What's new

Backing up a Raid array? (1 Viewer)

CRyan

Screenwriter
I am considering going Raid 5 for my next server setup but have a question regarding backing it up. If you have a Raid setup with a total of 10TB of data, how do you go about backup it up? Obviously, you would have to back it up to multiple drives and I would prefer it to be somewhat automated. I just cannot seem to find a solution for this. I am not interested in tape systems - Only hard drives. And I don't want my backup solution to be another array because if your hardware controller fails then you are kind of screwed. Any thoughts or ideas? I guess you can manually copy portions of the array to other drives but this certainly isn't automated and wouldn't be an up-to-date backup system. So I am kind of at a loss. The OS on the server will be Windows 7, XP or Home Server 2011. But I don't believe any of those have a feature built-in that would handle this scenario. Maybe there is a third party software that will do this?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ok. I run into this often.. I'm over 28T now, after this Christmas, and I get brought up.. the reality is that in a RAID-5 or JBOD of this size, a full backup is an absolute pain. And most of this (if you're like me) is video.

I really don't worry about most of the video I have on there.. if it all gets destroyed, I have the original blurays in a box in my closet. BUT, I do backup essential data which I could not restore if lost (pictures, music store, etc.)

You can do it two ways: (1) get a network NAS unit to match your server - I really like the Drobo and Qnap, but Iomega is also a valid choice since they were bought by EMC (2) use a simple external USB and backup only scheduled data.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Use a backup program that only backs up changed data. (Maybe that's what Matt meant in #2.) Most of the data on a 10TB system will likely not be changing. It's probably video, graphics, and music. Then just periodically copy the backup data to a writeable DVD.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Hmmm. Thanks for the ideas. I deffinitely want a complete and total backup of everything - The idea and going back to source in case of a crash makes me want to vomit. I have the hard drives to do it already so I am not worried about that side of things. Getting a Drobo that matches the size of the array would certainly work - Not cheap, but it would work for sure. Good idea. But option 2 I am confused about. Is there something I am missing that will allow me to backup a 10TB "drive" to USB drive(s)?

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Option 2 would be breaking up your content over 2-3TB USB drives. Not a bad option I have done it. Duping the system is the best option you can use Raid 0 for that system as you lose it you just re-backup again.

You think this is a chalenge try 300TB, my last job basically replication of storage systems was the only way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks