What's new

Babylon 5: Should I invest my money and time? ANSWER IN POST #500 (1 Viewer)

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
I, too, was a total noob when it came to B5. So far I've bought the first 3 seasons and the pilot blind. No regrets. I just got done with season 2. While I'm not sure I'm ready to say "best sci-fi series ever", it is getting really good. About midway through season 2 is where it really picked up for me.
That CH deal is a definite no brainer. I just wish they offered seasons 4 and 5.

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
I, too, was a total noob when it came to B5. So far I've bought the first 3 seasons and the pilot blind. No regrets. I just got done with season 2. While I'm not sure I'm ready to say "best sci-fi series ever", it is getting really good. About midway through season 2 is where it really picked up for me.
That CH deal is a definite no brainer. I just wish they offered seasons 4 and 5.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe our resident B5 expert hasn't chimed in..Joe DeMartino. He can give the best info.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe our resident B5 expert hasn't chimed in..Joe DeMartino. He can give the best info.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Well, I disagree to a certain extent. I think he had more good dialog moments than bad ones, it is just the bad ones tend to stand out more.

I also think, considering the amount of episodes he wrote, you are going to have some clunkers, especially on the time schedule and his other responsibilities as creator.

He may not be Joss Whedon, but I liked most of his dialog.

Jason

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Well, I disagree to a certain extent. I think he had more good dialog moments than bad ones, it is just the bad ones tend to stand out more.

I also think, considering the amount of episodes he wrote, you are going to have some clunkers, especially on the time schedule and his other responsibilities as creator.

He may not be Joss Whedon, but I liked most of his dialog.

Jason

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I think it was Rod Serling of Twilight Zone fame who wrote that in TV you're lucky if 1/3 of your shows are very good, a 1/3 pretty good and only 1/3 are lousy. The pressures of time and money and "I don't need it good, I need it Thursday" are such that it you're doing very well indeed if 2/3 of your output is OK or better, and only every third episode is a clunker.

Think about most TV shows that have ever aired, and you'll see the math works out pretty well. I loved the original Trek, which at its best was magnificent, but I think more than a third of its shows were mediocre or worse. (Including pretty much the whole third season.) And I don't exempt Serling himself. As Stephen King has pointed out, The Twilight Zone itself is a pretty good example of "the rule of thirds" and Serling himself wrote a lot of the dogs, as well as a lot of the gems.

One reason a series like The Sopranos can beat these odds is that they aren't locked into tell 22 stories year in and year out, whether or not they have 22 good ideas for stories at the beginning of each season. They can tell as many stories as the executive producer wants to tell in a given "season" and they can take a year off when they feel like it. So such shows simply cannot be compared to series produced under the pressure of broadcast network ratings-or-die, gotta fill those time-slots pressure. Even The Sheild has the advantages of a short, planned season and the lower expectations and greater flexibility of first-run cable.

B5 beats the "rule of thirds" by a mile. Even the harshest critics are hard-pressed to come up with even a half-dozen really "bad" episodes out of 110. And even those almost all have a "B" or "C" story that makes up for any deficiancies of the "A" plot. (One of the most-maligned episodes of the whole show, "Grey 17 is Missing", has a "B" story that is not only great in itself, but sets up a major event that takes place in the following season)

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I think it was Rod Serling of Twilight Zone fame who wrote that in TV you're lucky if 1/3 of your shows are very good, a 1/3 pretty good and only 1/3 are lousy. The pressures of time and money and "I don't need it good, I need it Thursday" are such that it you're doing very well indeed if 2/3 of your output is OK or better, and only every third episode is a clunker.

Think about most TV shows that have ever aired, and you'll see the math works out pretty well. I loved the original Trek, which at its best was magnificent, but I think more than a third of its shows were mediocre or worse. (Including pretty much the whole third season.) And I don't exempt Serling himself. As Stephen King has pointed out, The Twilight Zone itself is a pretty good example of "the rule of thirds" and Serling himself wrote a lot of the dogs, as well as a lot of the gems.

One reason a series like The Sopranos can beat these odds is that they aren't locked into tell 22 stories year in and year out, whether or not they have 22 good ideas for stories at the beginning of each season. They can tell as many stories as the executive producer wants to tell in a given "season" and they can take a year off when they feel like it. So such shows simply cannot be compared to series produced under the pressure of broadcast network ratings-or-die, gotta fill those time-slots pressure. Even The Sheild has the advantages of a short, planned season and the lower expectations and greater flexibility of first-run cable.

B5 beats the "rule of thirds" by a mile. Even the harshest critics are hard-pressed to come up with even a half-dozen really "bad" episodes out of 110. And even those almost all have a "B" or "C" story that makes up for any deficiancies of the "A" plot. (One of the most-maligned episodes of the whole show, "Grey 17 is Missing", has a "B" story that is not only great in itself, but sets up a major event that takes place in the following season)

Regards,

Joe

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Ron
Definately go for it, I will add to those who say this is the best Sci-Fi TV series ever and I would put it in the top 5 SCI-FI TV or Movies ever. But as others have mentioned you do need to be patient. The 1st season is alot better after you've viewed the whole series once. You should be hooked just past the half way mark of season 2. You probably will not understand why all the "Best Sci-Fi Show ever" comments until you've finished Season 3. Then you may or may not agree. I find the special effects on par with DS9 or TNG after Season one so I always scratch my head at the low budget and poor effects comments. In fact a buddy of mine always thought B5 had a huge budget and bigger than any of the Star Trek shows until I told him it actually had a fairly low budget.

This always puzzles me as well. Sometimes the dialogue is good and sometimes its not but I find this true with just about any TV show. The acting, story, sets and FX all work together to make a great and unique SCI-FI epic. It at many times has a dark film noir feel to it.
So by all means give it a chance Ron and let us know what you think. Just be prepared to be a little patient, it really does get better and better until the end of season 4.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Ron
Definately go for it, I will add to those who say this is the best Sci-Fi TV series ever and I would put it in the top 5 SCI-FI TV or Movies ever. But as others have mentioned you do need to be patient. The 1st season is alot better after you've viewed the whole series once. You should be hooked just past the half way mark of season 2. You probably will not understand why all the "Best Sci-Fi Show ever" comments until you've finished Season 3. Then you may or may not agree. I find the special effects on par with DS9 or TNG after Season one so I always scratch my head at the low budget and poor effects comments. In fact a buddy of mine always thought B5 had a huge budget and bigger than any of the Star Trek shows until I told him it actually had a fairly low budget.

This always puzzles me as well. Sometimes the dialogue is good and sometimes its not but I find this true with just about any TV show. The acting, story, sets and FX all work together to make a great and unique SCI-FI epic. It at many times has a dark film noir feel to it.
So by all means give it a chance Ron and let us know what you think. Just be prepared to be a little patient, it really does get better and better until the end of season 4.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Nothing much to add really, except that I have a hard time getting into other TV shows because I have been spoilt by the storytelling of this amazing series.

Well then?! :confused:

Anyway, DO NOT WATCH "IN THE BEGINNING" UNTIL SOMETIME IN SEASON4.

Just ignore the movies altogether for now.

--
H

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Nothing much to add really, except that I have a hard time getting into other TV shows because I have been spoilt by the storytelling of this amazing series.

Well then?! :confused:

Anyway, DO NOT WATCH "IN THE BEGINNING" UNTIL SOMETIME IN SEASON4.

Just ignore the movies altogether for now.

--
H

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I don't know what to add that hasn't been said already. I can tell you that I currently have about 7 TV box sets that are just sitting there because I'm watch Babylon 5: Season 5 at the moment. The other sets are things I've seen once or twice if at all. I've seen B5: S5 I'd guess at least 10 times since it aired. It's easily my favorite show.

I'd also recommend skipping In The Beginning. As for The Gathering, watch if you get the opportunity, but if you don't get around to it till later, you won't be missing much.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I don't know what to add that hasn't been said already. I can tell you that I currently have about 7 TV box sets that are just sitting there because I'm watch Babylon 5: Season 5 at the moment. The other sets are things I've seen once or twice if at all. I've seen B5: S5 I'd guess at least 10 times since it aired. It's easily my favorite show.

I'd also recommend skipping In The Beginning. As for The Gathering, watch if you get the opportunity, but if you don't get around to it till later, you won't be missing much.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Throw in another vote for best sci-fi series ever. This is actually my favorite TV show of all time, and I have been a major Star Trek fan for as long as I can remember. No, I haven't seen The Sopranos, but I just don't get into that genre. I can vouch for the sometimes poor video quality when used on a big screen though. My screen is only 72" wide (works out to 82" diagonal at 16:9), and there are scenes which are quite blurry and/or grainy. I tried watching it zoomed way in at a smaller size for a while. While the picture was better, I just loved the impact of the larger size, and the storytelling is so good that in short order I quickly learned to ignore the less than stellar image quality.

Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Throw in another vote for best sci-fi series ever. This is actually my favorite TV show of all time, and I have been a major Star Trek fan for as long as I can remember. No, I haven't seen The Sopranos, but I just don't get into that genre. I can vouch for the sometimes poor video quality when used on a big screen though. My screen is only 72" wide (works out to 82" diagonal at 16:9), and there are scenes which are quite blurry and/or grainy. I tried watching it zoomed way in at a smaller size for a while. While the picture was better, I just loved the impact of the larger size, and the storytelling is so good that in short order I quickly learned to ignore the less than stellar image quality.

Aaron Gilbert

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

B5 really is an accomplishment. To be able to run a huge plot through 5 and deal with all the changes that circumstances throw at you, and still have something that works out this well, is pretty darn amazing.

Jason

derek

Second Unit
Yep...as everyone has said best scifi tv show ever. Only way I could justify springing ~$250 for the 5 season set.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I have noticed that varied pic quality. Certain scenes look great, that others like blurry in comparison. The story more than makes up for it!!

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
* Best Sci FI TV series I have ever watched, and I am a sci fi nut. I actually take it one step more and state that is my favorite TV series of all time.

* If you enjoy long story form, you will love this series

* If you enjoy character development, you will love this series. Too many people gave up on the series early because of Londo but soon enough he became one of the greatest TV characters ever IMO.

* However, since it is long story form, DO NOT judge the series on the first few episiodes. As many have mentioned on here, by the middle of season 2 things take off, and you will be swept away by all of seasons 3 and 4, just too brilliant for words

* DO NOT watch or listen to ANY of the extras

This can not be stated strongly enough. The story telling provides for some very strong moments, some of which are defining moments for the entire story. Having these spoiled would SIGNIFICANTLY reduce your frrst time enjoyment

* The series has wonderful rewatch value. As mentioned before, some of the defining moments of the series are built from many many smaller moments some of which at first watch you would think are insignificant. So it is fun to go back an rewatch to look for clues etc

* I would also rent The Gathering to start with. Please remember that it is a pilot and many things change by the first episode but it will give you a baseline to work from.

I hope you do give the show a try. It is arc story telling at its best IMO.

Let us know if you do delve into it.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks