What's new

Babylon 5 custom cover art (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, folks! And Kyle, to my knowledge JMS has never seen the covers!

...Which brings me to last Spring. He was appearing at a Comic Con at a High School in NJ (about two and ahalf hours away from me). They were trying to raise money so they wouldn't have to abolish their arts program. I was gonna head there with covers in hand, hoping I could get him to sign them. Alas, I had to go to a co-workers birthday party for her two year old daughter! I was really bummed! I would have loved to meet and chat with the guy.

Ric

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I think I've asked this before and if I did, I apologize. What kind of paper do you all use, and what store is good to get it at (in US)?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
The best size legal paper you can find. I prefer glossy photo, but it is extremely hard to find. So what I do is buy Epson 13x19 glossy photo at CompUSA, and each sheet into two 8 and a half x 13" sheets. While not quite legal size, it still does the trick.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I'd love to save room and just put the collection in the slim cases, but the wider spine art is just TOO good. I have to order the cases and find some paper. I have an HP 5550 anyone else have this printer, how do they come out?

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Ric...

JUST a thought here...

you may well consider a SIX disc version of the Movie Collection Case.. for when "Legend of the Rangers" comes out (tenatively scheduled as a single disc release..)

and need I wonder if You've started a 7 CASE SPINE SET for when CRUSADE is released? (perhaps the Excalibur heading toward the station on that Spine?) [and before someone says it, yes they DID go to B5 during Crusade...]

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Rick P,

Already thought of those two scenarios! I will definately make a six disc version of the movies to include "Legend of the Rangers"

Crusade will be a four disc set (I think). I'll do my best to incorporate it into the present design, but no promises. The thin versions of my design will not allow any room for a single picture on the spine, and even the "Fat" alpha version will have to go into a 4 disc case, which is the same size as the present Movie Collection case, also not leaving much room for a pic unless the Excalibur is flying just about straight at you or away from you. Anyway, like I said, I'll try to make something work so that it looks like it belongs with the rest of the set... more or less!

Ric

Rick P

Supporting Actor

Simplest solution...

(as you say, 99.9% of the people that are buying these will buy them ALL...)

get cracking on the CRUSADE SPINE(s) now....

and have the EXCALIBUR go across BOTH the MOVIE and CRUDADE spines (after all, they are in BOTH sets).

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
It'll work, but you won't get two covers off one sheet. The "fat" covers measure over 12 inches wide. You would end up with two sheets 8.5x11. Which happens to be the same size as regular Photo Paper... which is letter size... which is too small!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
My cases arrived yesterday and I already had the covers printed out (8.5x13 photo paper). I had to cut a tiny bit horizontally to make them fit, and the movie set one was too big, so I reprinted it setting the printer to 8.5x12.

They look fantastic on the shelf!

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Which cases did you get Mike? I'm still working on scouring ebay for seasons 4 and 5 to complete my set.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I just ordered 13 cases! :) Enough for all of B5 and DS9. Something I forgot to ask, what did everyone print the inserts on? Just normal photo paper?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Good to hear, Kyle.

Now about printing them... The following is copied and pasted from my website...

All of these covers need to be printed on legal size (8½" x 14") paper. Photo quality paper is the best, but unfortunately legal size photo paper is hard to come by. A solution that I have found is to get some 13" x 19 " photo paper (329 x 483mm). I use Epson's glossy Super A3 (aka: Super B), it's available at CompUSA and on the web. Cut each sheet into two 8½ x 13 sheets. While you end up with a sheet that's one inch shorter than legal size, the covers should still fit when printed up.

Using a photo editing program such as Adobe Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro to print the covers is highly recommended. A lot of simple picture viewers have issues with images that are greater than 100dpi (dots per inch) The high-resolution images featured on this site are all 300dpi.

Make sure the printer is set to the best quality and that it is also set to landscape (or horizontal) mode. You also may be able to set the document so that it prints as close to the edge as possible. If the picture automatically defaults to the center, the cover may get cut off when using paper that is 13" long.

I recommend printing the first cover on a scrap sheet at poor quality (or draft mode), just to make sure you're doing it correctly and not wasting a lot of paper or ink.

Hope that helps,
Ric

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Hey, Kyle...

I just realized you asked the same question a few posts ago! I knew I was having deja vu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks