Back to the Future Rumor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Skoobooz, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Skoobooz

Skoobooz Stunt Coordinator

Jay
    According to DVD Obsession, there is a rumor circulating that we should be seeing special editions of the Back to the Future Trilogy by Christmas. As I am salivating heavily for any news on this beloved trilogy, I would love to know if anyone has any other information on this, or can confirm or deny this rumor. Also, considering the fact that this release date speculation is probably about the fiftieth one for the Trilogy, I am not placing any stock in this...yet. Any details?

2. Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack Second Unit

But is DVD Obsession a reliable source? I won't believe it till it's in my hands. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Michael's DVD's

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Unfortunately up to this point there have been as many rumored release dates as there were alternate timelines in the films. Until something official comes up I'm not going to hold my breath.
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

4. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

If I had a nickel for every rumored "release date" that has come and gone, I could probably...buy the BTTF Collector's Editions!
    Seriously though, I wouldn't hold out much hope for the set this year (now watch it come out for Xmas!)
    ------------------
    webmaster davisdvd.com
    International Exclusives

5. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

These discs have supposedly been ready to roll for over a year. The reported holdup has been "legal issues" swirling around the original BTTF.
    The latest unofficial "official" report from Universal regarding BTTF was "not this year".
    Now, presumably, this could change in a wink of an eye if the legal problems should suddenly "go away". I suppose that we could hope that this rumor is the first indication that the legal problems are, indeed, over.
    One thing's for sure: Should this rumor prove to be true there would have to be an official announcement regarding the Christmas Release within the next six-eight weeks; so we should know something for sure within that time frame.
    Joseph

6. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

Anymore info about the release date on this set?
    ------------------
    Steve,
    DVD Collection

7. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

8. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Could you imagine the sales for these discs if released in time for Christmas? MY GOD!!!
    ------------------
    Kyle³
    ------------------
    Yahoo Messenger - digitalkyle

9. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

While having these announced sometime soon certainly would be a early Christmas gift. I would tend to believe they are still a good 6 to 8 months away. I Have been thinking over if i want all three and have been leaning towards just buying the first one. But seeing artwork of a box set could quickly change my mind,i dunno if that is good or bad. [​IMG]

10. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

You know what, I don't think that they would release em for this Christmas even if they could. There is a LOT of high profile stuff coming out between now and then vying for Christmas dollars, and I'm sure that with Back to the Future they want a captive audience. I'd put this as a shortly after Christmas release, or next spring/summer if I had to guess.

11. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

Here's a more recent article (Aug 14th): http://www.bttf.com/news/01081401.shtml
    Nothing new really. Just that it's on the release schedule (I wish some insider could get there hands on that schedule and post it here).
    ------------------
    Check out my home-built mame cabinet here!

12. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

Unfortunately, I don;t think anything here is reliable. I'll wait till I see the bog news on the digital bits or dvd file...
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Jay and Silent Bob in
    CLERKS

13. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

I have a hard time believing Universal is not going to release a major catalog title this Fall (and more so, not going to release a Spielberg related DVD in 2001). I mean, last year we got Jaws and the Jurassic Park movies, but nothing Spielberg-related this year would REALLY surprise me. It obviously won't be ET (b/c of the SE release next year), so my guess is Schinlder's List, Back to the Future, or Casper.
    Regards,
    Dan

14. Don Myles

Don Myles Stunt Coordinator

Damn, guess its gonna be Casper then [​IMG]
    Didn't the problem with the BTTF DVD have something to do with the inclusion of some footage of Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly before Michael J Fox took over?
    Don

15. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Well I'd like to say two things:
    1) I really don't think the Eric Stolz footage is worth the wait we've endured. Apparently there's quite a lot and yes it would be interesting to see it but from the sounds of things there's already commentaries and other stuff on there so is it really worth spending all this money on the legal issue (if that's the case).
    2) I object to this attitude that somehow a DVD should be release to coincide with an anniversary. That article from BTTF.com had a quote along the lines of "we don't just throw a DVD title out there."
    Why the hell not? It's bloody criminal to think that if we're coming up on a 10th, 15th, 25th anniversary we have to wait for that. c.f. Blade Runner - apparently it's all been done and dusted for ages but now we have to wait probably another year from now for the DVD until after it's been in the cinemas again. At least we have the bare bones but WB still seem to feel that it warrents a higher price tag than their other stuff.
    My message to the studios is this: People buy DVDs. In fact if you put the Back To The Future DVDs out tomorrow with no publicity I estimate it would take about a week from the first frothing fan spotting it in HMV to the Timbucktoo press running massive features on it.
    Theo

16. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

Makes me glad that I found all 3 laser discs on Ebay for $35! I'm sure they will make it to DVD one day, but until then I can still watch them in Widescreen!!
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

17. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....zzzzzz...........zzzzzzzz. .....

18. Roger Bijou

Roger Bijou Auditioning

[​IMG]

19. Aaron Ulmer

Aaron Ulmer Agent

I wouldn't hold my breath for a Christmas release. There would be more substantial rumors flying around at this point.
    However, I do find it promising that it's back on the release schedule. The last word was that it had been dropped off completely. Let's just hope it's not Christmas of 2002!

20. Lars Larsen

Lars Larsen Stunt Coordinator

Lars Larsen
    The greatest rumor about the hold up, was that Universal didn't think it would sell very well!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    No it is quite an obscure piece of art-house.
    - Lars from Mars