What's new

Babylon 5 custom cover art (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Just a little something I was playing around with. I'll probably pursue it in a week or so. They are made to fit around a 6 disc alpha case.

Ric

Rick P

Supporting Actor
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Looks superb so far. :emoji_thumbsup: What's going on with the spine transition from season 1-2 though? The blue background nebula doesn't seem to match.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
I like them, but I just can't justify taking up the extra shelf space to go with anything other than the slim 6's. I'd considered putting something together, but my artistic skill is no match for Ric's. I do know that I'm not leaving them in the original cases though, too dangerous :).

Hmm, what ships are those on the season 1 mockup?

But man Ric, the covers you put together are sick, just plain sick.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys. It's still a work in progress, so some changes and refinements will no doubt occur.

After this is finished, I may try something for "slim sixes". My only problem with them is that they come in two sizes: an inch wide spine and on that is 15/16" wide. When doing a continuing shot that 1/16th inch of a difference is going to cause some havok.

Anyway, a friend at DVD Cover Art (Jupiter Prime) designed a really nice B5 set. He's generously allowing me to use his back designs and his 3d ship meshes for my design.

Those Starfuries on the spine are also his. The bottom bar will be for the legal stuff and logos. I also may drop the credits down there. For the most part, I think its a pretty good fit. I'll have to see how the other backs work out. Anyway, there's still plenty to work out and I have some other projects that I've beed ignoring, so I'll get back to these in a bit.

Ric

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
As usual, those are some excellent covers, Ric. I have only used the TOS ones myself, but I might have to use these for my B5 collection, too.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
Ric, those look really great! Too bad the studios can't put as much thought and effort into their packaging.

About the nebula/Star Fury, I think it is an optical illusion. That part of the nebula sort of falls behind the Star Fury, and looks like glowing exhaust. When the cases are viewed full-size, it should be a little more obvious that the nebula falls behind the Star Fury. If anything, it's a composition fault on the original piece of artwork, and the topmost Star Fury probably should've been moved up a bit more so it didn't blend in with the nebula.

And those ships on the Season One set are, I think, Vorlon "heavy cruisers."

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hey Ric where are you getting your 6 Disk cases from now. I used to get them at Inetdvd but they don't carry them anymore. Tape and Media.com my other retailer only really has the slim4's.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Ric,

AWESOME!! That's beautiful stuff there!! As you well know though, I'll be waiting for the "redesigned slim 6 version" ;) !! Looks great though!!

Dave,

Email me if you want some 6 disc alphas. I have a bunch of them here that I don't have a need for since I have completely switched to slim 6s. I am willing to let you have them for shipping cost + a few dollars.

LMK

Greg

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Ric, you're a god as usual. I LOVED your Trek cases, and the TNG ones look great on my shelf. I have to start buying the B5 sets. I still have Season 7 of DS9 to get then B5 is next.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Ric, that is stunning, gorgeous and incredibly better than what Warner Bros. came up with. The "mosaic pic of the station continued across all five boxes" is so obviously right that I can't believe Warner Bros. didn't go for it. What you've done is very much what I envisioned when I first started dreaming of a B5 DVD release in 1997 - only better.

I'll have to check out these sites for buying other case styles and then get ready to download the finished artwork when you're done. With your permission I'd like to post a link to this thread over at wwww.b5tv.com. I'm sure a lot of the fans there would be interested in the new art, and in the idea of replacing the problematic WB case with their tendency to induce "floating" discs with something a bit sturdier.

Regards,

Joe

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys! I'm still tweaking the design a bit. That nebula is the same one I used for a ST: TOS set, so I may be replacing it with somehting a little different.

Frank, I don't think you'll need to download just the spine as I expect to have all these done by this weekend

As far as I know, InetDVD still has the cases available right here. You can also get them for a btter price at US Plastic.

After I finish with these I'll design another one for the slimmer cases. Unfortunately there are two versions and the spines vary by a 16th of an inch, so I may have to do two versions of that as well. It may not be such a panoramic pic and may just eature the Station, I'll have to play around with it to see what works best. My preference is for the bigger pic!

Joe, I wouldn't mind at all you telling the B5 community about these, but I would ask you to wait until they're finished and perhaps point them to my website where they will be able to be downloaded.

Ric

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
BTW, Ric, can't wait to see your continuing spine shot for the slim cases, whenever you get to it. And as soon as I get my hands on some slim 7 disc cases, I'll be sending some your way so you can do a slim version of STTNG!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks