What's new

Barnes & Noble 50% off ALL Criterion titles (11/1 - 11/21) (1 Viewer)

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator
B&N is having a 50% off all Criterion (Blu-Ray & DVD) titles sale starting tomorrow, November 1st through November 21st. Any title released November 21st or before is eligible. Pre-orders are excluded from the sale.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dang this guy is fast, he's already updated his list since I posted mine an hour ago -- so i'll update here. More fuel to the fire. BN Member online codes 20% off Single item M4P8Y3E (one time use maybe) -- ACTIVE NOV 3 and expires Nov 7 10% off single item F7C8V8N (one time use sort of) Non Member online codes 20% single item B9B4H4W with American Express CC (one time use but not really) expiration 11/21. To use the coupon multiple times just sign out of your account, add a Movie and reenter the code, then sign into your account and check out. Seems to work as often as you like. 15% off Single item E9A4D3D (single use, but.... ) ACTIVE NOV 3 expires Nov 7 10% off entire order B3P8E4D multiple use without tricks expire Nov 9 7% off entire order E7E4K8K multiple use 5% off entire order W9D3B7F multiple use ebates and Bank of America Add it Up programs both offering 8% rebates for using their sites. ebates also offering $10 BN gift card after 1st $25 purchase through their site 2 month free BN Membership trial if effect allows Free 2-3 day Shipping on all order plus automatic 10% off for instore orders There is also a 20% single item instore coupon (using American Express) which can bring instore purchase of the standard $40 Criterions down to $14.40+tax when combined with the Free Membership trial. [HTF seems to not wish me to post a link, but google "Dvdtalk Barnes and Noble lasermovies" and the 1st thread should be the master thread --- See the printable coupon about 1/2 way down the page There are also some member only coupon shown at the bottom of the page that can be printed and often will work instore, but these are YMMV particularly the 8 off 40 since clerks and managers interpret the language quite differently about how to consider the $40 price. There are rumors of possible upcoming coupons of 15-20% possibly being available by the weekend, but no details yet.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
12 Angry Men is released on the 22nd, damn it. But hey, it can wait a bit. I'm already going to be doing some major damage.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sorry to report, but it looks like the site has fixed the loophole that allowed you to use the coupons more than once per account.. It appears you now have to sign in before you add the code.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The damage is done. I visited three B&Ns yesterday and re-stimulated the economy.

I'm now up to date on the newest must-haves, and as always there were old ones to pad out the day's take. Most satisfying. I can't help but wish they'd run this sale more like every six months, given the eight-month dry spell following the November one.

Though I live close to the Big City, my own area is oddly bereft of full-service B&Ns so it's always a drive for me. Not that I don't enjoy it. There are two locations I normally go to, not close together but I include other things and make a nice day of it. This has always covered me for Criterions. However, yesterday's third store was a purely lucky find due to somewhere else I was heading, and it's a good thing I decided to stop in because as it turned out, I needed all three stores to fill the want list. Two were already out of "The Killing" and "Phantom Carriage" BLUs, along with certain older titles. The sales staff said it's been a busy week with this sale.

Kudos to B&N for taking their Criterion section seriously. I usually find a few good sale prices on other titles, too. Yesterday I scored as-good-as-or-better-than-Amazon pricing on several other want-list items, and each store had a few of those titles discounted differently from the others.

With the continuing disappearance of so many of the good things in life, i.e. brick-and-mortar book/music/movie stores, the larger B&Ns are still a joy to visit.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I picked up The Killing and Dazed and Confused, and pre-ordered The Three Colors. It's too bad 12 Angry Men is being released the week after the sale is done. That title will have to wait until the next B&N sale.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Has anyone had success using the $8-off-$40 coupon in conjunction with the Criterion sale?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not very well practiced at these B&N Criterion sales. The couple of times I have used them, I haven't had any coupons or anything...just took the 50% off deal.

Are there any in-store coupons for non-members of the B&N?

I don't have AMEX.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Chas in CT said:
Has anyone had success using the $8-off-$40 coupon in conjunction with the Criterion sale?
Reading other forums, this coupon seems to be extremely YMMV. Some have been able to use it for multiple purchases for any Criterion getting multiple discs for $10ea and some haven't been able to get to work with anything. I'm in the latter group. The language of how to figure the $40 is beyond confusing. Many report that the 39.99 regular price discs work just bey scanning the coupons, some people report convincing clerks to use an override, and others can't get anything (me again). The decent news is I was able to get a bunch of discs with the 2 20% coupons (teh first member only one expired already).
Mike Frezon said:
I'm not very well practiced at these B&N Criterion sales. The couple of times I have used them, I haven't had any coupons or anything...just took the 50% off deal. Are there any in-store coupons for non-members of the B&N? I don't have AMEX.
the dvdtalk master thread (google dvdtalk bn lasermovies since the forum doesn;t seem to like posting links to other places) currently doesnt list any instore coupons, but a couple online codes. There are some reports from the insiders that there should be some coupons released later this week including a 25% off -- not sure if that will be members only, instore/online or both, and maybe a single use code. I guess we'll find the details later.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
On a lark I tried a 10% coupon code on bn.com and it accepted it. So rolling the dice I tried a 20% coupon (with AMEX payment) instead and it also accepted it. Wound up getting Three Colors on BD for $31.99. We'll see if it actually ships...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Haven't gotten around to checking this thread since a week or two ago.

But I actually managed to get the $8-off-40 to work for Fanny & Alexander BD a couple days ago, and it actually wasn't any harder than usual -- the (relatively new?) salesclerk/cashier did make sure to read thru the fine print and also mentioned that there are very specific instructions on how to apply it though I'm not sure whether she's just a bit new there or not. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised though I'm aware that quite a few folks have gotten it to work for F&A, if not all Criterions.

I also picked up Cronos BD w/ a 25%-off coupon while I was there -- received one of those unique code coupons at one of 3 email addies and was planning to use that for my backup plan if they rejected the 8-off-40 on F&A. I suspect they're only sending those kinds of coupons to relatively inactive B&N accounts/customers (and maybe only to non-members) although they seem usable by anyone (for just one single transaction whether online or in-store). In fact, I used to get those kinds at 2 addies (that I rarely ever use for B&N), but only received it at the one this time around -- I think it's the one I've probably used least (to make an actual purchase), ie. probably only made one order more than a year ago.

I'll probably go pick up the Three Colors BD set (and maybe one or two others) on Thurs or Friday -- I'd think the 8-off-40 should work for that, but will bring along the 20%-off AMEX one (and maybe whatever other new 20%-plus-off one that might appear by then).

Mike,

Did you receive one of the 25%-off unique code coupons this past week? Check your SPAM folder. Maybe you'll get one this week, if they send out some more. Oddly, some folks also report being able to find them on the web just by googling -- some even found people posting them on Facebook.

There's also rumor that they might be sending out some better coupons (like 40%-off) for some(?) former Borders members, so make sure you check your email accounts for any...

_Man_

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'll be trying that coupon on "F&A" or "Three Colors" this weekend. Thanks for the heads up!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So what did y'all end up w/?

Any former-Borders members end up w/ a 40%-off coupon?

I didn't really get that much this time around in part because I only made it out to the closest store (w/ a Criterion section) just once -- well, they closed just before I got there the 2nd time. Was going to make a final small batch of orders last night w/ all the 20%-off online coupons surfacing recently, but got too tired and fell asleep, missing the sale's endtime.

Only ended up getting these:

* Fanny & Alexander (w/ the $8 coupon + 10% in-store discount)

* Cronos (w/ 20%-off coupon + 10% in-store discount)

* Kieslowski's Three Colors (w/ 20%-off coupon online + 15% Discover cashback)

* Au Revoir Les Enfants (w/ 20%-off coupon online + 15% Discover cashback)

Did also get in on Amazon's brief ~$12 deal on Beauty & the Beast yesterday.

BTW, I'm reading that B&N might be scaling back some more and maybe only do 1 Criterion sale next year. Hopefully, there will be plenty of solid coupons to use for that one sale next year, which might also end up being their very last for all we know...

_Man_

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oh great, more potentially lousy news. What a day it's been.

I didn't see any 40% coupon for former Borders members! I did get a note extending my current B&N membership by three months.

Did plenty of damage with two days of store visits this month. Plenty o' damage. Lots of Criterion and several other nice things found at great sale prices. Don't even want to think about the total, but I caught up on a good bit of backlog, which feels great.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That's sad news for us Criterion fans if B&N pulls back on these sales. I usually save my Criterion purchases until these occur. I only bought three titles this time, all with the 50% off plus another 10% via the AAA membership discount, plus free shipping. The Killing Dazed and Confused Three Colors I am already building a list for the next sale... hopefully. Godzilla 12 Angry Men The Lady Vanishes

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Should we expect the next B & N Criterion sale to occur in May?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks