What's new

Babylon 5 announced by Warner (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I have just read on DVDFile that Warner have confirmed the release of B5 on DVD (The Gathering and In the Beginning)
No specs yet, but I pray that In the Beginning is in widescreen
Are there any petitions we can sign for this one ? :)
Seriously though, we should not have to petition Warner to release titles in widescreen. They should get the message that there is a large market for this, and release both versions if necessary. At least then, everyone will be happy, including Warner who should make money on both widescreen and fullscreen

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Number 7204...
Okay not a big leap from the last post but it's important to try and keep this where people can see it.
Anyway to change the title to reflect the petition link in here?
Cheers
Theo

RichMiller

Grip
Number 7210.
------------------
Technophilia is like hemophilia...
In both cases bleeding oneself dry is a danger.

Adrian_N

Agent
Already signed: 6113
I also am looking forward to the details. I wonder how long the movies will be released before they announce the reat of the series.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
I have never seen a single episode of this show. I don't really even know too much about it. I am always looking for good quality TV programs that are finding their way to DVD (hopefully Warner doesn't go the "Best of" route).
My question, what is the best way to start watching this series? Will watching the two movies that are scheduled to be released give me a good understanding to what the series will be like? Or will watching the two movies give too much away? Or are the movies anything like the weekly shows?
I know there are some big Babylon 5 fans here so hopefully you can help me out.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Jesse, "The Gathering" movie on the upcoming Warner disc is the series pilot. That's the one to start with - it's the one most B5 fans started with. Note there are characters in the pilot that do not reappear in the series.
The "In The Beginning" movie for the most part tells of events that took place before those in "The Gathering". However, it focuses on a character who does not join the series until the 2nd season. In addition, it will spoil some of the plot revelations in the series' 1st 3 seasons. It's hard to elaborate without spoilers - B5's creator wove quite an intricate thread with this series, with careful foreshadowing throughout. Watching "In The Beginning" in the beginning (ha!) won't ruin the series by any means, but it will make at least one of the mysteries of the first couple of seasons much less mysterious.
That's my opinion at any rate - it's been a while since I've seen "In The Beginning". Hopefully others who have been watching the reruns more recently will chime in.
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Jesse, Sci-Fi just started again with season 1 last week. You could probably start watching now without missing too much if you wanted to. Also, the Lurker's Guide at http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/lurker.html is very good for picking up info you missed. IMHO the story really picks up in season 2, so if you start watching now, give it a chance. As the characters get developed more, and as some of the stories piece themselves together it gets very interesting. This show sometimes has foreshadowing 2 or 3 seasons in advance, it really is quite an intricate series of stories.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I highly recommend watching the show in the order it was aired. In The Beginning shows events in the past (relative to the series) that is revealed slowly and carefully throughout the first four years of the show.
Here's my guide to watching Babylon 5:
1. Watch The Gathering.
Keep in mind that it's just a pilot. Don't get too attached to the telepath, the doctor, and the second-in-command, as they don't come back for the series. Other than that, it's a good mystery story and sets up the B5 universe.
2. Watch the first season.
Ignore the make up change in Delenn. Expect to see some stinker episodes, but some really cool ones as well.
3. Watch the second season.
This is where the show really starts to take off. Differetn main hero character. Story arc really picks up. Old face returns...
4. Watch the third season.
Be amazed.
5. Watch the fourth season.
Remember to breathe while watching this roller coaster. Phenominal stuff.
6. Watch In the Beginning.
After the fourth season, all of the stuff shown in In The Beginning has been revealed. No you get to see it all put together in a historical story-telling format. Really cool.
7. Watch Thirdspace
This is another TV movie. It takes place in season 4. It's OK, not the best stuff around.
8. Watch Season 5 except the last episode.
Very controversial season. Some like it, some don't. I do. Most agree that the second half is good.
9. Watch River of Souls
Another made for TV movie. Takes place in season 5. Not great.
10. Watch the last episode.
The grand finale. Heavy stuff.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I think the Lurker's guide (posted by Keith Mickunas) actually gives the exact position within the Season 4 arc that Thirdspace lies.
The timeline given is correct. It's definitely bad news to watch 'In The Beginning' in the beginning. ;-)
Theo

Michel Saucier

Auditioning
I just typed a mini-book full of enlightening comments on B5 :) and it was all lost because I typed my password in wrong
frown.gif
so this is a test to make sure I typed it correctly. But I don't have it in me to type it all over again!
frown.gif

Michel

Michel Saucier

Auditioning
Strangely enough, when I typed it wrong again and backspaced, my previous message reappeared. It's a shame that my long one didn't (for some reason). Anyway..
Mike Broadman covered it perfectly. I began watching the series from the beginning of season 2 when it was on syndication, and I was completely hooked. But after I watched S1 on TNT (damn them), I realized that many important plotlines began which develop throughout the rest of the season. So as long as you stick with it, you will see some cool episodes (especially the S1 finale) and have the fun of seeing them develop in S2 and beyond.
I am going crazy waiting for the entire series to be released on DVD (hopefully in a boxset like the X-Files). I would be elated if they contained behind-the-scenes documentaries and gag reels (I've seen them all, and they are totally hilarious).
I still swear that the episodes on the Sci-Fi channel aren't the true widescreen format that the shows were originally filmed in. They looked cropped because, in many closeups, characters' heads and chins look like they are unusually chopped off. Does anyone agree?
I heard that the DVD for the two movies won't include any extras. What a shame.
Anyway, what I said in my lost-post, the show is highly underrated and certainly deserved Emmys in all categories. Many acting performances are quite powerful (Londo, G'Kar, and Captain Sheridan in Season 4). I flipped when I saw that Sarah Michelle Gellar was nominated last year for best actress in Buffy (I can't remember if it was the Emmys or Golden Globe--do they do TV?). I was content with the idea that Sci-Fi didn't get respect and "important" awards until I saw that.
One final note, anyone who misses Babylon 5 (all five seasons) is seriously missing out on thoughtful, powerful, and entertaining "entertainment."
Michel (I shall forever be known as a Babylon 5 nut) :)
------------------
"Michel..like Michelle..only not spelt the same." [borrowed from The Green Mile] :D

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
I still swear that the episodes on the Sci-Fi channel aren't the true widescreen format that the shows were originally filmed in. They looked cropped because, in many closeups, characters' heads and chins look like they are unusually chopped off. Does anyone agree?
For the first couple seasons and The Gathering, the pilot, this is true. These episodes have been "modified to fit 16x9 widescreen". The general consensus is that sci-fi channel decided to go ahead and crop the early ones so they wouldn't confuse the customers by heavily promoting B5 in widescreen only to start airing it full screen. I can't remember for sure in which season they starting filming in 16:9. I think it was season 3.
------------------

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I was under the impression that all 5 series were filmed in widescreen, and the only fullscreen episode was the pilot.
If you look at the opening titles to the first 2 series, and compare these with the same footage in the actual episodes, you can clearly see that it is not cropped.
Best example I can find is Delenn walking down the corridor, talking to Sinclair in the opening titles of Season 1. Compare this with the same footage from the episode it was taken from (Soul Hunters, I think)

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
Is there any more info on the rumor that Warner is releasing B5 not as a complete series, but instead as a "Best of...". I hope the rumor is crap, I will not buy B5 any other way other than a full series.
Todd
------------------
I want the people to know, they still have two out of three branches of government working for them, and that ain't bad! -Mars Attacks

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I really think they're only option is to release them in order and in full. They certainly will in R2 land and without the syndication problem they've no excuse. It's so plotted and has such a hardcore fanbase that it's their only option.
Of course, they're never going to give us widescreen. What's even more annoying is getting JMS to proof view EVERY episode (alledgedly) and fail to just put a mic on him for a commentary! GAH!
Theo

Michel Saucier

Auditioning
Can't they get it through their skulls that the only way to release one of the greatest TV series ever is with everything!? Widescreen, commentary, gag reels, behind the scenes, season by season, all episodes!!! Just look at the X-Files sets!! They're obviously selling well! ARGGHH!!!!!
Michel
"Absofragginglutely dammit."
------------------
"Michel..like Michelle..only not spelt the same." [borrowed from The Green Mile] :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks