What's new

Bale looses it during filming... (1 Viewer)

Diallo B

Screenwriter
honestly, what is the big deal here?

i know many of you have witnessed far worse than what was heard here.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
This phenomenon is not limited to show business. I've had numerous law partners in the past who were difficult personalities, but people tolerated them because they generated major billings.

Occasionally you'd see what happened when such a person loses his position. I particularly remember one guy whose big cash-cow client suddenly filed for bankruptcy one day. The speed with which people who had deferred to him just a few months earlier now turned on him was almost dizzying.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Ain't It Cool News chimed in on the side of Bale, but reasonably so:

Why AICN Doesn't Post Links To Stories Like This Christian Bale thing that's everywhere!

Some of the text:

No one seemed to notice the typo in the thread title, "looses it".
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

troy evans

Screenwriter
Let me see, his friend dies. His family treats him like a piece of shit. They disrespect his wife. DP who has been known to and directed not to be walking on set (you wouldn't walk into a surgery and start messing with the lights in the middle of it). He's filmed this scene how many times already? He's spent 12 to 16 hours on the set everyday for weeks with minimal sleep. With all that going on who wouldn't "loose it". Bale is a human being not the super hero he portrays on screen. Maybe some here won't admit this but they have probably done the same or far worse for less of a transgression. I have lost my temper and have been nothing short of an ass at times. Sometimes life gets the better of you. We all have been there. Bale just had one of those days and he got feed up. Above all, if you listen to what he says to the guy minus the cursing, he's absolutely right.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Hell, my mother and I have said worse to each other.

It's interesting, all the 'shame on Bale' remarks all over the place while the very first thought to enter my mind upon hearing the recording was simply, 'that was fantastic! I loved that!'. Oddly enough I had the same reaction to Michael Richards and his racist stand-up rant. I guess that says something about a guy like me who finds such offensive stuff as these to guys going off the deep end to be so ridiculously funny. Then again, the fact that many people are incapable of laughing off the absurdity of these situations also says something.

What that says is that either I'm a total asshole, or a lot of people are too uptight about these things and need to relax....the latter may be true, but probably not as true as the former. The phrase "Why So Serious?" have never meant so much as it does now.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I know I've acted like an angry nut before (although never to that level) but I still was an asshole every time that I did. And in all fairness, it's not like Christian Bale is trying to say that he was justified in what he said. Despite that I think he acted like a jerk, I feel bad for him to some degree since this is something that shouldn't have been leaked out by a rat in the production.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I gotta side with Bale on this one, F that guy for not knowing when the hell to sit still. I can only imagine trying to be serious in a movie and fake some emotion and having some asshat waling around and laughing or whatever would disrupt a scene in the process of filming.
Everyone loses their temper and bale, "the movie star" is no different. He may have gone a bit over board, but who doesn't at one point or another, and if the AICN article is correct the guy stepped over the line for actors and had been warned multiple times, he was a habitual line stepper.

On a side but related note: I always wonder how magazines can put stupid things like "They're just like us" in their magazines, but it's for people who put celebrities on a pedestal and forget that they're human like the rest of us.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

This is true to a degree but then again anyone of us here would have been fired and perhaps been arrested. I've known people who got terroristic threatening charges for A LOT less.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Are you assuming that anyone here could be cast in and carry a $200 million tentpole action picture? Because otherwise it's a ludicrous comparison.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

That wasn't really the point I was trying to make but it goes back to why celebs can get away with anything. With what you said, they aren't people just like us. That's why they can kill, get DUIs, smoke pot and so on without getting anything more than a slap on the wrist.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

This is NOTHING like that at all and the comparison is pathetic at best.

Hurlbut was screwing around during filming (again, as even Bale says it wasn't the first time) and when it actually disrupted a scene (Hurlbut's the damn DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY and should know better than to tamper with things while shooting) Bale had enough and went off. I'll bet Hurlbut got his act together and did anything to be as well-behaved as he could afterwards.

These things happen ALL the time in various situations - someone screws something up again and again and is called out on it - sometimes worse than Bale did...this is nothing. So don't make some crap comparison to celebrities killing, getting DUI's and all that unrelated nonsense, because it is just that - nonsense. This same thing could happen on a local hockey team, or a business environment like a store - employer/employee, or corporate setting. Strangers get into these things on the street sometimes over one driver nearly hitting someone, or running a red light, and if those examples are too far-fetched then simply go outside and look around at the world we live in.
I myself get pissed like that (unfortunately worse than Bale did, believe me) because when someone screws up enough, sometimes it hits that raw nerve for the last time.

So because it was 'actor Christian Bale' on the set of his Big Hollywood Movie he's suddenly a jerk/asshole/scum of the earth who must be hated for the rest of his life because he's a Big Celebrity who thinks he can treat anyone that way.

But wait, he didn't treat ANYone that way, just the fool who deserved it who kept screwing around, wasting (ultimately) time and money when he should have known better.

Now anyone can feel free to tell me to calm down.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Hard to believe people are defending this childish tantrum.
I don't care what the DP did, there is no excuse to treat another adult professional like this. I would never take that from anyone.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have to look at this way. What would the DP have done if he spent an hour tweaking lights to get the effect he wanted and, just as he was finishing shooting, some underling with a hand cart ran into and knocked over his arrangement? I don't know about anybody else but I can imagine the explosion that would result.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Okay, to anyone who doesn't feel Bale was right, let me ask you: You're working on a job that you are ultimately responsible for. You have co-workers, some good, some bad, who are responsible for another area of the job. These co-workers bullshit around, and in there area that's one thing. When they bring there BS over and start affecting your job, that's over the line and deserves correction in a very stern manner. When this movie comes out and the reviewers watch the scenes and feel Bale was distracted in his performance they won't blame the DP, they will blame him. McG is a young director, but, he damn sure needs to get a handle on what's going on around his set. That kind of crap shouldn't be happening and the DP should have enough professional sense to adjust his F 'ing lights between takes. I mean, who does that shit in the middle of scenes? That's ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks