Banana Help

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Al.Anderson, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    Okay, this is embarrassing, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to connect a wire to these banana plugs. (I've only even used the kid with screws.) Can someone help? [​IMG] (Not my best picture, but I'm late for a business trip.)

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Don't be late! I have seen them work two ways:

Sometimes there is a hole in the threads where the top arrow is. Feed your wire through here then screw it onto the main body until the speaker wire is tight against the center piece. I have seen others where you feed the wire through the back (arrow on the right) , bend the individual strands up around the bottom of the threaded piece and tighten it into the center body.

3. raehza

raehza Stunt Coordinator

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/Speaker_cable_termination.pdf This may help. Ray

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Monoprice also has video installation tutorials on their website. Walks you through the two different kinds of banana plugs.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I am not entirely a fan of this type of banana. That ferrule doesn't fully seat because the wire itself often keeps it from doing so, and has a tendency to loosen with any movement of the wire (especially if using large AWG wire), so keep an eye on these ones. Plus, there's nothing to stop the ferrule from unscrewing. There's no need to remove the actual banana tip, as that is not intended to come off :)

6. raehza

raehza Stunt Coordinator

If done right, the plugs connect really tightly to the wire, but remember to NOT forget the little banana plug inserts you should have gotten with your plugs. They look like small copper plugs. They sit on TOP of the piece of wire that pokes out of the bottom part of the plug. It helps to produce a good connection and tightens the plug snug. Ray Little adjustment to my post. I have actually received a few of these Monoprice plugs today since I had ordered to few the first time around when I ordered mine from Blue Jeans. The Blue Jean plugs come with that little copper plug, the Monoprice DONT, BUT the actual plug tip that you haev screwed off, has a little "extended" piece that goes deep into the plug housing. It seems that it touches the wire and tightens it in place.

7. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    Thanks to all! I tried the "bend a little over the edge" at first, but it disn't seem like it supplied enough area connection to bare wire. From all your descriptions and the video, I was wrong. I can't believe the damn receiver came in one day. I tried to hook everything up in one 45 minutes and failed. Now it's sitting there wiating for me all unplugged. I'm sure it's lonely.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There are a wide variety of them. The ones from Parts Express and Blue Jeans Cable have the extra little "slug" that goes inside to keep pressure on the wire, these are the ones I like for the price vs. the ones shown in the original post that do not have that piece (top image obviously): [​IMG] On my receiver side, I now use the locking bananas from Blue Jeans (similar to GLS) [​IMG]

9. raehza

raehza Stunt Coordinator

Yea my first Plugs I bought (unfortunately bought too few) were from Blue Jean and I like the slugs they provide. Once I decided to buy more, I looked at Monoprice and saw them for much cheaper than at Blue Jean and at first I assumed that they all come with the slugs... I was wrong, the monoprice don't come with them and now I am contemplating whether I should use them or not. Sending them back etc. is a pain and a waste of money. I don't have kids that would pull on the wires etc so I guess I'll be fine with the slug-less Plugs, but for future reference, I'd always but the Blue Jean ones with the slugs. Ray