What's new

Back to the Future Rumor (1 Viewer)

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
According to DVD Obsession, there is a rumor circulating that we should be seeing special editions of the Back to the Future Trilogy by Christmas. As I am salivating heavily for any news on this beloved trilogy, I would love to know if anyone has any other information on this, or can confirm or deny this rumor. Also, considering the fact that this release date speculation is probably about the fiftieth one for the Trilogy, I am not placing any stock in this...yet. Any details?

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
But is DVD Obsession a reliable source? I won't believe it till it's in my hands.
frown.gif

------------------
Michael's DVD's

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately up to this point there have been as many rumored release dates as there were alternate timelines in the films. Until something official comes up I'm not going to hold my breath.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
If I had a nickel for every rumored "release date" that has come and gone, I could probably...buy the BTTF Collector's Editions!
Seriously though, I wouldn't hold out much hope for the set this year (now watch it come out for Xmas!)
------------------
webmaster davisdvd.com
International Exclusives

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
These discs have supposedly been ready to roll for over a year. The reported holdup has been "legal issues" swirling around the original BTTF.
The latest unofficial "official" report from Universal regarding BTTF was "not this year".
Now, presumably, this could change in a wink of an eye if the legal problems should suddenly "go away". I suppose that we could hope that this rumor is the first indication that the legal problems are, indeed, over.
One thing's for sure: Should this rumor prove to be true there would have to be an official announcement regarding the Christmas Release within the next six-eight weeks; so we should know something for sure within that time frame.
Joseph

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Could you imagine the sales for these discs if released in time for Christmas? MY GOD!!!
------------------
Kyle³
------------------
Yahoo Messenger - digitalkyle

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
While having these announced sometime soon certainly would be a early Christmas gift. I would tend to believe they are still a good 6 to 8 months away. I Have been thinking over if i want all three and have been leaning towards just buying the first one. But seeing artwork of a box set could quickly change my mind,i dunno if that is good or bad. :)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
You know what, I don't think that they would release em for this Christmas even if they could. There is a LOT of high profile stuff coming out between now and then vying for Christmas dollars, and I'm sure that with Back to the Future they want a captive audience. I'd put this as a shortly after Christmas release, or next spring/summer if I had to guess.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
Unfortunately, I don;t think anything here is reliable. I'll wait till I see the bog news on the digital bits or dvd file...
------------------
jsb.jpg-thumb_122_91.jpg

Jay and Silent Bob in
CLERKS

DanR

Supporting Actor
I have a hard time believing Universal is not going to release a major catalog title this Fall (and more so, not going to release a Spielberg related DVD in 2001). I mean, last year we got Jaws and the Jurassic Park movies, but nothing Spielberg-related this year would REALLY surprise me. It obviously won't be ET (b/c of the SE release next year), so my guess is Schinlder's List, Back to the Future, or Casper.
Regards,
Dan

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
Damn, guess its gonna be Casper then
tongue.gif

Didn't the problem with the BTTF DVD have something to do with the inclusion of some footage of Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly before Michael J Fox took over?
Don

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Well I'd like to say two things:
1) I really don't think the Eric Stolz footage is worth the wait we've endured. Apparently there's quite a lot and yes it would be interesting to see it but from the sounds of things there's already commentaries and other stuff on there so is it really worth spending all this money on the legal issue (if that's the case).
2) I object to this attitude that somehow a DVD should be release to coincide with an anniversary. That article from BTTF.com had a quote along the lines of "we don't just throw a DVD title out there."
Why the hell not? It's bloody criminal to think that if we're coming up on a 10th, 15th, 25th anniversary we have to wait for that. c.f. Blade Runner - apparently it's all been done and dusted for ages but now we have to wait probably another year from now for the DVD until after it's been in the cinemas again. At least we have the bare bones but WB still seem to feel that it warrents a higher price tag than their other stuff.
My message to the studios is this: People buy DVDs. In fact if you put the Back To The Future DVDs out tomorrow with no publicity I estimate it would take about a week from the first frothing fan spotting it in HMV to the Timbucktoo press running massive features on it.
Theo

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Makes me glad that I found all 3 laser discs on Ebay for $35! I'm sure they will make it to DVD one day, but until then I can still watch them in Widescreen!!
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Aaron Ulmer

Agent
I wouldn't hold my breath for a Christmas release. There would be more substantial rumors flying around at this point.
However, I do find it promising that it's back on the release schedule. The last word was that it had been dropped off completely. Let's just hope it's not Christmas of 2002!

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lars Larsen
The greatest rumor about the hold up, was that Universal didn't think it would sell very well!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

No it is quite an obscure piece of art-house.
- Lars from Mars

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks