What's new

Back To The Future W/S Framing Issues Here- (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Universal: 0-2 on major 4th quarter catalog releases. E.T., and now this. Maybe it's all setup so we'll be pleasantly surprised when they do get something right.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
OK. Let me understand this.
BTTF part 1 is framed properly.
BTTF Parts 2 & 3 are not framed properly.
As I said in another thread, I'm not crazy about parts 2 & 3 but would love to have part 1.
So the question is do I buy and wait for replacements??
Thanks Universal for making the consumer 100% happy with your product. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Joe

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I have the MCA Letterboxed laserdiscs and the new DVD box-set, and did a quick comparison between them all this morning (for the first 10 mins. or so of each film):

1. BTTF II & III are *BOTH* cropped at the top of the frame and a little on the sides. It's as if the entire frame has been blown-up for DVD. The framing on the LDs seems much better balanced to me, IMHO.

2. This does NOT apply to the original BTTF...it looks IDENTICALLY framed to the laserdisc on all sides.

What gives??
If I understand correctly, II & III were shot open-matte, but the first BTTF was not. So there was no framing for them to mess up on the first BTTF. (Someone please correct me if this is inaccurate.)

Joel C

Screenwriter
Nothing is wrong with ET. People were just unhappy about the misinformation about what was included with each set (regular and 3-disc).

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Rob, this was discussed at a great length on this forum. Try doing a search.
Dave, I was well aware of the issues that I now realize are what were being mentioned, but since this whole thread is about misframing and a faulty master I figured there must have been some similar issue.

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
I must have forgot to take my medication today, because this almost makes me want to get the full screen release... Please Universal, get this fixed ASAP or at least announce that it will be addressed, and there will be an exchange program set up once it is corrected.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
get it right the first time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's that in your signature? "Get it right the first time"? Oh the irony!

See now this is why I couldn't care less about HD-DVD at this point. The studios can't even get their movies out on DVD properly!

This BTTF fiasco is absolutely infuriating. Yet strangely typical. Why do we continue to throw our hard-earned cash away on this garbage? :-(

John
john sorry but i dont understand your post.
are you saying that it is ironic that i have that sentence in my sig why?

what are you referring to as garbage.
sure occassionally a dvd gets released that needs to be fixed but almost every time it is.
so i will buy this dvd even tho' it's not right the first time.
i will call or write universal and make my complaint.
and if the dvd is not fixed then i will either keep the dvd or sell it to someone who wants it.

so i guess your saying you are not going to buy bttf?

well are you going to write universal and tell them why.
because if you don't then whats the point they will never know why you didnt buy it.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
It's only on those 2 scenes? It's not that big though. If it were the whole movie I'd complain.
As Lane stated, it's throughout the entire movie. I don't know why people keep thinking it's just those two scenes. Those two scenes are just examples.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I guess people can understand precise problems like the cropping of sleeves and hoverboards but something like composition is beyond their grasp. Regardless of whether a specific prop is cropped off, if there is a bunch of empty space at the top of the frame, then there's something wrong. I just hope that Universal ends up offering replacements. If they use the laserdiscs as a shot-for-shot guide, they shouldn't have a problem.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
If those two scenes are just examples, could someone be kind enough to post comparison shots between the LD & DVD for the whole of BTTF II & III? It would give us a lot more ammunition for us to get Universal to get their shit together.
I'm really pissed about it now. I wasn't aware that both II and III had framing issues throughout the entire films. This is pretty sad as Part II was my favorite of the trilogy. But, damnit, I'm still buying it day after tomorrow. I've waited so freakin' long for these films on DVD I could *ALMOST* not care about these issues. But Universal had BETTER start a replacement program 'cause this is just nuts. First the ET debacle and now this.
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Ned

Supporting Actor
This might not be quite so bad if they didn't FORCE us to buy all 3 movies. We could buy BTTF1 now and wait for the fixed ones. So now we're forced to buy all 3 movies and 2 of them are screwed up. Hello Mcfly, is anyone in there?

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
Hypothetical question: If Universal *does* correct the framing errors and offers a replacement disc, how would they go about exchanging new versions for the misframed discs? I know it's hard to say what a company will or won't do when we don't even know if they're doing anything or not, but what has been their record in the past on how they handle this type of situation?

I never was a fan of the "Jurassic Park" series, so I didn't buy them and have to have them replaced by Universal, and the only time I've had to have a defective disc replaced was with "Jackie Brown" back in August of this year by Buena Vista, and they were very helpful about it. So, basically, can anyone shed any light on how Universal goes about replacing these things when there is a defect?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I exchanged my old dts Jurassic Park with the "fixed" version. It took about6-7 weeks from the time I mailed in my old disk until I received the new one back with no problems.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Seems Universal does screw up alot, but they always try to make things right, first with the DTS Jurassic park reissue and now the E.T. replacement disc offer. Still, to mess up the framing on two movies of a three movie set is pretty poor quality control.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Wow...this is somewhat depressing. I was really looking forward to picking this set up at Best Buy on Tuesday. However, I think I may take a "wait and see" approach at this point. If Universal will simply make an announcement that they definitely intend to redo the second two movies and offer replacement discs then I'll gladly purchase the trilogy.
Let's all hope that we here some kind of official word soon...
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks