What's new

Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings - REVIEW (pics) (1 Viewer)

RicP

Screenwriter
Well, I was fortunate enough to grab this disc over the weekend and have poured through it the best I can.
First the good news...It is Widescreen and it is Anamorphic. :) The rumors of a Full Frame release of this film were thankfully just that...rumors.
Here's the Opening Menu...
lotr1.jpg

I don't suppose I need to explain what The Lord of the Rings is for anyone so I'll just skip the preliminaries about the film and dive right into the DVD presentation.
The film is broken up into 38 chapters and looks much better than my going on 8 year old VHS copy does. The animation is sharper than I've ever seen and the colors seem crisp, if not as vivid as some would like.
There is some grain present but it doesn't detract from the presentation at all. There is also some speckling and oher signs of film wear, but all in all this disc looks better than I've seen.
Here's a shot...
lotr3.jpg

The sound is in either English-Dolby Surround or French-Mono. The Doby Surround track sounds good and is perfect for the film. Back ambience is there but not in abundance and essentially is the same sound mix that has appeared on previous home video releases.
Special features include two "textual" based Production notes. One on Tolkien, and one called "Of Elves and Other Races" which is sort of a "Middle-Earth" primer.
lotr2.jpg

Lots of subtitles including Thai, Manadrin, and Japanese are interesting to look at :)
All in all a fairly solid release from Warner. Nothing too incredible, but if you're a fan of this film or grew up with it like I did, then you'll most likely want to give it a spin. It's a little fragmented at times...but it's worth a viewing.
------------------
http://www.ricperrott.com
Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Thanks, Ric. At the price this seems like a great release.
All that angst over full-frame for nothing. Just think, if Warner had an active rep on the forum it all could have been avoided. Or better yet, if they would only provide timely, detailed & accurate DVD specs to their retailers... what a concept!
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

James D S

Screenwriter
Thanks Ric. Looks like a great disc. That's another I'll have to re-add to my buy list. This is turning into an expensive season!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Finally Bakshi's Lord of the Rings on DVD!
Not sure whether to order the r1 or wait and see what the upcoming (nov) r2 has to offer, my old video copy is really worn out.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
RicP - so, where's the bad news?
j/k. Seriously, I am waaayy stoked for this. I agree that Warner needs to address their public relations, and fast. It is mindboggling that they would allow such a commotion to go unchecked. Eh, anyway, we get what we wanted. Hooray!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Also, this is widescreen, but according to those screenshot, it is improperly framed at 1.78:1 rather than 1.85:1. Only an approximate 4 percent loss of horizontal image information, but still not in OAR. :) Warner did the same thing with Batman.
------------------
My DVD Collection
[Edited last by Adam Lenhardt on September 04, 2001 at 11:11 PM]

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Also, this is widescreen, but according to those screenshot, it is improperly framed at 1.78:1 rather than 1.85:1. Only an approximate 4 percent loss of horizontal image information, but still not in OAR. Warner did the same thing with Batman.
As far as I've seen, Warner does that with ALL 1.85:1 films.

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
Man, it sure does look a whole lot nicer than the gawd afull muddy video print, and widescreen too, I'm one happy animator :)

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
Too bad they put The hobbit and The Return of the King out on seperate discs. I'll buy the Hobbit, but I ain't gonna touch retun of the king. Seems to me they ccould move more units with both on one disc
wink.gif

------------------
Geoff
Now with Kung-Fu grip and realistic facial hair!

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
What the flyin' forkin' frackin' crackin! I just finished watching my LOTR disc all the way through, and they've changed the ending!!!
smiley_jawdrop.gif

It used to end with:
Spoiler:Gandalf tossing his sword in the air, followed by the army rriding off and then the narator's voice would come in with "Thus ends the first part of the history of the War of the ring"
Now it ends with the narator saying:
Spoiler: the forces of dakness were driven forever from the face of middle earth, by the valliant friends of frodo. As the gallant battle ended, so too ends the first great tale of The Lord of the Rings
Not a big change, but I don't understand why it was made. I prefered the original, it sounded better, more classy, this one sounds more hokey.
------------------
Geoff
Now with Kung-Fu grip and realistic facial hair!
[Edited last by Geoffrey_A on September 05, 2001 at 11:57 PM]

RicP

Screenwriter
Geoff,
I noticed that too, but it didn't register at first.
I went back and re-watched my VHS copy and the voice over was changed. Like you said, it's not a big deal but it is interesting.
I'll try and investigate this further. :)
------------------
http://www.ricperrott.com
Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks