What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
David Norman said:
Looks like you have all the Blurays then -- until tomorrow with the 3 disc releasing, but I suspect you already have these on preorder oron call at BN for pickup?
I have Wild Strawberries on the way from eBay and yes, every other Blu. I'm going to swing by a BN tomorrow or Wednesday and get the three new ones with a 5/50. The stores near me are pretty good about keeping enough on hand, but I may call and reserve them to be sure. I do have Pandora's Box on order since thats the last of the digipak boxes I don't have which usually cost more on eBay even though they are the same price list. That's why I'm also getting all the 2 disc ones first during the sale. Glad I'm working extra weekend days so I can take advantage of the sale to the utmost haha

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Moe Dickstein said:
Since I keep obsessive lists, that's easy to answer. The one missing from this is "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" which I wouldn't get on DVD at this point since the Blu is coming in September.The "&" means 2 disc, the "@" means I think it might get a Blu Upgrade and to hold off, and non base $40 list prices are marked.134 - Haxan159 - Red Beard176 - The Killers &217 - Tokyo Story @&233 - Stray Dog240 - Early Summer278 - L'Eclisse &335 - Elevator to the Gallows &341 - A Canturbury Tale &358 - Pandora's Box &405 - The Threepenny Opera &431 - The Thief of Baghdad &442 - Twenty Four Eyes $30491 - Z
I'd say all of the above are actually pretty good candidates for an upgrade, not just Tokyo Story, but you may be right that Tokyo Story is the most likely of that lot to be upgraded by the November sale, I figure it's a pretty good candidate for a November release.

I'd love a Red Beard bluray, and we haven't gotten a Kurosawa Blu in 2013 yet, but first in line ahead of Red Beard are probably Throne of Blood then Ikiru.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oh, good lord.

We'll see how mine, which had at least half a dozen Lord of the Flies BDs last Tuesday, does with this title this afternoon. Not that I can't wait another week for it. Got plenty of other things to catch up on.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I have at least 6 BNs I can drive to, and worst case they can order me one before the sale ends, its not the end of the world if i dont get it today

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about all B&Ns but my local store restocks pretty quickly. I'd bet that they'll have The Ice Storm back in stock again by Friday so if it's sold out, I wouldn't give up hope of finding it before the sale is over.

Also, I did see a couple copies of The Devil's Backbone on the shelf.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Did they move the release date up for The Devil's Backbone? Wasn't that one originally the 30th, the day after the sale was to end before they extended it.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Charles Smith said:
Did they move the release date up for The Devil's Backbone? Wasn't that one originally the 30th, the day after the sale was to end before they extended it.
Supposed to have been A BN exclusive advance release, but so far reports of seeing it have been spotty. A few stores have it, quite a few only got DVD or none at all. Worth a phone call probably.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I managed to get the BD of The Devil's Backbone along with Babette's Feast and The Ice Storm.
My Criterion and Eclipse collections are once again complete! For a couple of weeks, that is. I only shop the 50% off sales, so unless Criterion does one prior to the November B&N sale, I shall patiently bide my time and save my pennies till then.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
My store had several copies of The Devil's Backbone today, both BD and DVD, along with The Ice Storm and a few things they'd been out of last week. It's not one of the largest stores, but they do well, and they said the Criterion sale is always great for them. I even have a wonderful salesclerk who, when I said I wanted to use an $8-off-$40 coupon IF the system would take it on such-and-such, said "oh, we'll make sure it takes it". So I once again caught up on way too many additional things today, and of course will be back at the scene of the crime next week to drive myself into further ruin.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
When I called to reserve the three releases this morning they had said that they didn't get the Blu of Backbone but they had DVDs. They expected to get it in later that day and were going to add it to my pile when it arrived. How nice of them, and if it doesn't show I'll just add in something else to get the 5/50 coupon working

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Got an email today from Amazon listing their Criterion titles including The Blob, The Man Who Knew Too Much, On the Waterfront, etc....at 50% off. Well, On The Waterfront was almost 50 off. Looks like they are trying to match Barnes and Noble. But looking at their listings, many are $24 to $28 dollars while list price is $39.00. While others are $19 down from $39.00.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Glad to help Mike! I got Lord of the Flies at B&N over the weekend at $19. Kinda wonky how Amazon is pricing some Criterions at 50% off and others less.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
Glad to help Mike!I got Lord of the Flies at B&N over the weekend at $19. Kinda wonky how Amazon is pricing some Criterions at 50% off and others less.
They're matching Best Buy, not Barnes and Noble -- why BBY is pricing some lower than others I'm guessing has more to do with titles they
seem to carry in Warehouse which seem to be more the US movies and bigger name titels.

Jubal is cheaper b/c it's a 29.99 title initially.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
David Norman said:
Jubal is cheaper b/c it's a 29.99 title initially.
That's what I figured...so, theoretically, it would be $15 at B&M...right?

For some reason, I cannot find that title listed at B&N.com.

Thanks, David!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks