What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Picked up at BN Shoah, Pierre Etaix, and Safety Last today for about $70 total plus made a nice (1st) run through BBY Upgrade and Save. I finally got
Smashed and Rust and Bone and only had to pay $5 each.

Happy, Happy.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The last time I caught a Criterion sale was when I was in Denver 2 summers ago. Picked up Days of Heaven and Cronos at that time. I tend to be VERY selective about purchasing Criterion titles; hence I average about 2 titles per sale. This time it's The Game (only available on BD through Criterion) and Brazil (upgrading from the phenomenal DVD set).

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I've picked up Shoah, On the Waterfront, Jubal, Charade, Lord of the Rings, and If... (I've never seen If..., but it has been highly recommended by some friends). I also got the two-month free membership, so expedited shipping has been free.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The first day of the sale alone I picked up discs and boxsets that came to 19 spine numbers.I'll get at least that many more before the end of the sale.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Picked up Lord of the Flies (among other things) yesterday, and boy is that a beautiful package. That's what a $40-list-price Criterion is all about.

I also brought home the By Brakhage box - which I'm not absolutely positive I'm going to keep, so I'm leaving it sealed while I sleep on it. It was a blind buy, as far as my having never watched any Brakhage, though of course I'd learned a bit about who he was and what he did. I love some experimental stuff now and then, but having now watched a few snippets on YouTube to get a better idea of his work, I'm not so sure I won't just put this off for a while (as brilliant as some of it obviously is), and apply the dollars to a few more of the titles I know I want for all time.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I hit my second trip to the sale yesterday and for the first time tried running through the 5/50 coupon twice on two transactions and it worked!I got the last box set I needed, Letters from Fontanhas along with 2 of the last 4 $30 DVDs I need in one bunch (The Fire Within, Downhill Racer)and then I got Lord of the Flies alongside two with big books that are more expensive to get shipped from eBay, The Furies and Vampyr.I'm planning at least two more trips before the end of the sale, on the Tuesdays with new releases. I'm going to have to order in some of the stuff I want because they don't carry it but they will bring anything into the store so I can use the member discount and coupons so it works great! At this rate, I'll be down to about 20 spines to go at the end of the sale, I've gotten 27 spines at the sale to date and looking to do about 12 more, all for around $500 or so which would be well over twice that amount list price. Gosh this is an expensive hobby lol, but thankfully I'm ALMOST done.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
BN emailed some new coupons today. 15% for nonmembers and 20% if you're lucky enough to get member coupons.

For those who aren't allowed to use 8off40 coupons for pretty much everything, these can be very nice discount to stack on the
in store purchases. For the Criterion sale the coupons are blocked on-line though do work for many other itmes including the 50% off
NonCriterion Art House selections.

I do have more than a few extra 15% off coupons so PM me if you need some and I'm more than happy to share.

Many/Most people are reporting success at using these on top of the 50% and Member discounts, but they are scattereed reports
that some stores POS computer will "Beep" the dreaded "Ineligible Coupon" Again managers have the discretion to override and give
the discount anyway, but obviously a YMMV situation.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Charles Smith said:
Picked up Lord of the Flies (among other things) yesterday, and boy is that a beautiful package. That's what a $40-list-price Criterion is all about.I also brought home the By Brakhage box - which I'm not absolutely positive I'm going to keep, so I'm leaving it sealed while I sleep on it. It was a blind buy, as far as my having never watched any Brakhage, though of course I'd learned a bit about who he was and what he did. I love some experimental stuff now and then, but having now watched a few snippets on YouTube to get a better idea of his work, I'm not so sure I won't just put this off for a while (as brilliant as some of it obviously is), and apply the dollars to a few more of the titles I know I want for all time.
If you read this before "returning the Brakhage"...I don't have a B&N close anymore and usually can scare up better used deals anyway. So you can watch and possibly keep it...I'll buy it from you for 15-20% off what you paid...and I'll pay shipping to me.I'm guessing what the B&N price was and what I can get it for...used. Splitting the difference. Anyway, making the offer cause...I want it(especially if vol 1&2)...and it deserves to be watched, even if you'll only watch it once.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
You want to pay him 20% less then what he paid?He can just return it for a full refund if he doesn't want it.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oops, I'm afraid I did indeed return it yesterday morning. And given current activities, I probably wouldn't have been ready to sit down with it for a while, even for a once-through. But that's not a bad idea for such a case as this. It could work for both parties if the timing was right.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Charles Smith said:
Oops, I'm afraid I did indeed return it yesterday morning. And given current activities, I probably wouldn't have been ready to sit down with it for a while, even for a once-through. But that's not a bad idea for such a case as this. It could work for both parties if the timing was right.
My offer can stand for up to 6 months. I haven't found any used, yet. But if you re-buy it...watch it and decide it isn't for you, I'll buy it for $35 shipped(media mail should cost $2).

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Moe Dickstein said:
At this rate, I'll be down to about 20 spines to go at the end of the sale, I've gotten 27 spines at the sale to date and looking to do about 12 more, all for around $500 or so which would be well over twice that amount list price. Gosh this is an expensive hobby lol, but thankfully I'm ALMOST done.
which titles are left that you do not have?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Adam_S said:
which titles are left that you do not have?
Since I keep obsessive lists, that's easy to answer. The one missing from this is "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" which I wouldn't get on DVD at this point since the Blu is coming in September.The "&" means 2 disc, the "@" means I think it might get a Blu Upgrade and to hold off, and non base $40 list prices are marked.134 - Haxan159 - Red Beard176 - The Killers &191 - Jubilee 217 - Tokyo Story @&233 - Stray Dog 240 - Early Summer 273 - Thieves Highway274 - Night and the City278 - L'Eclisse &314 - Pickpocket334 - Harlan County, USA335 - Elevator to the Gallows &338 - Equinox &341 - A Canturbury Tale &355 - Hands Over The City &358 - Pandora's Box &363 - Mouchette 403 - Cria Cuervos &405 - The Threepenny Opera &406 - Martha Graham DanceFilm &431 - The Thief of Baghdad &442 - Twenty Four Eyes $30448 - Le Deuxieme Souffle475 - Friends of Eddie Coyle $30480 - The Human Condition $80491 - Z

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks like you have all the Blurays then -- until tomorrow with the 3 disc releasing, but I suspect you already have these on preorder or
on call at BN for pickup?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks