B&W Nautilus Speakers - Which One's

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Paul D. K., Dec 18, 2003.

1. Paul D. K.

Paul D. K. Stunt Coordinator

I currently own Nautilus 803's and HTM1 that I'm using for my home theater as well as music. I've purchased 804's that are still in their box. I've since decided to upgrade my electronics to B&K Ref. 50 and 200.1 mono-blocks L,C,R and possible the rears as well (or 200.2 for the rears).

Here's the issue. Now that I'm investing in a more robust processor and amplification, should I be rethinking my speaker choices? I would like to stay with the Nautilus line due to asthetics. Does anyone have any opinion regarding the following options?

Option 1: 803's for fronts, HTM1 Center, 804's for rears (current state)

Option 2: 803's for fronts and rears, HTM1 Center

Option 3: 802'3 for fronts, HTM1 Center, 803's for rears

What complicates the issue as well is that I'm not sure what is going to happen to the availability of the Nautilus line (see Danny Tse's post) and I want to make sure that cosmetically all of the speakers match.

2. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I guess my questions are:

Is money no object? Can you describe the dimensions of the room used for HT? Is it a dedicated theater?

Finally, do you want the HT system to play multi-channel (DVD-A or SACD) music.

The setup sounds awesome with the 803-804 combination. Going to 802s up front with 803s in the rear leads to concerns about powering the 802s. Those babies need around 300 wpc to really do their thing.

3. Paul D. K.

Mark C. -

Money is important, but not as important as making a decision such that I want to change in a year (especially if the current Nautilus finishes aren't available).

Currently my theater is shared with a fireplace, foozball table, etc. It's 23'8" (L) X 23' (W) X 8' (H). However, if I build on an addition next year (for my mother) one of the goals will be a dedicated home theater with no windows, sound-proof, and only one door. This will also be my main music set-up.

I want to make sure that I future proof my set-up. That's why I've decided to go with separates on the electronics, I can always add additional amps.

4. Ted Pugh

Ted Pugh Stunt Coordinator

First off the 802's love power but the B&K mono's will be more than sufficient in driving those speakers especially if you are using a sub. If it was me I would sell the 803's and 804's and purchase the 802's for the fronts, HTM1 center and buy a pair of 805's for the rears with the 850 as a sub. Some of the experts agree that for HT to only have the mains to go below 50 or so and let the sub handle most of the bass.

5. Paul D. K.

Ted -

If I purchased the 802's for the fronts, would there be any harm in keeping the 803's for the rears? By the time I bought the 805's, stands, etc. I may end up close to what I would get selling the 803's.

Subwoofer - I've been considering two 850's or two Velodyne DD-15's. Do you think one will be better than the other?

6. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

802 // 803 combo sounds awesome!! I say go that route. Think how cool it will look being surrounded by floorstanders!

7. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Paul:

You could still make quite a savings going with 805s in the rear; just don't buy the matching B&W stands, which are ridiculously priced.

I'm using the CDM stands with my 805s; they do the job fine, look nice and are half the price of the 805 stands.

Unless you're determined to have floorstanders all around because you like hi-rez multi-channel music, the 802-HTM1 fronts combined with 805 rears should really do the trick. As I recall, the 803s list for $5,000 a pair, compared to $2,000 a pair for the 805s.

8. Paul D. K.

Mark C./Ted -

I really appreciate your responses.

I guess I'm not sure what the 803's would go for in the used market vs. buying new 805's and stands. My assumption is that I wouldn't get more than $2k for them, if that. I've owned the 803's for a couple of years. The 804's I currently have at home are still in the box and can be returned for full credit, if I desire.

I think the bottom line is - do I keep the 804's, or change to the 803's or 802's while I can still get 100% of what I paid for the 804's.

I would be very interested to hear your opinions on the B&W 850 vs. the Velodyne DD-15 subs. That's my next big decision in this "upgrade" odyssey (I currently own a B&K AVR 307 and am upgrading to separates and building out the rest of the system).

One of my main goals is to "future proof" my system as my wife is getting pretty fed-up with all the time I'm spending looking at stuff. DVD-A or SACD may be in my future. I haven't heard the technology yet so I don't know.

I saw a quote on another thread where the guy was quoting his wife as saying something like - buy what you want, spend what you want, but I don't want to hear about it again for another 10 years. That's my wife's position. She won't even go into the store with me any more. I was telling my salesman last night (which by the way he has been very, very, very patient), I either have to keep my equipment for the next 10 years or change the wife first. He knows my wife well (she used to be the manager of the store next door to his) and said I was probably right - but she'd take the HT in the divorce just to get even.

9. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Paul:

There's just something in me that can't stand the thought of N-803s as surround speakers. Even a couple of years old, the 803s, if in good condition, could fetch $3,500 on the used market.

It sounds like you have the 802s in mind. If that's the case, then don't hesitate: get them! They are awesome speakers and would make a tremendous front end with your HTM1.

My advice: sell the 803s, buy the 802s and keep the 804s for the rears (although I still think you'd be better off with the 805s for rears. Call me a traditionalist).

As far as subs go, don't marry yourself to B&W. Sure, try out the new Nautilus sub. I've had one demo with the 850 and was very impressed. I have a Velodyne HGS-10 mated with my 805s, and I love the combination. Considering your plans for a dedicated HT, I would also consider SVS.

10. Dan Schulze

Dan Schulze Stunt Coordinator

Paul,

I recently purchased 802's, an HTM1 and 805's for the surrounds. I also have a Velodyne HGSII-18.

I would go with the 802's definitely, and since you already own the 803's, I would use those for your surrounds. As for sub, I have not auditioned the B&W, but as you well know Velodyne is well thought of for good, clean bass!

Just another opinion!!

Dan

11. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

If I could have floorstanders as my rears, you bet my a@# I would (mostly for music). Unfortunately, there is no way I could talk my wife into that one. I also have small kids and it just wouldn't work in my room.

The 802's upfront with your existing 803's as rears, sounds like a great set-up.

12. Jon_Krug

Jon_Krug Stunt Coordinator

i agree, there is absolutely no reason to downgrade your rears. i vote return the 804's for the 802's and go with either the velo dd 15 or an older hgs 18 or an svs pb2+ (or ultra) or b4+.

13. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

i say i wish i could afford a setup like that, soon, very soon. anyways, the only comment i have is regarding the sub. i don't think you should limit yourself to either B&W or velodyne. i have heard the velodyne HGS-18, and while it is a great sub, my diy would kill it. SVS and acoustic visions have some amazing subs that stomp on velodyne, but if aethestics is what you're after, the B&W might match up better, however, svs will color match their subs to your speakers.

happy holidays,

eric