What's new

Bad Steaming Quality Help (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey all,

Have a problem I thought I would ask for some help on.

We have a 2 story condo. The internet/router is upstairs and the TV/Entertainment setup is downstairs, pretty much directly below it.

My setup includes 2 Linksys WRT54G routers with Tomato on it. The upstairs one is just setup as a regular router. The downstairs one is set as a bridge.

I have comcast cable. My trouble is I can't ever get the connection downstairs to be strong enough so Netflix streams in HD. It's always SD. I don't know what I can do to improve the wi-fi downstairs. Running a hard line isn't an option. My router already has more powerful antennas. I'm thinking a wi-fi signal does not travel well vertically?

I don't know much about home networking, but I believe I did read there is another way to setup my routers or than in the bridge configuration that might give me a better signal?

Any help or input most appreciated.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I've been considering that. But let me ask, would buying an N Router but keeping the old WRT54G downstairs work and would it improve my situation? Would I still be able to set up the bridge? I doubt tomato works with newer routers, so I hope the stock firmwares nowadays are more robust.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I use the WNDR4500 and it does a 3500sf house with ease. And it isn't even the best N router.The main benefit is the 5G wifi.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
N has less interference.Basic physics principals tell you 2.4 travels farther than 5.You want a simultaneous g and n router. Don't buy one that isn't. I have a feeling the issue is the relative lack of oomph your current router has.Most simultaneous g/n routers are brutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks