What's new

Bale looses it during filming... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Agreed (as above), although some of the posts here lead me to believe that talent yelling at a manager/director is just about the worst thing you can do in Hollywood or anywhere else. If that were truly the case, I'd have been fired years ago. :D

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I certainly am not. We obviously use words in different ways. You say, "I never said Mel Gibson specifically". I point you to where you specifically used his name, and you say, "that was hypothetical". Maybe it was, but it doesn't get more specific.

I have addressed your points about Polanski in my prior posts, and I can't explain it any better than I already have. Let's leave it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If I said what I think, I'd rile a lot of people (maybe even enough to yell at me :D ), but I'll bet you can guess it from prior posts.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

True. But I'm not going to yell at you. You like B&W films and as far as I know, you aren't my manager. So you are ok in my book, Michael. :emoji_thumbsup:

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Not that it's a a justification, but what Kazan did was a direct assault on the people in the film-making industry, not an off the clock criminal hobby. That might have just a little teensy weensy something to do with how people "in the business" react.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I don't see much mystery there, if one is willing to step back and look at the two situations unemotionally. Polanski's actions were against a single victim, who, by the time he won the Oscar, had publicly forgiven him. Kazan's actions, for those who believed them wrong (and I understand you don't share that belief), had many victims -- or, to be fair, Kazan's actions were part of a process that had many victims, a number of whom were still alive when Kazan was honored and had not forgiven him.

Those different circumstances, I submit, had much more to do with the disparate reactions than any relative evaluation of the severity of their offenses.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Yes, transgressions against your own (both in the Hollywood sense, and the Communist Party member sense) often hits harder and leaves a much deeper scar, especially in an industry that is elitist by very nature.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Absolutely. I wasn't singling out anything, except to point that Kazan was betraying both establishments from the inside. It wasn't like it was a hostile outsider trying to bring down either, it was an insider who betrayed them, a far worse transgression in the eyes of the betrayed. On The Waterfront would be a far less powerful film if Terry Malloy wasn't Charlie's brother (or if Charlie hadn't betrayed Terry first).

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
KROQ FM-The World Famous KROQ
Christian Bale called in during the Kevin & Bean show here in Los Angeles this morning. The audio is currently right there on the front page of the website. They have been using sound clips from the tirade this past week whenever they could and even had one of their staff impersonate Christian Bale for some skits. Apparently Bale actually heard it, found it amusing, and called in to give his side of things.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sounded like an ordinary guy that just had a bad day. It is interesting that the original rant was miked, but the apology that he probably gave to the guy later on wasn't. That is whole problem with snippets of private conversations being publicly released; they are released with out any real context of the events that occur before or after the "juicy" part.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
But some people believe that there is never an excuse for behaviour like that. In that case, the context is irrelevant. I am not one of them but I've met them (and unfortunately dated them. Ugh. They are unable to understand the substance of anything more expressive than HAL 9000's voice.)

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks