Backyard Theater

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Bud Huey, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Bud Huey

Bud Huey Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine and I just built a 300" outdoor movie theater using a canvas he bought off the internet and some 2" PVC for a frame. It is a lot of fun watching movies outside when the weather permits and as an added bonus I can smoke cigars while watching a movie without my wife having a mental meltdown.

There are a lot of great design ideas at www.backyardtheater.com

The only downside is moving the projector from the HT to the outdoor theater, but last weekend we watched AC/DC 'Live at Donnovan' and Angus Young was larger than life and rockin'!

Good Luck,
    Bud

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

the big problems with outdoor theater are

light - wait for the darkness to be complete, and you'd still probably want a brighter projector.

sound - outdoor sound is almost always a loosing proposition; the sound just goes away (there's a reason why outdoor concerts have speaker stacks the size of mountains and generator farms to run a small city...)

And, at least in my area, bugs!

Leo

3. Bud Huey

Bud Huey Stunt Coordinator

Outdoor theaters will never match the picture quality or audiophile sound capability of a custom built HT, they are still a lot of fun and with a little bug spray, a Monticristo #2, and a good guys movie or concert DVD I am one happy camper.