What's new

BACK TO THE FUTURE DVD: Corrected Versions In Stores, FAQ & Summary (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Certainly suggests that, however once the order is placed, anything can happen.

I submit this story:
In the summer of 2003, a friend of mine decided to order a copy of the Usual Suspects from Amazon. This was shortly before the SE version came out from MGM and the MGM reissue of the polygram version was on store shelves.

When he ordered, it arrived and it was a brand new, shrinkwrapped copy of the Usual Suspects in the original Polygram slide drawer case. That polygram version was one of the first handful of DVD titles in wide release, but probably hadn't been widely available in three years or more.

So, I guess anything is possible...

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i'm also one of the ones who waited....man am i happy to finally have these films on dvd!! especially at these new prices....i have only watched p2 so far....

Patrick.C

Second Unit
My local Best Buy and Circuit City both have the corrected version on the shelf priced at more than $30. So much for the "new lower price"!

I found it last night, however, at Sam's for just $16.86.

Universal's done a lousy job of notifying retail of the new SRP nationwide. My local Best Buy had it marked at $34.99 and is the only place I've seen the new editions even carried. So much for the "multi-million dollar" campaign...

Stephen @ BTTF

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
I finally exchanged my Back to the Futute Trilogy and Jurassic Park DTS for the corrected versions. However, I didn't mail the discs to Universal.

I just waited until my local Best Buy received corrected versions and exchanged them at the store. Definately beats the hell out of waiting for months, plus didnt have to pay shipping to send them to universal.

I didn't see V2 on any of the BTTF discs but it had the orange sticker on the packaging. Jurassic Park disc isn't labled D2R2 but it has the red grid on the back. I plan to check the dates on the VOB files when I get home.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Not to deflate your post with facts or anything:
The BTTF returns take weeks, not months.
The BTTF return is done in a postage paid envelope sent to you by Universal, so it also costs nothing in postage. If anything, one could argue that returning to universal is actually easier because you never have to step foot outside your house.

I couldn't get BEst Buy to take a return on a title I bought 2 days earlier... so how you got them to take a title you might have bought a year prior is beyond me.

-V

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
I read on the Jurassic Park thread it took one guy around 5 months to get his replacement.

Now a few weeks isn't bad but I was going to pickup Raging Bull anyway so I figured I'd give it a try.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Returning it is one thing, but he "exchanged" it (kind of like exchanging pants for a different size).

Some places don't even require a receipt on 'exchanges'.

StevenJames

Auditioning
In regards to the time frame for getting the revised DVDs, I called on Monday, Feb 21, received the DVD mailer on Thursday, Feb 24, and mailed my DVDs on Friday, Feb 25. I'll post here when I get the new DVDs. I'd be interested to hear about anyone else's wait time on this.

In regards to the Sam's Club sale of the BTTF DVD's, two of the three Sam's Clubs here in Plano have loads of them at $16.86. One major problem though, there's no indication on the packaging whether they are WS or FS. The employees and managers were no help on this, either. I realized that using the UPC code on my WS copy could signify the difference and it did. So, for all of you out there looking to buy BTTF at a good price (and can get into Sam's of course), here's how to tell if the package is WS or FS:

UPC 25192-21212 = Wide Screen
UPC 25192-21312 = Full Screen

BTW, I verified this by actually purchasing a FS version. My reasons for this are best left for another thread, but for now, let's just say that this is a relatively inexpensive way of doing some WS/FS comparisons (since I am researching the consequences of the Spherical filming process).

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
2+ years after its initial release, I finally picked up this set at Best Buy.

Thanks for all your work, Vince.

Jason^M

Auditioning
I think all the bulk outlets like Sams Club and Costco are the fixed copies, I bought my copy from Costco January 2005 for $17 and it was the fixed copy and it lacked any markings, it was in a weird anti-theft box that Costco uses.

BTW: Today TNT had the BTTF marathon (2/26/2005). :b

WillG

Senior HTF Member

But if they are all Full Screen, then they are not fixed, because the framing issue did not affect the full screen versions.

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up a fixed copy in WS at HMV as part of a 2 for $40 CDN deal. $20 Cdn not bad for the set.

However, it does have the usual english/french cover but does include the 6 page colour booklet that is only in english.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to the folks who posted in this thread. My replacement discs came today and look great. It was a very timely and well-handled exchange, and I have nothing but the best to say about Universal regarding this experience.

StevenJames

Auditioning
As a followup to my earlier post about getting the replacement BTTF DVDs, here's the overall time line:

Called Universal on Monday, Feb 21
Received the DVD mailer on Thursday, Feb 24
Mailed my DVDs on Friday, Feb 25
Received the replacement DVDs on Monday, March 7

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
Is the R2 set available with the corrected discs now? I'd like to get the R2 discs for DTS tracks, but never did due to them having the same framing issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks