Backs up againts the wall....what do you think of in ceiling speakers

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Michael_C, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Michael_C

Michael_C Auditioning

My veiwing position and room layout forces me to have my surounds on book shelves beside the couch which is up against the wall. The problem I think I'm going to have is this speakers are out further towards the center of the room by 2'more than my ears. This is due to the design of the book shelves.
    All that being said what are the pro's and con's of going with ceiling mount? Also with a 6.1 set up....and if you can picture a recliner
    ( my favorite spot ) on the same wall as the couch but 4' to one side of it, to include it in the sound field I would have to have the other rear 4' from the couch as well. This would leave only the rear center over the whole couch.
    Is any of this making sense...and yes I'm as green as they come worse off I haven't even fully unpact my HTIB and I want to upgrade, hense this post.
    BTW I'm thinking about the Polk RC85i's for the ceiling if I go that route. Any thoughts on those?
    Thanks Mike

2. Gary Silverman

Gary Silverman Stunt Coordinator

Michael, the layout of my home theater required me to use ceiling speakers. I installed Boston Acoustics speakers and I'm thrilled with the sound. I wouldn't call myself an audiophile by any means, but I think they do as well, if not better than any other solution for a less than perfect room dimension.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

On the other hand, you might want to read Michael Fremer's interesting column/diatribe regarding in-wall speakers in the latest Stereophile Guide to Home Theater. I agree with him.

4. Gary Silverman

Gary Silverman Stunt Coordinator

Boy, Jack, if that isn't a tease. How about a little more detail for those of us who don't have the latest issue on our coffee tables?