What's new

Back To The Future W/S Framing Issues Here- (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Probably not, although knowing that I sometimes wonder what exactly I'm missing out on with my LOA DVD, since I really don't know what color timing means.
Watch the telecine demo on Se7en:Platinum Series. Color timing is adjusting the colors of the transfer so they correctly represent what was on the movie screen(or what you want on screen). In production you adjust it so that all shots in a particular scene have a continuous uniform palette. Every take some video from one angle and then turn around the camera to another? You'll notice say, a yellow wall will be a different shade because of different lighting, so you correct your timing accordingly

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not referring to the BTTF issue, but more in a general sense, it would seem that the home video market is now large enough --

well over several hundred thousand dollars per year in gross sales, that the time may have arrived for each of the DVD publishing entities (inclusive of the studios) to hire an individual or two who might be responsible for knowing what their output is actually supposed to look and sound like.

I'm not even referrring to a sage, filled to the brim with information about each and every release since the studio first cut down the orange groves, but rather a small group capable of doing basic research and overseeing final post-production on video releases.

It does seem that time and again, product is released into the marketplace inclusive of problems which should have been caught early on and corrected.

The "dvd police," monitoring the propriety of releases at HTF and other sites really should not be necessary.

Getting a final product correct is not the most difficult thing in the world to accomplish.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
I just checked the misframed jacket scene yesterday. The misframing is just terrible. To the thread started I would like to point out that misframing doesn't just involve cutting of heads of other limbs... too much headroom (or WAY too much in this case) is just as aesthetically displeasing.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I didn't know which difference between when I saw part 1 (were was to be contionued ha)
I hope this was a joke. There should be no "To Be Continued", not sure who/when or HOW that debate ever started, but geez they made part II 5 years later, they were NOT planning on creating one and therefore would not have DID NOT put a To Be Continued!

Bryce Miner

Stunt Coordinator
I watched part II yesterday and will watch part III today. Yes the framing issue in the street, but I'm glad that didn't keep me from purchasing this set! After watching the first one I'd pay 40 dollars just for it! It looked and sounded great!

I'll see how this goes in Feb. in replacing II and III. If it's a big hassle, I won't worry about it.

Christopher D

Second Unit
Can someone please help me? I was looking for the Home Theater Forum and seem to have been redirected to DVD Talk.

(Disclaimer: I like DVD Talk, but this is definitely a DVD Talk thread.)

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Perhaps these DVDs represent what could happen if current events continue their course into the future. The images on the DVDs aren't just cropped--they're erased... from existence! This is no doubt due to some future time traveller going back in time in order to grab copies the original Back to the Future DVDs that were kept in storage in 1998 because of the distribution rights issue. Clearly, this venture into the past caused a time paradox that even now is rippling into the present and erasing parts II and III from our 2002 box set. This sort of thing could end up destroying the entire universe! Granted, that's a worst-case scenario. Perhaps the damage will be localized to our DVD shelves and certain retailers only, but we can't take that chance! We've got to go back! Back to the future!

P.S. And yes, I was just kidding when I said "were was to be contionued ha."

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My neighbor was intested in seeing the screen shots of the misframing issue. And now they are missing from the 1st page of this thread. Anyone know what happened to the frame shots? Or where I can get access to them via another web site? I hope this is only a glitch and not an attempt to make it unatainable due to Universal asking for it to disapear?

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
People have mentioned the "watery" sound at the "Enchantment Under the Sea" in Part II (around the 76:24 mark into the film). Nobody else seems to have mentioned that the sound also goes bad a little bit before that and much earlier in the film, when Doc is looking at Marty Jr. through the binoculars. I hope these sections are fixed as well as the framing.

Neil

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
The distortion at around the 7 minute mark was noted on a previous post by me in the BTTF review thread. BTW, I checked the dts track on the R2 version and it's disortion free. Those represses better fix this problem, as it's more distracting to me than the dodgy framing.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
People have mentioned the "watery" sound at the "Enchantment Under the Sea" in Part II (around the 76:24 mark into the film). Nobody else seems to have mentioned that the sound also goes bad a little bit before that and much earlier in the film, when Doc is looking at Marty Jr. through the binoculars. I hope these sections are fixed as well as the framing.
Has anyone called or e-mailed Universal about the sound problem?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I would hope, with his contacts, Ron would have passed this along. That is also why, I had hoped Ron would be able to let us know about corrected versions hitting the shelves. As, with his contacts, now that we've asked this, he might have asked and found something out.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
MarcinL,

I DO HAVE the DVD set, and HAVE watched through Pt II, and YES there are many framing problems.
If you had read the thread and the other thread referring to the problems as you claim to have, you would know why all the binocular parts are fine (and all special effects shots for that matter.)
They are correct because those portions of the film were hard-matted for the effects guys to work on. (Obviously, you dont' have people make more effect than they need that would be a waste of time and money.) So there was no chance for some sleepy tech to mis-mat those shots since they were already completed and properly matted 1.85:1.
Since BTF 2 has a lot of effects shots, especially when it comes to doubling actors, many shots are framed perfectly as they were when the film was released.
BUT many are not. I noticed in the first few minutes of the film it was way off when Doc, Jennifer, and Marty are sitting in the Delorean. Their faces were all in the BOTTOM HALF of the screen. WAY TOO LOW. And this kind of thing happens often. Anyone who knows anything about videography knows about the rule of thirds and the DVD's clearly violate them often in scenes without special effects.
As for parts not being cut off, in the same scene as the jacket you also see Marty turn out his pants pocket as Doc instructs, but wait you DON'T SEE HIM DO IT. Michael J. Fox may has well have just stood there since again the frame was top heavy (way too much headroom.) Much of the film has a feel that you're watching it from up in the air looking down because of this mis-framing. (Intentional in a few scenes perhaps, but not as many as are on the DVD) Sometimes you see little more than the actor's necks or very tops of their shoulders, but have no important information above them. Just voids.
As for the screenshot you couldn't seem to find, I believe that is when Marty is drying his jacket, and you can't see the hoverboard, nor much of his jacket drying for that matter. Certainly not his pants!!
Maybe you should watch the movie again instead of telling everyone else to watch it.
Seems you're the one who's flaming everyone here with your all-caps demands.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
This is strange. I had previously verified that some scenes
in BTTF 2 are zoomed and cropped (with the laserdisc and
fullscreen broadcast) but some scenes are just fine!
I just A/B some scenes from part 1 (around
100.47) which are duplicated in part 2 (around 100.58)
and the framing is exactly the same!
(and for part 3, around 1.35)
My guess would have been if the framing would have been
constantly wrong, the scenes which exists both in 1,2 and 3
should have been zoomed and cropped in part 2 and 3,
but that was not the case.
(this is the region 1 versions)
This all assumes that part 1 is correctly framed of course.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The sections from the first film that are at the end of Part II are taken from the transfer from the first film. Bob Gale mentions this on the scene specific commentary.

Neil

Seth_S

Second Unit
Eventhough this topic has been talked about to death, here are my two cents:

I finally got around to watching the trilogy this past weekend, and I found the framing to be extremely awkward in places. While it doesn't ruin the movies, it is quite distracting. I also thought that the video quality of part I was below par for recent catalogue releases. It's not bad, but I've definitely seen better. Not to sound like a total whiner, but the extra features are pretty much just fluff (though I haven't listened to any of the commentaries yet). The broken up Bouzereau documentary is essentially a promo and features virtually none of the cast. The poor quality of the doc was surprising considering that Universal and Bouzereau managed to round up every living cast and crew members of Hitchcock's films for the docs on the Hitchcock DVDs (they also had substantially more substance to them).

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
I have the R4 release (which is identical to the R2), and the audio distortion is definitely there in the two parts mentioned. I don't have the ability to check the DTS track right now, but it's definitely on the DD track. I'd be surprised if it is a DD only error, as it sounds like an auido mastering glitch.

Oh, and the mis-framing sucks. Can't wait to get the R1 fixed version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks