"B5" DVD (and other) news from JMS

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Joseph DeMartino, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Yeah, I'm still waiting for that mid-January announcement!

Ric

2. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

Harry, Jack and Albert are the Warner Bros. Not sure what the wrong side of the river indicates though...

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate

4. Jimmy M

Jimmy M Second Unit

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I'm guessing the "wrong side of the river" from JMS's point of view either means the east bank of the Hudson (which means that the announcement will come from WB in New York) or Burbank, which is presumably on one side or another of the Los Angeles River, and which is the headquarters of Warner Bros. Studio. Harry, Albert and Jack are unquestionably the founding Warner Bros., and the reference is clearly to where the announcement will be coming from, so some of the exotic speculation I've seen about the Thames in London, obscure song lyrics from bands in Australia or New Zeeland and speculation about the place of the Tigris and Euphrates in either Babylonian creation myth or contemporary politics seem to me entirely off the mark. The reference can only be to the kind of Warner Bros. facility that could plausibly make an announcement about such an upcoming project, and that means New York or Los Angeles - and thus the river reference pretty much has to be to one or the other. JMS can be obscure, but not that obscure. He always plays fair with an audience (a hold over from his days as a mystery writer.) Any clues he puts out are ones he can reasonably expect large numbers of people to figure out - which eliminates about 98% of the "river theories" that I've seen. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Reviving and old thread for those that weren't watching their emails. I saw a discussion @ B5TV.com but not everyone on HTF frequents their site! [​IMG]

From JMS's last update:

7. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Holy crap, JMS is rarely that unsubtle! [​IMG]

It's good news for sure - but I'm curious at to where a theatrical movie would appear in the B5 timeline, and who they'd want (if anyone) from the original cast... I'd love the B5 movie to be a big success, simply to encourage more non-Star Wars/Trek sci-fi movies to be made. Plus it would help other SF shows, like Farscape, find more fans.

8. Kevin Grey

I'm certainly estatic about this news all though it is rather curious that WB decides to give the green light now, vice five years ago when they series was still hot.

I'll be interested in JMS's approach- I wonder how newbie friendly it will be (I'd bet on a largely new cast with some of the principals from the show in supporting roles but I'd love to be wrong). As the report on AICN noted, given what JMS squeezed out of a tiny television budget I can't wait to see what he does with a feature budget.

I certainly hope this goes before the cameras before the Firefly movie is released. I'd hate to have Warners hold on the B5 movie while Universal tests the waters with another sci-fi property from TV.

9. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I think that b5 stuff is finally getting some new stuff because of DVD sales amoung other things, and a now bigger fan base . I didnt watch the show till it was rerun on Sci-Fi channel. there are many more out there like me so it has a lot more fans then it did when it aired

capt

10. Ric Easton

Dave,

Where in New Jersey is he gonna be? Is it part of a convention or is he alone? I live a few hours away and if I could fit it into next weekend, I'l love to get the chance to meet him.

Ric

11. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

12. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I know Jerry Doyle (Garibaldi) would love to do another B5 movie/show. He has been pushing for it for a while. I am also sure they could get most of the cast, with the exception of Claudia Christian. But, maybe they can work it out. I am sure Joseph has more info.

13. Kevin Grey

I have no doubt they could get Claudia back if they want to. She left to pursue other offers but a significant movie or television career hasn't really materialized.

14. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

15. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

jms's details about the visit to NJ:

16. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

17. Ric Easton

Damn! JMS will only be 2 hours away from me. I'd love him to sign my new B5 covers, but my God-daughter is having her dang two year old B'day party on Saturday! I don't think I'm gonna be able to get out of that one. I'd love to meet him.

Ric

18. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

19. Kevin Grey

Yeah, David Duchovny's disputes with X-Files creator Chris Carter were much harsher than the JMS-Claudia thing and that hasn't stopped Duchovny from talking recently about how excited he would be to do another X-Files film.

If there was any lingering bad blood with any B5 cast members, I would think it would be between Jerry Doyle and JMS after their somewhat recent public back and forth but I wouldn't expect that to stand in the way of Garibaldi appearing in a feature film.

20. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter