantino could have used Welles as a defense of his own actions, instead of behaving like a know-it-all college student.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Really? Damn, I missed it. Was it a true 1.66:1 pillarboxed image?

By this alone, I would say that Warner has completed the transfers for all their Kubrick SEs, but we have no idea as to how far they are with the special features; those may take some time to create.

And please - no more mention of Tarantulatino on this thread! ;)

moviefan

Agent
Real Name
justin

It is playing on HDNet Movies this month. The next showing is September 14th.

I have already seen 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining, and A Clockwork Orange on HDNet Movies last month.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

I can't really think of a director that seems to get more static from fans than Tarantino.

I've always thought that a good portion of that comes because he rather blatantly points out his references. Thus movie fans take notice. While less forthcoming directors use ideas but aren't as obvious about it. So they slide under the radar.

Tarantino is kind of the boy that gets caught hitting back in school. ;)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I disagree with Tarantino's comments re: Kubrick and Welles but I resent the fact that people react to them with this "how dare he not worship Kubrick and Welles?" attitude.

I'm not gonna lose any sleep over the fact that he has different opinions than me.

AlexCremers

Second Unit

Yes, Kubrick points things out in a blatant, almost arrogant manner but it's because of his solid control over the matter, and because he does things with infallible authority, that he can get away with it.

Alex

AlexCremers

Second Unit
Sure, take 2001, for example. The film asks its questions is a very pushy, demanding way. There's nothing subtle about it. The question is not "layered". It's on the surface. Nobody on Earth is going to miss the fact that the film wants you to use your brain in order to get some sense out of it all. You have no choice but to think about its deeper meanings. Of course Kubrick is one of the most original of directors! Kubrick serves the questions on a silver platter, not the answers.

Alex

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Quentin Tarantino said "Fuck Kubrick" on the "Reservoir Dogs" DVD

QT isnt the beginning of a pimple on Kubricks ass.

Anyway onto Barry Lyndon, I love this film as well.

Is there source material even out there for a SE?

And I dont agree with Alex comments at all.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

The majority critical opinion has always been that 2001 is a very subtle or enigmatic film in not spelling out it's meaning or plot aspects and therefore letting the viewer make interpretations. To say that Kubrick is pushy in taking this approach seems, to me, to be perverse.

AlexCremers

Second Unit

Correction: The pushy aspect which I was referring to is that you're forced to make interpretations. It is in this regard that 2001 is far from subtle. Again, I was talking about the questions, not the answers.

Alex

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

I was checking listings last night, and saw that Barry Lyndon will be on HDNet Movies in the very early morning hours tomorrow (Sep 14th) and on Sep 24th. Those of you with HD PVR capabilities should get those timers ready!

-Lyle J.P.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
To be exact:

HDNet Movies Search Results

Search HDNet Movies | Printable HDNet Movies Schedules

(All times Eastern/Pacific - All schedules subject to change)
Barry Lyndon
Rating: PG
Year: 1975
Cast:Ryan O'Neal, Marisa Berenson, Patrick Magee
Director: Stanley Kubrick
Synopsis: An 18th century Irish rogue, determined to lead the life of a nobleman, travels the battlefields and parlors of Europe.
Run Time: 3:04
Air Dates:7:20 AM ET / 4:20 AM PT - Thu, Sep 14th
6:30 AM ET / 3:30 AM PT - Sun, Sep 24th
9:30 PM ET / 6:30 PM PT - Sun, Oct 8th
4:05 AM ET / 1:05 AM PT - Mon, Oct 9th

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks