What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (1 Viewer)

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Wish it ran thru the 3rd and covered Nashville and Investigation of a Citizen. Will pick up Seconds and La Notte for sure.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Zaitochi and I'm sure some others will be mine!

I grabbed some during the Criterion flash sale though, so it will be light for me compared to last time.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Not entirely true. I was able to use a few of those during that last sale and the last 50% sale

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They weren;t eligible online at least after the first 8-12 hrs. Instore like it seems always is YMMV -- I was able to use coupons
on the majority of my purchases -- 15 and 20's, 5 off, 8off (for really the first time I got this one to work 3 or 4 times).

I will add a qualification:
3 of my 4 reasonably close stores have almost always taken them. I did have one store block me and not for the first time -- I;m starting to wonder if it's personal with that store.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I've used the 15/20% coupons throughout the month in every sale. It's really a YMMV thing.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Got my order in!

Zatoichi
Tokyo Story
I Married a Witch
Eyes Without A Face
City Lights
Up All Night with Robert Downy Sr.

Hoping they arrive before Christmas break, I'd love to tuck into Zatoichi when I'm off work.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I was able to use several % and $ off coupons during the last sale. The fine print on all of the ones i received stated that the discount was to be taken off after all other applicable discounts; i.e. They can be combined with sale and member benefits. In fact, the saleslady sold me my membership by telling me i would receive several coupons which i could then use during the criterion sale specifically to really take advantage. Which i did:BrazilSafety LastGodzillaEating RaoulCronos Devils BackboneHeavens GateHigh and LowBeing John MalkovichFor All Mankind

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
while I don't get any email coupons from BN at any of the three addresses I've signed up with (one of which is my member address), I did get two twenty percent off coupons in the mail last weekend. I took one in Tuesday morning and promptly got the Cassavetes bluray set 125 -> 62.5 -> 56.25 -> 45 Add in a couple bucks tax and it was still under $50, meaning I saved $76 off list! Amazing! I hope I'll be able to find a Zatoichi set in store and use the other one.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Also, I should note that Criterion has indicated various places this year that a big reason they upgrade titles to bluray is a print run selling out. So if you have a personal favorite you've been waiting on buying in the hopes they'll upgrade it to bluray, now is the time to prod Criterion in the upgrade direction by picking up a copy. You're doing us all a favor by culling the existing stock!

don't worry, criterion's sell pretty fast on amazon, so you shouldn't have any trouble selling off the DVD if it is upgraded.

I haven't bought DVDs in years (other than eclipse) so this is the first sale in a while where I'll be hitting that section of the store. Hilariously, the last criterion dvd edition I bought was during a november sale, La Jetee/Sans Soleil because I thought, "that's probably such a niche title it'll never be upgraded!" and a few weeks later they upgraded it of course. ;)

Personally, I'll be getting one of my favorites, Devil and Daniel Webster, and David Lean's Oliver Twist.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I ordered Seconds, To Be Or Not To Be, The Uninvited, and City Lights. I should have them next week.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Adam_S said:
while I don't get any email coupons from BN at any of the three addresses I've signed up with (one of which is my member address), I did get two twenty percent off coupons in the mail last weekend. I took one in Tuesday morning and promptly got the Cassavetes bluray set 125 -> 62.5 -> 56.25 -> 45 Add in a couple bucks tax and it was still under $50, meaning I saved $76 off list! Amazing! I hope I'll be able to find a Zatoichi set in store and use the other one.
If you have a few other email addresses available or use the "gmail dot blind" method you might try signing up other addressesin the "Be In The Know" box at the bottom of most BN.com pages. This seems to be the most effective way to get the email adsand those with coupons. It usually takes a week or so to start receiving mail, but most people find that is a better way thanmaking an account and hoping for BN to capture it. Alternatively I usually receive extra nonmember coupons when they are available and will happily share the one;s I don;t use.Just PM me and tell how many you think you might use. By reports there should be a new set of coupons coming out tomorrow -- unique ID one time use 15% off Single Item coupons (usually active Thurs to Sunday). There are also a couple generic codes that usually can be used multiple at stores that allow coupon use on Criterions -- active Thurs through Sunday of this week and another set for next weekend BN Master Coupon thread

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Picked up Seconds To Be or Not To BeUsed a 20% on one and a 15% on the other.2 great movies under 30 bucks.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Peter McM said:
My B&N (River Crossing, Indianapolis) refused to apply extra 15% on To Be or Not To Be blu-ray. :angry:
It such a hit or miss sale. Try the same store with a different clerk and many times it works fine. Or try a different store if you have access to another store with a media department.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
My B&N accepted one of coupons I got in the mail, offered to ring up one item separately so I could use another, but I figured I'd save it for next week for the Barbara Stanwyck biography.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Been busy, but finally got out today. I paid $144 (before sales tax) on $365 worth of Criterions, stacking five coupons*, and I might have left a couple of bucks on the table because one coupon may not have worked, even though the sales clerk said they all went through okay. I'll try to figure it out tomorrow, but ... whatever. I'm a happy boy and will be back for more next week.

*one-time 20% off, received in email
a 5/50 and an 8/40
another 15% and 20%

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Charles Smith said:
Been busy, but finally got out today. I paid $144 (before sales tax) on $365 worth of Criterions, stacking five coupons*, and I might have left a couple of bucks on the table because one coupon may not have worked, even though the sales clerk said they all went through okay. I'll try to figure it out tomorrow, but ... whatever. I'm a happy boy and will be back for more next week.

*one-time 20% off, received in email
a 5/50 and an 8/40
another 15% and 20%
What titles did you get?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks