What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (2 Viewers)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
BNSPARKLER worked for me. Thanks!
+1
I had Brazil in my cart when I went to check out it told me it wasn't available. That is when I posted it to the forum. So I picked somethings else. Without the code the pricing went to the regular half price when I added the others to the cart the BNSPARKLER code showed back up and reflected the discount. 7 blurays for under $105.00 (+ tax) Thanks to David and the others

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
If you can get in store and have membership you can get the $20 movies for $10.

The 8/40 works, it just needs to be scanned.
Member takes off $2 then the coupon another $8.

CC blus for $10

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's certainly a lot less (far less) than YMMV than prior years I had more luck in one trip to a single store yesterday than the previous 4-5 years combined since the thing appeared. That;s not hard since I think 3 was more total successes even counting the bigger items and zero for reg 39.99 titles. Almost makes the instore codes in a couple days unimportant though I guess I will never expect them to be easy.

Of course you still have to have a clerk that will run it through the scanner rather than reject it outright -- inapplicable due terms (the one probably legit reason), inapplicable because of the 50% sale, inapplicable because it a photoshop counterfeit, inapplicable b/c the manager banned all coupons or specifically the $8 coupon among many other roadblocks

Last edited:

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Picked up the player, fantastic planet, and Tokyo story yesterday. Fantastic planet is a total trip, only 72 minutes so I already watched it, leisurely paced, and surprisingly a thoughtful and adult piece of science fiction and animation. Not great, it's a really good film but it is one of those clearly significant pieces of a genre's history that are kind of essential viewing if you're interested in either subject (sci fi or animation).

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Potentially really bad news confirmed by several posters elsewhere. I'm not seeing either the 20 or 25% code anymore on the site so it seem BN may have pulled the plug early.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Potentially really bad news confirmed by several posters elsewhere. I'm not seeing either the 20 or 25% code anymore on the site so it seem BN may have pulled the plug early.
Sad, and just serves to piss of their potential customers. Even with 25% off, many of the prices still ended up higher than Amazon. They need coupons at the 20-25% level just to approach competitive pricing. Less than that is just not worth it, and customers will shop elsewhere.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
A few to watch for out of stock are those films with English language titles that BN inexplicably lists under original language, like phantom carriage, chronicle of a summer, miss Julie or the stories of floating weeds set, I've seen these stay out of stock for multiple consecutive sales and often are not even properly flagged for the sale as 50% off

I think being listed as the wrong title makes them very unlikely to be promptly restocked.

Last edited:

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
A few to watch for out of stock are those films with English language titles that BN inexplicably lists under original language, like phantom carriage, chronicle of a summer, miss Julie or the stories of floating weeds set, I've seen these stay out of stock for multiple consecutive sales and often are not even properly flagged for the sale as 50% off

I think being listed as the wrong title makes them very unlikely to be promptly restocked.

I had Phantom Carriage (Korkarlen) in my shopping bag but it is now OOS. This is driving me crazy. I need a certain number of titles in my bag to use a good coupon code, but I can never get them all in stock at the same time.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
"BNSPARKLER" is coming back as "code expired" when I tried to use it. Oh well, I probably could afford to save that $100 anyhow.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sad, and just serves to piss of their potential customers. Even with 25% off, many of the prices still ended up higher than Amazon. They need coupons at the 20-25% level just to approach competitive pricing. Less than that is just not worth it, and customers will shop elsewhere.

Amazon sells Criterions for $15-16 (ever) or $10-14 in stores? I doubt it since they virtually never even drop most of them lower than 40-45% off MSRP.

After the Prime Day non event again yesterday I'll just keep feeding B&N my funds and getting things 20-30% less than Amazon (or 40-50% sometimes) despite B&N ridiculous prices. Yes you have to wait for the sale and discounts, but that's OK too.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If all you buy from BN is Criterions, then you probably get a good deal.

And Shout, kino, Olive, British TV, Warner Archive, Cohen and most other specialty labels during the 40 and 50% sales.
If I don't feel like waiting, I'll get them from other sources, but when I check the prices vs what I could have done at B&N it's rare I pay signficantly (or any) less than what I could have in the end.

The books I want are almost always cheaper through B&N. They are developing a pretty nice LP section

Pretty much anything but Disney which I use Disney Movie Club, $5 Bin items and certain retailer exclusives (like Twilight Time).
Like Ron said earlier if you are happy with the amt you paid for what you wanted and when you wanted it that's all that matters and not the total outlay of pennies, but for me I end up with more for less $$ at B&N at the end of the year and happy with my support of a store that carries anything other than mass market movies.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Again as a reminder the instore coupons still do appear to work. Only a handful of member codes are available today, but there should be a round of the usually every other week 4 day email coupons sent out overnight that can be used in store. These are 15% single item (all customers eligible) for the most part, but each coupon should have a unique ID so most stores treat each as a separate coupon so you can buy as many items as you have coupons. Some members get 1 (or occ 2) 20% single item coupons, but those tend to be in super short supply even in non Sale time. I get quite a few extra 15% so anyone who needs some feel free to ask (PM is easier and declutters the thread itself)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
For anyone still following along it looks like none of the coupons are working in store.

Not sure about online codes.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I keep getting conflicting reports. Some are saying the 15% are working, some not (edit though increasing numbers of failures without an override), The $8 seems to be not working at all at least on Criterion like they were yesterday.

There is a new type coupon that was sent to about half the member and nonmember today that so far has been working -unless something has changed in the last hour or so. If you are buying 3 at a time this is better than either the 15% code and pretty close to have 3 separate 20% codes

"$10 off $50 or more"
Coupon without active code
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/promos/bn-promo.jsp?cid=6100001:xxxxx

I do have extras of this version as well for anyone who would like a couple (or more)

Last edited:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I keep getting conflicting reports. Some are saying the 15% are working, some not (edit though increasing numbers of failures without an override), The $8 seems to be not working at all at least on Criterion like they were yesterday.

There is a new type coupon that was sent to about half the member and nonmember today that so far has been working -unless something has changed in the last hour or so. If you are buying 3 at a time this is better than either the 15% code and pretty close to have 3 separate 20% codes

"$10 off $50 or more"
Coupon without active code
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/promos/bn-promo.jsp?cid=6100001:xxxxx

I do have extras of this version as well for anyone who would like a couple (or more)

Used the one they went me today and it worked like a charm. First purchase this go round.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
More disturbing news now has been pointed out. The language on both the 10/50 and 15/20% codes was modified overnight to specifically exclude Criterions.

Now if the coupon doesn't scan automatically a manual override is much less likely than before

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks