What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I haven;t heard anything either direction. It would seem that if it was starting next week there would have been some
talk somewhere on the internet, but nada.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
C'mon!

I don't always take advantage of the sale...but I've got Criterions I NEED to get! Looking at you Eraserhead and My Darling Clementine! Plus a couple more, I'm pretty sure.

It Happened One Night (11-18), for sure.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
just used my Citi Rewards points to pick up several B&N gift cards - enough to purchase My Darling Clementine, Nashville, The Big Chill, and It Happened One Night. Definitely waiting for this sale.Very impatiently.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
50% off MSRP Criterion Sale at BN and BN.com is now active on almost all active Bluray and DVD stock.
November 11, 2014 through the end of the day December 1, 2014

I'm assuming a select number of Art House films will be on 50% sale also, but I haven't checked.

There aren't any special coupons active for this week other than the standard New Member coupons and
a few USPS member Coupons for those on BN mailing list. So far it looks like coupons are active online for
those who have them -- this is sometimes only for a few hours until BN block online coupon use, though in July
they were active the entire sale.

Week 2 and Week 3 should have some sort of extra discounts available, but it's too early to tell what yet.

Special Gift Card promo is active again this year until Dec 1 -- Buy $75 GC and get a free $10 Promotional GC.
Usually can be used once per online account, but in the past you could get a $10 GC for every $75 GC increment.
Note however the Promo GC will NOT be activated until 12/26 -- for online use a eGC will be sent to you sometime
around Christmas.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I bit of a surprise - I received some one time use 15% Off Single Item coupons in the emails today good through Sunday night.

I have some extras so if anyone can use them, let me know through PM how many you could use. These can be used online or instore and are OK for member/nonmembers -- usually restrictions apply No Nooks, No preorders, etc

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Picked up a few today. Snagged My Darling ClementineThe Shooting and Ride in the whirlwind. The complete Tati set. All for under $40 after a handful of coupons and a $50 GC.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Week one damage report: shields remain up, wallet depletion minimal as the $100 barrier was not penetrated.Late rayLate springShooting ride in the whirlwindRififiThe big chill

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Reports now out of a few coupons that will become available over the next couple weeks including the Black Friday
coupon of 30% off .

This is from one of the most reliable BN sources and is in line with the BF coupons of the past few years -- generally these
codes are available the Wed prior to Thanksgiving. this year the coupon looks like it will be active from 11/27 at 12:01 am EST
and expire 12/1 2:59am EST online or at close of business 11/30

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Picked up La Dolce Vita, Tess and the Freshman over the weekend (up in Poughkeepsie of all places ;) :P ) w/ help of 3x 15-20%-off coupons plus Amex Rewards GC, so no actual $ out-of-pocket. :biggrin:

Was also eyeing Polanski's Macbeth, the recent (supposedly Fellini-esque) Great Beauty, Bergman's Wild Strawberries and Persona and one or two others that escape my memory now -- the Poughkeepsie B&N's Criterion section is pretty small... compared to Manhattan's Tribeca and Union Sq ones anyway.

I did order one of those fancy-shmancy $75 GCs w/ the promo offer (and Discover's 5% cashback for online purchase), but they took too long to send it to me -- weird that since it's just an eGC -- so will probably wait for this coming weekend use it... that is, if there will be new coupons available.

BTW, Poughkeepsie is beautiful this time of year... as was the Metro North ride up along the Hudson River... :) though I ended up not having time to photograph much of any of that... :P

_Man_

PS: What would people highly recommend for a boxset released in the past year or so to use a 30%-plus-off coupon, assuming that happens during BF weekend? Last BF, think I used it (and at least 1 of those promo-deal $75 GCs) on the big Zatoichi set. :biggrin: Only other multi-film Criterion boxset I have now is Kieślowski's Three Color trilogy... unless you also count the Yojimbo/Sanjuro pairing.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
ManW_TheUncool said:
PS: What would people highly recommend for a boxset released in the past year or so to use a 30%-plus-off coupon, assuming that happens during BF weekend? Last BF, think I used it (and at least 1 of those promo-deal $75 GCs) on the big Zatoichi set. :biggrin: Only other multi-film Criterion boxset I have now is Kieślowski's Three Color trilogy... unless you also count the Yojimbo/Sanjuro pairing.
Trying to remember which big sets have come out in 2014, but

I love the Demy boxset.

Tati is good though less my cup. I'd get the Cassavetes, Rosselini, or Shoah box ahead of it unless you're a big fan

The Blank box coming out on the 25th is a bit of a mystery to me, but looks really interesting

Scorscese is nice but probably at the bottom of the box set list

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For those that are interested in Online orders there are a couple online only discounts available

BNRMN18 is a 20% single item code supposed to be active from 12:01am Eastern Nov 18 through Nov 19 2:59am Eastern though it looks to active already so I'm not sure if they got the dates messed up and it was supposed to be a Monday only code BNBLOGGER 15% online single item code active from 12:01am Eastern Nov 18 through Nov 19 2:59am Eastern -- again it's active now.

There haven't been any other coupons announced for the next 2 weeks, but I'd be shocked if there aren't at least one other set in addition to the
expected BF coupon

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I always find something of interest, but honestly think I should start watching some of the titles on Hulu first to satisfy my curiosity.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Got me my reserved copy of It Happened One Night at my local B&N this afternoon.

It's a good thing they suggested that I reserve a copy to be held for me or else I would have been SOL!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
New coupon discounts should be available for this weekend (Thurs though Sunday) -- basically 15% off..
These appear to be the usual 15% off single item/single use and able to be used by anyone
either online or instore.

There was some hope of something a bit larger, but for those that don't get BN email with such offers, as usual
I usually get extras for sharing. Just let me know. by PM if you can use some.

Nothing more on the BF coupons, but everything is still pointed toward a 30% off then 25% online code for Dec 1,
There will probably be several 20/25% off coupons released between Dec 4 and Xmas.

Everyone is still expecting the BBC 50% sale either the 1st or 2nd week of December (I'm betting on the latter) and then bigger 40% off
off Blurays (and probably DVD) sale from Dec 16 through Xmas. No word if they will run a B1G1 Criterion sale in December like they did last year.
An employee yesterday seemed to confirm the 40% sale.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Got a 20% off one item coupon this weekend and used it on the Tati box to take the price down to $50. Also ordered The Red Shoes and the Big Star #1 Record/Radio City hybrid SACD. Total under $100 US including shipping and tax. Not complaining.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
When I picked the Tati up with a few other Criterions the other day, my cashier split it into two orders to get all the coupons to work (which is fine with me, thankyouverymuch). But when she applied the $8/$40 coupon, it took some off each item instead of taking the $8 off just the one big item -- just like the $5/$50 one works.

Even so, the Tati came down to $40.54 plus tax: 50%, member 10%, coupon 20%, and $4.45 (from the $8 coupon).

The regular $40 Criterions all came down to $15.20+ each.

My God, I love this sale.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The 30% Black Friday coupon is now pretty much a given and will likely be sent out on Wed.
It will be active through end of business Sunday 11/30 instore ( 2:59 am EST 12/1 online)

It will be nonmember and the same coupon for everyone once it's officially released.
It has an online code and separate instore code so it probably could be use 2 times per customer.

Since these generic codes don't seem to attach to an account once it's used in-store, in theory
you could probably use it more than once if your clerk will let you an different purchases -- or if
you go to a different store or come back the next day and the clerk doesn't remember. It seems to
be more the Honor System rather than electronically enforced.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Got me my reserved copy of It Happened One Night at my local B&N this afternoon.
After reading Robert A. Harris's rave of the disc over in the Blu-Ray forum, I made an impulse run to Barnes & Noble to pick it up. I was pretty impressed; they had close to a dozen copies in stock.

$39.99 (MSRP)
$19.99 (50% Off Criterion Sale)
$17.99 (10% Off Member In-Store)
$14.39 (20% Off Member Coupon from mail)
+$1.15 (Albany County sales tax)
===================================
$15.54 -- Not Bad!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Picked that one up today as well along with Love Streams and All That Jazz,

Now just waiting for the BF coupon and/or CyberMonday discounts to get the Tati box for sure and probably the Blank set if I can get the
discount on both sets plus L'avventura before the sale ends next Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks