Bailey's Of Balboa

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, May 5, 2013.

1. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    I would really love to have this show but I'm guessing it's a snowball's chance on this one. Great cast. Paul Ford (Bilko), Judy Carne (Laugh In), Sterling Holloway (Pooh), Clint Howard (Gentle Ben), John Dehner (Prolific Character Actor). With that cast, I'm surprised this show didn't make it. I have two eps on VHS I got from another collector in the early 90's, but the quality is terrible.

2. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    From what I remember, it had the same premiss as The Pruitts of Southampton.

3. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

I loved the show too but then I was 7 at the time it aired. Much like a lot of shows (Gilligan's Island, Camp Runamuck, Its About Time, etc.), 7 is about the right age to see it. As an adult, unless someone still has the mentality of a 7-year old, it won't be so good. When I got about half the run years ago, I couldn't believe how bad it was. Some shows are better off as memories.

4. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    Boy, are you right about that. As a kid, I loved "The Flintstones" and actually thought it was clever. If I happen to see it now, it's terrible!

Actually, most of the shows I liked as a kid strike me as pretty terrible now. Most of television always has been terrible. Considering how many hours a week they had to grind out, how could it be otherwise?

5. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

It also has to do with the fact of what appeals to you in elementary school isn't going to be the same to a middle aged adult and vice versa. I'm sure that as a kid, I wouldn't have "gotten" East Side West Side, Naked City, The Defenders or Route 66 but they are all among my favorites now. Its a rare show (Rocky and Bullwinkle for instance) which can be written on two levels, one for children and one for adults.

By the way, I saw some posting in another thread about "7-year old" comments so I'm assuming they were directed at my post in this thread. Sorry that some folks are that thin-skinned. The OP hasn't really seen the show and I have over the half the run. I was just trying to give an informed opinion, based on adult eyes, for a show that few have had the chance to see in almost 50 years.