What's new

B&W vs. Axiom vs. Paradigm vs. Rocket??? (1 Viewer)

Eric Eash

Second Unit
also, i forgot to add them in there, but i've always heard good things about NHT evolution series, 3 M6s doesn't sound too bad, but after looking at this threadERT
the rockets are looking even better.

eric

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Eric, have you considered going with a 250/200/250 combo from Onix? I have a pair of 250's at the house and they can play down to about 45hz and would make a great match with a UFW-10...

Eric Eash

Second Unit
actually bob, i have, but the RS250 still doesn't do it for me like the 750. ever since i've married the wife, my taste has become more and more expensive, so when i go for some speakers, i want either the best floorstander that company has or the best bookshelf, it just depends on what i can afford. i also have severe upgraditis in all of my many other hobbies, but it always helps when i go big first, makes me wait longer to upgrade. i also hate going, "man, i should've just spent the couple hundred(thousand)and got the better one". another thing about that combo is, i'm working with direct radiating surrounds right now, and i'm not happy with them. also, i'm passing on the UFW-10 or any other commercial sub since i made my own that will play around 125db @ 20Hz. it's looking more and more like the 750's with the 200. i've heard nothing but great things about "bigfoot" and with a slightly bright receiver in the yamaha, i think the 750 will wound great. and if i need more top end, i can go with a ERT upgrade, whenever that comes out. but still, so many other choices.

eric

Eric Eash

Second Unit
ah, with a new day comes a new set of speakers to add to my list, but two will go. i have decided against the complete axiom setup due to a really good review about the VP-150 which basically said it wasn't up to par with many other center channels. since i am going mostly movies, the center is very important, plus, i just found out today through another serviceman that axiom charges to ship the m80ti. i began thinking about that plus the fact that yamahas tend to be bright, and to better help me decide, axiom is gone. also, one that is a tough find, and also had a very good review done on it was the b&w. gone it is too. i think i was more into them for the looks and the name.
now onto the added. onix ref 1s. the review i read on this mixed with many, many others praise has led me to add this along with the matching center to my list of choices. this is all i can think about all day long, so here is my new list.

-Rocket 750 x 2 (Madagascar Ebony-makes the rockets look even better)
-Rocket RSC200 x 1

vs.

-Paradigm Studio 40 x 2
-Paradigm CC-570 x 1

vs.

-NHT Evolution M6 x 3

vs.

-Onix Reference 1 x 2
-Onix Reference 100 x 1

all of these coupled with the axiom qs8s which i plan on ordering in the next week. what do you guys think of the list now? what about the Onix reference?

thanks,

eric

David Judah

Screenwriter
...b&w. gone it is too. i think i was more into them for the looks and the name.
Well, many think they have the performance to back up the reputation, but choosing speakers is such an individual thing, for we don't all have the same preferences and that makes it hard to recommend a brand for someone else.

I've heard good things about the Rockets as far as performance for price is concerned and NHT also has a great reputation, but you really need to listen to as many brands as possible to see what meets with your particular tastes, because after all, you're the one that has to live with them, not us.

Good luck,

DJ

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Hey Eric,

I responded to your questions via email....

Let me know if you need anything else...

Have a great day and THANK YOU for all you that you do for ALL of us on a day to day basis!!

Eric C D

Second Unit
One Eric to another, I wouldn't get the Onix Ref1 setup with the Yamaha receiver unless you're already sure you plan to upgrade the electronics.

Also, if you're sure you want the Axiom surrounds I think you should go with other Axiom speakers. At this kind of price point, I think the matched look all the way around adds to the looks. If you opt for the Rockets, the surround there is no slouch (and the veneer will match).

Besides, I think the days of mismatched surrounds to fronts went away when we moved from prologic to dolby digital. With the capability to use the surrounds full-range, there are pans that could be distracting if the sound goes from warm to bright or vice versa.

Good luck,

P.S. IMO the ebony are classy.

Bill Polley

Second Unit
I just bought the Epic 80 system without a subwoofer. I bought through the online "outlet store" and got a 10% discount plus another 5% for buying the system. Shipping was free for all pieces, and was fast.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
update, update, update! my mind has been made. i'm going with rockets all around hopefully with the ebony, but if i find real good deals on used i'll go with them. thanks everyone for their responses. through emails, posts, and lots of thinking, you all have steered me in the right direction. i will continue to update this thread with new developments. rockets, here i come!

eric

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Eric,

I'm going to listen to a Rocket surround system tonight at a fellows house that I found on Audioenvy.com.

I will be hearing RS750 fronts, RSC200 center, and (4) RSS300 surrounds. I will post my review of these speakers for you, though it will just be my impression.

Congratulations on your decision....I still have one to make!!

Eric Eash

Second Unit
yes, please do. i am very interested in everyone's impressions. i have really enjoyed listening to everyones opinions and as much as i hate going into stuff blind, i feel really good about making this decision.

eric

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Eric,

I just got back from my Rocket audition. Pat had one hell of a dedicated home theater room set-up. Along with the RS750 mains, RSC200 center, and (4) RSS300 surrounds, he had (2) SVS 16-46 CS subs!! He also had a 120" diaganol screen and a front projector.

This system sounded awesome for HT and music. Keep in mind that he was pushing these speakers with some high wattage amps. The mains were only about 1 1/2 feet from the side walls with the center on a low stand in front of the screen. All 4 surrounds were mounted high on the side and rear walls. The mains were toed in about 30 degrees.

I think for music I would prefer to have the main speakers out from the side walls a few feet, but his room is only 12 feet wide, and his screen takes up 10 feet of that!! In 2 channel CD music, the mains mated up well with the subs.

I don't think you'll go wrong buying these speakers. I am still going to audition more speakers this weekend. I'll let you know what I end up with. So far, the Wharfedale EVO-40's are my choice for music listening, but we'll see!!

Take care.

i have decided against the complete axiom setup due to a really good review about the VP-150 which basically said it wasn't up to par with many other center channels. since i am going mostly movies, the center is very important
Would you care to point me to this review?
I have been looking and reading a lot on speakers and have about finalized my choice on:

2 - M60Ti's
1 - VP150
2 - QS8's

I have read countless posts and reviews and did see comments on the earlier line of Axiom centers that made that exact comment. I am about to pull the trigger on this and would not be happy with a poor center.

Thanks

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I will say at the outset that I am a biased Rocket owner. Having said that you can search here or over on the AVS.com forum for the bigfoot or RSC200 Rocket center channel. It is a hard one to beat for twice the price. Real wood veneer which in and of itself does not matter to some but matters a whole bunch to others. But the sound is awsome as well. I have not tried it up directly against the Axiom's new center but I think a few here may have and hopefully will chime in on their findings or shoot outs. Both are good companies but very different in sound and style. AV123 has a sale that just started until inventory is gone for the year. Wish I had some extra cash for another room.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i can't recall where i saw the review, but i'll look around and i'm sure i can find it. i've also gotten a lot of personal emails from both axiom and rocket owners as well as people who have owned axiom and then went to rockets. give me a few days.

eric

Eric Eash

Second Unit
In the end, the best thing to do is for Eric to listen to the speakers himself...but I understand how difficult that is for him because of location. Picking the speakers from just reading the forums is an extremely difficult task.....especially when you do not have a point of reference.
it has been difficult, but since i've had such overwhelming response to this post, i've since made up my mind. unfortunately, you haven't provided me with much useful information, which leads me to the question; what was the purpose of your last post in this thread, or your last two posts?

thank you again to all who have responded to me, both publicly and personally.

take care,

eric

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Eric,

Sorry to see the negativity. Not sure how you got that feeling about me from my posts.

There are readers of these boards that do not always post, but rather do research. It would be nice to know what swayed you toward your purchase. That is all I meant by my last post. If we all responded to you privately, it would not make good reading on the board.
As for my post previous to that, I was just pointing out that a company owned forum is inheritly biased.

Sorry you got no useful information from me, but I hope I was at least able to answer your question about my last two posts. The useful information that you received in private would help many. Since there do not seem to be any posts about Axiom owners buying Rockets. If they do not want to post about them in the open, it leaves it a bit suspect.

In any case....I wish you many hours of enjoyment with your new system. I'm sure you will be very happy.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
We wish you well with your purchase and I have to take Curtis side on this to some extent. Granted there are some that post to others privately. We all do to some extent like if I want to pass on to someone something I think is only relavent to them or say something that I don't really want to air here in the forum. On the other hand we all learn from posts here about all speakers especially the internet brands which we all know by know who the few leaders are. I don't own Axiom speakers but have a few friends here and on other boards that do and they love them. I own or will own when they finally get here, Rockets, by my own preference after listening to the others. I also have many other friends that own Rockets and love them as well. My situation is kind of unique and a long story but myself I preferred the Rockets. Many others prefer Axiom and that is fine we are all different and we all respect each others decisions. Both companies make great products. I do know that Axiom is a great company and I have not heard publicly or in private from anyone here or on several other boards of anyone getting rid of their axioms for rockets. Now it may have happend once or twice but probably not alot and I spend alot of time between here, The Spot and AVS and have never heard of anyone doing this yet. Usually you get and wind up keeping what you order as your ears adjust. Or if you did it the right way you tried several different brands and sent the one back you didnt like. At any rate what works good for you is what matters but one cannot come on here in public and say I have "X" number of people that have done this but choose not to tell others about it in public whithout something to back it up. Not saying that its not true so dont take my post wrong... its just not the right thing to do and does create suspicion for alot of us. Enough said and back to your regular programming.

PeterChenoweth

Auditioning
I'm not an expert, but I'm extremely happy with my current Axiom speakers. I have a pair of m22ti's as fronts and the VP150 for a center and couldn't be happier. The rest of my system consists of 4 Energy Take 1's as SL,SBL,SBR,and SR, good-but-not-great Kenwood sub all powered by a Pioneer Elite 43TX. Granted, I've never head Rockets in person, but I can attest that the VP150 is doing a fine job.

Shipping was free and incredibly quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks