What's new

Bad News, Good News, Bad News.... I'm HDTV hosed! (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

I was so close I could taste it... that Toshiba 57HX81 was practically on the way. I thought I did everything right. Slowly, over the last six months, I've prepared my wife for the upgrade to an HD capable TV. Everytime a CBS show came on, I pointed out, "look honey, another TV show available in HD". When we watched ER, I always said, "you know what... that 16:9 image sure would look great on a new 16:9 HD set". Everytime a letterboxed commercial came on, I made her aware of it. After a while, she started noting it on her own. I also continually pointed out how the 16:9 TV pricing was coming down and approaching that of the comparable 4:3 sets. Then, about a couple of months ago, the convergence board on our current 7 year old set started to go. At first, she asked, how much will that cost to fix. When the quote came back at around $500-$600, she said "aw, it doesn't look that bad afterall". Still, little by little, while I shopped for which TV and which deal was the best, I continually edged her toward that ultimate YES.
Last Monday, I had made my decision. I WAS getting a Toshiba 57HX81 for $2800 delivered, from an authorized dealer, no payments, no interest for 1 year.
Now was the time to finalize the deal. My wife has spoken for years, about going back to the balloon festival in Albequerque where she had such a wonderful time 8 years ago. She has continually hinted that if it could be arranged, that trip could serve as her Christmas present from me. So, I spent most of last Thursday and Friday trying to make her wish come true. Last night at dinner, I presented her with RT plane tickets, hotel suite accomodations, Camaro convertible car rental and reservations for a balloon ride. Total Cost for the four of us... around... a new HD RPTV. :D
When she asked me what I wanted for Christmas, you know my answer. Still, I wanted to show her what a 16:9 TV looked like so that she would be satisfied watching 4:3 TV in one of the stretch modes. Today, I took her to see one.
I picked Tweeters because their prices were much higher and I wouldn't get the "what's wrong with that big RCA TV over there which costs $1K less?" questions.
As soon as we entered the store, I guided her immediately over to the 50HX81 that was on display. I showed her the different modes for watching 4:3 TV on the 16:9 set and she was happy with the differential stretch and the zoom mode. ALRIGHT!!! Thought I.
Then, I eyed my 6 year old moving a video camera display so that he and his sister could see themselves on the attached TV. I went over to stop them from doing that, and when I returned, my wife was gone? I found her in front of a 65" Misubitshi set, of course, it was the 65908 diamond series set. She said, "that Toshiba set was really ugly, that grey and silver front just won't go in our family room". She continued, "This set matches the rest of your black laquer speakers and other decorations in the room", And, the Toshiba set sure seemed kinda small compared to this set". "If we're gonna get a new set why not get a bigger one like this set?" At this point, I paused, thinking, was I the luckiest guy in the world? It was not to be. Once she saw the price, she said, "you know... the way pricing is coming down on these sets, if we show some patience and wait another year or two, we can get this set for the same price as that ugly one over there that you wanted."
I tried to explain, I tried to cajole, I fell to my knees and begged... all to no avail.
At this point, I'm just convinced that I"M NEVER GONNA SEE AN HD TV IN MY HT!
I think tomorrow, somebody's balloon rides are gonna get cancelled....
frown.gif

------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
you know... the way pricing is coming down on these sets, if we show some patience and wait another year or two, we can get this set for the same price as that ugly one over there that you wanted.
Ugh, sounds like my dad...
'Dad, check out this Toshiba 50HX70, only $2998!!!'
'Dont be so impatient! Wait a couple years, the price will go down!'
There are 2 outcomes to this...
We buy the peice of equipment...
A couple months later 'See? If we waited until now, we would've saved a couple hundred bucks!'
or it gets discontinued, you cant find it in stores, and they roll out the new ones that cost as much as when the one we were looking at came out... and my dad will say
'Just wait a couple months itll go down in price'

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Ahh..what we go through to fuel our "needs".
I'm afraid I cannot relate so much as my wife is the best. I say we get a 50", she says why not bigger. I say 4:3, she says why not 16:9. So its a 65H81 for us....but if I see a 65HX81 around at a good price I'm sure SHE'll convince me to get it.
------------------
Eric Samonte
Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You should just point out to her that if she's patient and waits another year or two, the price of balloon rides, hotels, and car rentals will also decrease.
biggrin.gif

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
You should just point out to her that if she's patient and waits another year or two, the price of balloon rides, hotels, and car rentals will also decrease.
Actually they will all probably rise in price...
tongue.gif

Just kidding though, you can always wait but you will never own...
------------------
BLAM!
Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun.
I'm looking to trade my Toshiba 40 x 81 HDTV for a CRT or DLP FP
Check out my movie mural here... http://www.geocities.com/superfacehu...ater_Page.html

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi John,
I think a lot of folks, especially those with a significant other, are/were in the same boat.
Maybe you can use the following to convince her.
Let's say for establishing a baseline that there are four hours of primetime (that's just one OTA channel) every night. Multiply that by 365 days a year. You now have 1460 hrs of HD programming (again with just one channel).
If the set costs $2800, stb for about $500, and antenna for say $100, then you'd be averaging only about $2.32 a night of HD glory.
Again, above are just with one channel for only 4 hrs a night. The avg nightly cost would be a LOT less if you add the other OTA channels, PBS 10hr broadcasts; special events like golf, tennis, football, etc. Cost would be slightly more with satellite programming of course.
Like the MC commercial, HDTV = $2800, STB = $500, antenna = $100, SMILES per mile and Viewing Satisfaction = Priceless!
:)
Thanks,
Errol
------------------
Keohi HDTV
Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508