What's new

Baby-proof media stand? (1 Viewer)

Mike Schmitz

Stunt Coordinator
My sister brings her daughter to my paren't house so that my dad can babysit (cheap). We need to get a stand for a TV that has no sharp corners, and we need to tie up cables and put them where the baby can't get to them. I'll probably have to hire a pro to get the cables out of the way, but does anyone know of a good stand thats baby/toddler safe, and can hold a CRT-type TV between 27"-40"?

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
In my limited experience (as an uncle) I've noticed that toddlers want to push the buttons. They cannot be decieved by remote controls that have had their batteries removed either. I saw an L shaped piece of plastic at one of the baby stores that you slide under the front of your TV and it covers the buttons on the front of the TV. You can pull it away if you need to get in there.

There is plastic conduit that is slit on the side. It's called Wire Loom, and is sold by a forum sponser http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...187&groupid=10 You can put cables in there, which should protect the cables and the baby.

I'm planning on purchasing a widescreen RPTV, and our first is due in March. I'm concerned because the TV stand should only be about a foot or two high, which will be well within her reach. I have a friend who has some plastic baby corral fencing, which he used to corral his electronics away from the kids, who have free run of everything else. This might be my eventual solution, and is another idea for you.

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator
Get a stand that has doors. My 2 year old will never stop pushing buttons. The plastic L that covers the buttons on the TV is great, but you have to have doors to keep the kids out for when the stuff is on/off

We bought an $800 entertainment center and it didnt' make a year in our house. I had to get rid of it as soon as my son started walking because my reciever would be on all day, or the DVD drawer would be open (surprised it still works) because of the button pushing. We now have cabinets, and will never do without them.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Some TVs allow you to disable the front buttons.

I would either try to find a stand that allows you to put your components up high or one with doors. In my case, my 16-month-old daughter can still open the doors, so I bought some latches (you can get them at Home Depot or most dept. stores), so she can't open them. There are some latches that you (the adult) can disable. That way, you don't have to fiddle with the latch all the time when there are no babies around.

--Nathan

Mike Schmitz

Stunt Coordinator
My main concern wasn't keeping the baby from pushing buttons. I was more worried about her getting tangled up in wires to the point where she would strangle herself. If we get a new tv (knock on wood), I'll try to talk everyone into getting (a) cabinets and (b) a HDTV Monitor in the primary viewing area. HDTV not available from Comcast in our area yet, but hopefully soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks