Back To The Future W/S Framing Issues Here-

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Spero D, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Universal: 0-2 on major 4th quarter catalog releases. E.T., and now this. Maybe it's all setup so we'll be pleasantly surprised when they do get something right.

2. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher
    OK. Let me understand this.
    BTTF part 1 is framed properly.
    BTTF Parts 2 & 3 are not framed properly.
    As I said in another thread, I'm not crazy about parts 2 & 3 but would love to have part 1.
    So the question is do I buy and wait for replacements??
    Thanks Universal for making the consumer 100% happy with your product. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Joe

3. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

4. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    Yikes what is wrong with the ET release? I hadn't heard anything.

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

6. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Nothing is wrong with ET. People were just unhappy about the misinformation about what was included with each set (regular and 3-disc).

7. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride

8. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

I must have forgot to take my medication today, because this almost makes me want to get the full screen release... Please Universal, get this fixed ASAP or at least announce that it will be addressed, and there will be an exchange program set up once it is corrected.

9. Lane F.

damn double post...

10. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

11. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

It's only on those 2 scenes? It's not that big though. If it were the whole movie I'd complain.

12. Lane F.

13. Dave H

Dave H Producer

14. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I guess people can understand precise problems like the cropping of sleeves and hoverboards but something like composition is beyond their grasp. Regardless of whether a specific prop is cropped off, if there is a bunch of empty space at the top of the frame, then there's something wrong. I just hope that Universal ends up offering replacements. If they use the laserdiscs as a shot-for-shot guide, they shouldn't have a problem.

15. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

If those two scenes are just examples, could someone be kind enough to post comparison shots between the LD & DVD for the whole of BTTF II & III? It would give us a lot more ammunition for us to get Universal to get their shit together.
    I'm really pissed about it now. I wasn't aware that both II and III had framing issues throughout the entire films. This is pretty sad as Part II was my favorite of the trilogy. But, damnit, I'm still buying it day after tomorrow. I've waited so freakin' long for these films on DVD I could *ALMOST* not care about these issues. But Universal had BETTER start a replacement program 'cause this is just nuts. First the ET debacle and now this.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

This might not be quite so bad if they didn't FORCE us to buy all 3 movies. We could buy BTTF1 now and wait for the fixed ones. So now we're forced to buy all 3 movies and 2 of them are screwed up. Hello Mcfly, is anyone in there?

17. Michael Hall

Michael Hall Stunt Coordinator

Hypothetical question: If Universal *does* correct the framing errors and offers a replacement disc, how would they go about exchanging new versions for the misframed discs? I know it's hard to say what a company will or won't do when we don't even know if they're doing anything or not, but what has been their record in the past on how they handle this type of situation?

I never was a fan of the "Jurassic Park" series, so I didn't buy them and have to have them replaced by Universal, and the only time I've had to have a defective disc replaced was with "Jackie Brown" back in August of this year by Buena Vista, and they were very helpful about it. So, basically, can anyone shed any light on how Universal goes about replacing these things when there is a defect?

18. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I exchanged my old dts Jurassic Park with the "fixed" version. It took about6-7 weeks from the time I mailed in my old disk until I received the new one back with no problems.

19. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Seems Universal does screw up alot, but they always try to make things right, first with the DTS Jurassic park reissue and now the E.T. replacement disc offer. Still, to mess up the framing on two movies of a three movie set is pretty poor quality control.

20. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Wow...this is somewhat depressing. I was really looking forward to picking this set up at Best Buy on Tuesday. However, I think I may take a "wait and see" approach at this point. If Universal will simply make an announcement that they definitely intend to redo the second two movies and offer replacement discs then I'll gladly purchase the trilogy.
    Let's all hope that we here some kind of official word soon...
    [​IMG]