What's new

Barbara Steisand - The Television Specials (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
There are definitely too many releases - just when I think it may be possible to slow down on spending so much on the dang things I noticed this item at my local retail outlet and decided "what the heck". I'm not what you call an avid fan of Barbara but she has a wonderful voice so how could I resist? It was not cheap but the packaging was quite nice which helped. There are 5 TV specials presented covering the years 1965 to 1973. As well you get a 58 page booklet. I like the idea of the split box - you seperate the two halves and then are able to pull out the five disc digi pak and booklet. They put some thought into it and it's a nice effort. Have not watched any of it yet but heard it was well done and coming from Warners I'm sure it is.

The five shows are:

My Name Is Barbara - 1965
Color Me Barbara - 1966
The Belle Of 14th Street - 1967
Barbara Streisand: A Happening In Central Park - 1968
Barbara Steisand...and Other Musical Instruments - 1973

You have a choice of the orignal Mono, 2.0 Stereo and 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Mark - It seemed like there was not much interest from this forum - seeing that you are the first to respond! But I will say that it is very well done with the audio and video in great condition, especially given their age and the medium (tv). I found myself really enjoying the Central Park and Other Musical Instruments shows. Perhaps being a little older and having more experience made for a more "laid back" sort of Barbara. Not that the older programs were less enjoyable to watch but I also preferred more of the songs she sang on the later ones. If you are a fan of hers I would definitely recommend it and also check out Amazon as there is a fellow there who posted and has a site - you can download some video clips from the dvd. But of course the audio is much better on the dvd! The original Mono recording comes across best. It's unfortunate that the full two hour Cental Park concert could not be used - if it exists as perhaps it was edited and the dvd version is all you can get. It isn't cheap but I didn't mind spending the money.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Yeah, guess there's not much interest in Babs here. I'm hoping my copy arrives Friday. Does it sound like they went back to the original stereo masters for Central Park or is it just a digitized stereo effect?

There is additional CP video available, as I've seen a few snippets. I still hope that one day the whole thing will be pieced together and released. I have the overture, "More Than You Know" and "All The Things You Are."

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The quality is really great, although "Color Mr Barbra" as it is not as sharp and defined as the other 4. The stereo 5.1 makes these specials sound the best I've ever heard.
Tower has it on sale for $45...a great deal!
I"m very glad i purchased this set.
I never thought I'd see a duet between Barbra and Ray Charles , not mention Jason Robards!

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Ken, your right, the original mono recording sounds very nice but the 5.1 does expand on it for the better. Think I will rewatch one or two of the later shows in 5.1 as as I switched to the mono after the first two.

I can't believe I misspelled her name on the title.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
One interesting tidbit: My Name Is Barbra uses an alternate take in the concert section on "Lover, Come Back To Me" and the introduction to the "Funny Girl" medley. Not sure if it's a case of Barbra preferring the different takes, or perhaps damage to the original elements, but either way it's interesting. Haven't checked out Color Me Barbra to see if the same holds true there.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
"Lover" is the only reported change so far. In the original take she wasn't with the orchestra, and looked twice at the conductor, trying to get it together.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
i'm still awaiting the arrival of these t.v. events from Amazon...but i am hoping that a couple are an improvement in the LDs from long ago.
There certainly does not seem to be much excitement about the arrival of Bab's work on DVD...but i have been hoping for these for some time. Do i dare hold my breath for significant others....such as HBO specials from the Divine Bette and Liza?...i do remember the energy and wonder with these.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I've got the set, it's like buttah :)

btw, did anyone pick up the Warner Bros. box set of hers that was on sale at Target this week (picked it up for $20)? What's Up Doc was the only true "classic" film of hers in the set but it's worth having got now to keep us over until A Star Is Born and Yentl come out next year on DVD, Babs has always confirmed recorded commentaries for both movies

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark

Bette's DIVA LAS VEGAS got an oversees DVD issue, and is desperately needed here. I was really hoping for a KISS MY BRASS DVD, as I saw that one live and it was even better than DIVA...

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I'm getting this for my mom for Christmas. She's a HUGE Barbara fan. I saw it on Amazon for only $38.99 with free shipping, while Best Buy has it for $67.99!! Why the massive difference in price?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks