What's new

Bad News: Farscape DVD's Placed on Moratorium? (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
This is a very sad day! After checking out ADV Films website for Season 1 DVD's for the Farscape series I noticed that none of the Season 1 DVD's are are available anymore.

This is eerie news. Could it be that ADV Films is taking the series and placing it on moratorium? Neither the regular DVD's nor the Starburst DVD's are available. The only DVD's available through their website are the Season 2 through Season 4 DVD's.

Could distribution for the series be moving to another company/distributor? Or are they planning a complete series set for this release like they did with Andromeda Slipstream Collection?

Check out the listing here: http://www.advfilms.com/CatalogFilms...es.asp?ID=2039

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
So, I wonder how long they're allowed to distribute the DVD's for and when, and if ever, Sony will release them on DVD? At least we'll see cheaper prices for the series and in Thinpack Season sets for around $40-50 at discount retailers such as Best Buy.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have been holding off buying Farscape on DVD because it is so confusing. There are so many versions etc.

The news of Sony taking over might actually be good for me. If they finally get around to releasing a nice full series set, I'll definitely buy it (as long as it isn't Star Trek Priced). I mean I am not willing to pay $700 for the series.

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
I agree.
I started buying Farscape when it was only a couple of episodes per disc - the reason why I have 11 discs for season 1. I was holding off on season 2 hoping for season sets but the $150 when it originally came out made it prohibitively expense for me. Now that the price is beginning to go down - seen it at about 75-80 - I was actually thinking about getting another season or two. Or maybe even all three that I'm missing.
Now, I'll likely put it off again in the hopes that Sony puts it out in Thin-paks and at a reasonable cost. We'll see.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just as a note, ADV has clearnace sales on their DVDs every once in a while. Lately, the Starburst Editions have been starting to appear in those sales.

To be honest, there is so much Farscape on the secondary market, you can probably get them all for pretty cheap nowadays.

Jason

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

I ended-up purchasing the four seasons via the 12 "Starburst Editions".

Each "Starburst Edition" contained 7-8 episodes and a bonus disc of supplements. They typically "streeted" for $19.95 each. So ... in essence you ended up paying about $60 for a season which I thought was a pretty good deal.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Yeah but maybe Sony will release them without being on so many single DVD cases and without this horrid double sided format.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
ADV got rid of the double sided format when it repressed the Starburst editions. The Starburst editions, assuming you got the single sided versions, were excellent in most every way. They collected nearly every commentary track from both US and UK editions, and had loads of special features too.

The only technical fault with the Starburst editions was that the final season's picture quality was terrible (all of season four, not just 4.1 and 4.2 as my screen cap from the time indicated):

I don't know what Sony could do that would be better, aside from remastering the final season.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I heard this rumor a couple weeks back. I can't imagine why Sony of all companies would be getting the rights. Is it something with Hanson? Do I even dare to suggest some kind of new Farscape property they're hoping to cross-promote?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Sony and Henson have always had pretty close ties - Lisa Henson (Jim's daughter) was an executive there for a while. Or it could just be that when ADV's contract was reaching the end, Sony had the highest bid o the new rights.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I wonder what's going on and when Sony is going to start going forward and start releasing the series ...

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
seasons two through four are still out there, but season 1 is pretty much impossible to find at a reasonable price. this is so odd, its just like E:FC, the best season isn't available =/

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
There's even more bad news as Sony has expressed no interest at releasing the series at the current time.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Why'd Sony buy it then? I'd get this on BluRay. Maybe they're waiting for BluRay production costs to drop a bit first? I guess that's ok for now.

DavidHAN

Agent
This would be a guarantee, no doubt about it whatsoever BluRay buy. First day, no questions asked. Regardless of price. I love this show. Even though I haven't made it to the fourth season yet. I'm so sorry. I do however own the Peacekeeper show wrap up, story tie up.... whatever. Just waiting to see all the eps before the end. ya know? I can't read the last page when I'm only in the middle. Bring the BluRay.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Wasn't Farscape shot on SD PAL tape? That would render any attempt to remaster it for HD nigh impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks