What's new

Barco 1208 Port 3 or 5 better? (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I've just come into a Barco 1208 projector recently. I've fired it up, and done some basic adjustments to project a picture (from my VCR) onto the wall just to make sure it all works.

I'm wanting to connect a PC (I guess you could call it a HTPC) directly to the projector. I know I can do this with a custom VGA to DB9 cable (into Port 3) or with a VGA to 5-BNC cable (for Port 5). I can readily buy the VGA to 5-BNC cables for a reasonable price ($15 for 15ft). But even a short 2 foot VGA to DB9 would be $75+.

So, my main question is: Does using Port 3 give a better quality image than using Port 5? If I had to guess, I would think that Port 5 would yield a better image as you can use mini-coax shielded cable for each signal, as opposed to using wires that terminate on tiny pins on the DB9 for a connection. But I don't know the answer for sure, that's why I asking ;) I guess in theory RGBHV is RGBHV, so I wouldn't think there would be a huge difference if much at all.

TIA for any advice/input,
Mike W.

PS: I've read places that either Port 3 or Port 5 is more friendly with regard to Positive/Negative sync autodetection. (I think if you use port 3, you need to use something like PowerStrip to force a negative pulse to get good results, whereas with port 5 you don't, but I may have that backwards. :D )

I did find this info regarding Port 3 and Port 5. I'll post here FYI:

But I still wouldn't mind hearing from anyone with "real" experience with these two ports. Is there THAT much of an advantage to using Port 3 over Port 5 to justify the expensive custom cable required to use it?

Thanks again!
Mike W.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
This has been discussed heavily in the past, I will provide you a link via PM.

I don't recall concrete answers though.... :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks