What's new

Barnes and Noble Criterion Online sale 06-30-14-07-28-14! (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
Anyone know why The Night Of The Hunter Blu-ray/DVD combo has an MSRP of $50? I thought the original Blu-ray-only release was $40.
The original was definitely $50 as mentioned. I think because it included the 2nd Bonus Materials disc. I think there were 5-6 of
those at that price which were just a single movie.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Finally just watched my Blu-Ray of The Darjeeling Limited, and that put this sale back in my mind. Ended up spending over $90.00:

[*]Foreign Correspondent
[*]12 Angry Men
[*]A Hard Day's Night
[*]Fanny & Alexander
[/list]
I was able to successfully use coupon code J3P4X4Y to save $3.00. It's a members only coupon, but unlike some of the better coupons, it doesn't require you to be a new member.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
BN did send out more email coupons today if anyone is interested.Mostly 15% off One Item (single use), but can be used online or in-store. If anyone is interestedI do a several spares to share. Just send me a PM and let me know how many you can use.Coupons expire at the end of business Sunday night 7/20 and around 3am Eastern Monday morning 7/21.Preorder not eligibleOnline order will only allow one coupon per order.In store the variability in endless -- some stores don't allow them on sale items at all (fairly unusual),some store will allow one per customer daily (also rare), most will allow one coupon per item but some willonly do one per purchase so you need to split transaction, and some stores will take as many coupons as you handthem all in one fell swoop.The 'New Member" coupons seem to work for all members regardless of whether they are new or not andseemingly can be re-used on the same account -- basically the fine print isn't exactly letter of the lawfor in-store purchases though it is one time per account online though the new member Dates still don't seem to matter.The $8 off 40 coupon still is generating controversy all these years later on how it should be used -- online thedefinition of $40 is very strict, in store it seems to mean just about anything. As long as you can get the clerkto follow the instruction on the coupon it seems to work for any of the 39.99+ MSRP Criterions.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've been buying in the B&N Criterion sale for some years now, importing to the UK, but a box of 10 Criterion Blu-rays arrived this week - clearly marked at FULL retail price, and not the price I actually paid - after I'd paid the duty and 'ransom' of some £70 (around $120). Before the box arrived, but after I'd paid the duty, I had an online chat with a B&N rep whose tactic was simply to deny they'd done anything wrong, and they'd marked the goods correctly. Not so.With the proof now in my hands, I've since politely emailed B&N customer service three times. I don't really mind paying duty if I must, but paying DOUBLE the duty because of their error is just not on.

Their tactic now appears to simply ignore me - not even the courtesy of a reply. Not good at all; I've spent many $100s with them, stuck with them as doing so became less and less viable (no incentives really for overseas members - no vouchers, etc.) but no more.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I know it's not always the standard practice, but aren't the customs declarations forms supposed to indicate the actual value of the goods, not necessarily what was paid? If that's the case, then BN would seem to be correct in listing the MSRP value (though to the detriment of your bank account).

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not much in the way of extra discounts for now, but on the last day of the sale on Monday there is an expected online only
20% off code. This will likely be in the form of a one item, single use per account generic code, but may be useful for those
hoping to get another purchase in before November.

There's always hope of some Labor Day deal, but unlike many BN sales that week/weekend doesn;t seem to be standardized
and year to year there seems to be different forms -- 40% off Selected, B2G1 Criterions, 50% off the Top 100 items, so
stay tuned.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Malcolm R said:
I know it's not always the standard practice, but aren't the customs declarations forms supposed to indicate the actual value of the goods, not necessarily what was paid? If that's the case, then BN would seem to be correct in listing the MSRP value (though to the detriment of your bank account).
No; the customs declaration should only indicate what has been paid for the goods to import them. B&N are in the wrong and they know it; worse, they are not of a mind to debate it. Their customer service has been non-existent.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Malcolm R said:
I know it's not always the standard practice, but aren't the customs declarations forms supposed to indicate the actual value of the goods, not necessarily what was paid?
Absolutely not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks