Back to Nikon again (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Don't know anything about Cleon.

Probably get an umbrella, but a real softbox would be too much for the SB800 -- there's just not enough juice for that. I actually toyed w/ the idea of getting some Alien Bees for quality, affordable strobes a couple years back, but ended up holding off on that indefinitely since studio stuff really isn't my thing anyway. The SB800 would be ok for auxiliary light or such, but not good enough for serious studio stuff, especially as the main lights.

I should probably still get a reflector and umbrella too. Maybe I'll get to it soon enough since I think I need to pay a visit to B&H to shop for a new camera bag (and finally pick up a decent, affordable ballhead like the Giottos 3000). My old Tamrac sling/hip bag (Velocity 5) finally bit the dust -- the metal D rings for holding the strap completely wore out after ~5 years of near-daily lugging. :P Had wanted the Lowepro Slingshot 200, but it's oriented only for lugging over the right shoulder, not left, which doesn't work well for me.

Anyone have good suggestions for some other sling-type bag? Last time I looked at the larger Tamrac Velocity sling bags (like the Velocity 9), I just didn't like how tight they need to be worn, and the Velocity 5 is a bit too small now to fit the D200+lens pointing down w/ my 70-200 f/2.8 standing next to it (unless they've increased the size some since I bought mine 5 years ago).

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

It's too bad the Lowepro Slingshot 200 doesn't work due to your left shoulder requirement. This is my main travel bag/backpack, and it works quite well. I can fit my dSLR w/ 17-55 f/2.8 lens, plus my telephoto and wide angle lenses, external flash, a couple of filters, extra batteries and all the compact flash cards I need in the bag. I added a water bottle attachment accessory for hiking, too. The only thing I dislike about the bag is there is no place to attach a tripod if I need to carry one.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Sam,

That Sigma looks interesting. I'm probably just going to pick up the smaller/lighter, more affordable Nikon 70-300VR at some point myself. Don't really see needing the extra 100mm for what I shoot. Well, maybe if my sister wants to split the cost of owning one w/ me for occasional uses on trips and such, but otherwise... :P

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Sam, I also have an interest in that Sigma lens, along with the new Sigma f/5-6.3 150-500mm OS HSM lens that was announced at the same time. Since I plan to sell my Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS lens, my longest lens will be my 70-200 f/4L IS, and I would like to get to the 400-500mm range. I've been hoping that Canon would add IS to their 400mm f/5.6L prime lens, but that has not happened, and I cannot afford Canon's 500mm offerings. If the Sigmas get solid reviews when they finally hit the street, I may try one. Fortunately, I do not have an immediate need for this length, so I can wait. We are planning on either Maine or northern Michigan for our summer trip, and my 70-200mm and 1.4x TC should be enough length for either of those trips.

I've owned one Sigma lens -- the 17-70mm -- and was very satisfied. Some Sigma lenses, though, have issues with auto focus on Canon bodies, so I'll wait until these new models have been in the field awhile before buying.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, I have a Sigma zoom that has been flaky on focusing accuracy. I've sent it in twice; I think it's fine now, but I won't be using it for anything critical. I think from now on I'll aim for buying Canon lenses instead of anything third party.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Nikon is announcing the 75th anniversary lens line up tomorrow, should be fun! Rumors are rampant but many agree that the 80-400 is due for an update (as is Canon's 100-400 dustbuster, but thats a different story). Between that and the possibility of Lightroom 2.0 on Weds this week could be really cool.

http://home.nikon-asia.com/pageartic...=81-78637a35bf

Music is horrible but the vid is cool

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sam,

RE: the D300 AF system, if you're still trying to get up to speed w/ it, you might want to check out this link:

Nikon D200 Multi Cam 1000 AF Module Review

It's for a comprehensive review/guide of the D200's AF system, but it might not be that different (in actual practice) than the D300 other than the fewer number of (but larger size) AF points on the D200.

It's a very nice guide for the D200 (and he also has a similar one for the D2x). Too bad Digital Darrell hasn't gotten around to doing the same for the D3/D300's AF system.

Anyway, maybe the D200 AF review/guide will help you some...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks