What's new

Bad movies good for a laugh (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This thread is a freakin riot!!

You want a whole SERIES of non stop hilarity? Watch pretty much anything from Charles Band, Puppet Master (all of them), Demonic Toys (likewise), Dollman (likewise) and the epic Dollman vs Demonic Toys.

Dollman is especially funny, because Band and freinds don't even TRY and fool us into beleiving this guy is really that small. It alternates from having Tim Thomerson standing in front of a bad blue screen background, to quick cuts of what looks like a Ken doll wearing a trenchcoat and sunglasses. :laugh:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Actually... yeah, it is. That movie has absolutely no redeeming value - terrible derivative story, terrible pacing, terrible acting, terrible directing... There's not one thing about that movie that's even halfway competent - not good, but just not BAD!

Do you at least agree that the commentary was terrible? IIRC, I think the guy who runs the Sleepaway Camp website is one of the folks who wrote to me to complain. Whoever it was, he sent one of the worst-written, least-coherent notes I've gotten - and I've heard from people who think I'm Michael Jackson because I once reviewed a Michael Jackson DVD! (Not a joke - I occasionally get fan mail meant from the people I mention in the reviews...)

Ed Speir IV

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone remember a movie call "Terrorvision"? It's a goofy horror/comedy about an alien that gets downloaded into a family's satellite dish and wreaks havoc.

I must've watched that movie 100 times on HBO. Even as a kid of 15, I knew it was an awful movie, but somehow I was drawn to it again and again....

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Colin,
I can take or leave the commentary, I thought it was passable. The participants sounded like they were having fun watching the film after so many years.

However, I must point out, that to say the film has no redeeming value isn't true, the very fact that their are those who enjoy it makes this so. It may have none to you, because you obviously hated the film and nothing could redeem it for you, but to myself and others, it needs no redemption.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I enjoy it because...

1. I saw it for the first time when I was a teenager when I would watch anything that came down the pike, as long as it was either a science fiction or horror film. Plus, I wasn't too critical back then, and the experience stuck with me to this day. I've come to the conclusion that in one's mind, a fun movie (to that individual) from when they were young, often remains that way into adulthood.

2. I wanted to see people get whacked in imaginative ways. Great kills: Numero uno for a slasher flick and this had some interesting one's IMO. And finally...

3. It was a decent little murder who-dunnit. I probably would have figured it out now who the killer was, but back then I was intrigued, was it Angela or Ricky? I didn't know, and yes, I fell hook line and sinker for that ending. :b

Bottom line, the film is just a nice piece of nostalgia from my teen years. Sometimes when you see a film from your childhood, it often brings with it all of the thoughts and feelings from that period in your life and it makes you feel good, this film does that for me.

BTW, I LOVED you in Thriller! ;) I'm just kidding.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama, which has to be one of the great cheesy titles ever, along with The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?. And who can forget the terrifying carpet in The Creeping Terror? :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One of my recent favorite bad movies is Darkness Falls. AWSOME sound wasted on a lousy movie, but it was fun to throw in for some laughs.

Just about ANYTHING by Troma.

Battlefield Earth is so bad, it's not even funny.

Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness (not exactly bad, I like them, but good for laughs)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
you all know that cherry 2000 is on showtime (or is it hbo) right now??? love that movie!!!

Daniel-A

Auditioning
While many claim they are good alone, I claim they are only good because they are bad. Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
John is right, anything by MST3K is worth it, but watch the movies with Joel or Mike and the 'Bots, since un-MiSTed, many of these movies can cause deep hurting!

Jeepers Creepers - 10 minutes into the movie, all that was missing was the shadow of Mike and the 'Bots. Rarely have I heard an entire audience snicker like that for a non-comedy. Amateur MiSTies, and I include myself in that count, were having a field day. There was one point where the monster was holding the cop's head in front of him, and I managed to just about slay my row by stage whispering, "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio!"

Barbarella - I finally got to see this for the very first time the other day. It was so cheesy that I was calling for fondue supplies.

Russell, I'm with you on the Dolph Lundgren version of The Punisher. Dolph's performance made me wonder if the producers gave him some Valium, put the costume on him and filmed him without his having any idea that he was in a movie.

Robert, yeah, The Creeping Terror you've got it! My favorite line by Mike and Crow, when the Terror is trying to get out of the car after eating the necking teenagers:

Crow: Uh, Mike?
Mike: Well, you see, Crow, when a monster and a small car love each other very much...

Trilogy of Terror - Borrowed this one the other day after not having seen it for ages. Twilight Zone-like twist on three different stories. My mom didn't want me to see it when I was fifteen [afraid I'd have nightmares or something] when I was already a classic horror movie buff. I laughed my butt off, especially when a full grown adult woman can't take on the doll at the end. When I saw it again, I was saying, "Uh, oh, Safari Ken is coppin' a 'tude!"

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Lynda,
love your sense of humor! It's almost identical to mine, but it's rarely appreciated. ;)

And hey, don't knock the Zuni Doll from Trilogy of Terror, he may be small, but he'll tear somebody a new ass out of sheer determination!

Ya just have to admire a possesed, psychotic, african fetish figurine that goes after what he wants with such gusto. :D

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
There was a run on films to terrorize the audience after Jaws was released...

Two that come immediately to mind and I know there's one more are:

"Grizzly"
and
"Killdozer"

There's a new low in defining script writing and acting with these flicks.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Anyone remember "Prophecy" from the late 70's, horror film, noted for being rated "PG"!

Mutant bear or something, from mercury poisoning, would have been classic MST3K.

I haven't seen it in 20 years, but was recently issued on DVD.

Things I remember: a kid in a sleeping bag is chucked against a tree, which explodes in a poof of feathers. No blood.

Indian guy who couldn't feel pain. Later killed by momma mutant bear, who throws him around like he was a trout in a stream. I remember my Dad remarking "Well, he couldn't feel it anyway." :D

BTW: Colin, good luck at the trial.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
John Garcia:

I just remember humming to myself when I saw the trailer: "Darkenss Falls! It gets up again! Ain't nothing gonna keep it down!" (Imagine Chumbawumba singing it)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Oh, that scene was hilarious. The kid hops around in his sleeping bag then BANG! It didn't exactly scare me as a 12-year-old...

RyanAn

Screenwriter
We Were Soldiers? Bulletproof Monk? So good there AWESOME! :D

I love:

Ice Cream Man
Any Ernest movie
Ticks
Tremors!!!!!!!!
Route 666
How to be a Player

ry/

Joel C

Screenwriter

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Leprechaun 4: In Space?

Troll 2 rules. You had me at peeing on the dinner table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks