What's new

B&W 685 (1 Viewer)

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
I was reading a book on how different types of speakers require different amps whether it's a full range, electrostatic or bookshelf speakers. I didn't know if there was any truth behind it or as long as it's 100w at 8ohm I'll be good to go?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Relic1Golf said:
I was reading a book on how different types of speakers require different amps whether it's a full range, electrostatic or bookshelf speakers. I didn't know if there was any truth behind it or as long as it's 100w at 8ohm I'll be good to go?
You are "good to go" on anything 20 to 1000 wpc.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
perfect, I think Ill go with 100-150w to give me more headroom and B&W speakers arent very efficient so Ill need more power than I originally expected.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To make your buying "easy"...buy used.Search Ebay(by distance) and Craigslist. Maybe you'll find somebody "giving away" a Hafler D500 for $200.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Relic1Golf said:
perfect, I think Ill go with 100-150w to give me more headroom and B&W speakers arent very efficient so Ill need more power than I originally expected.
Your speakers aren't low sensitivity. 100-150W is likely plenty unless you have a massive room or listen at extreme levels for extended periods.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
I was going to go with an integrated amp but then I started inquiring about the pre-out on my receiver. the integrated amps were limited to 45-60w.I would like to get a tube amp anywhere between 55-65w or if I get a solid state amp, probably closer to 100wpc.
If im correct, an 88db speaker would need twice as much power than a speaker rated at 92db to produce 100db of sound.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Relic1Golf said:
I was going to go with an integrated amp but then I started inquiring about the pre-out on my receiver. the integrated amps were limited to 45-60w.I would like to get a tube amp anywhere between 55-65w or if I get a solid state amp, probably closer to 100wpc.
If im correct, an 88db speaker would need twice as much power than a speaker rated at 92db to produce 100db of sound.
+3dB is a 50% change in output and would require twice the power to achieve. So an 88dB sensitive speaker would require twice as much power as 91dB sensitive one to achieve the same output, but that's not the whole story. There are quite a few more factors than that when you start factoring in distance, room size, etc... , but it is a good reference point. Theoretical isn't going to tell you how it sounds though, so the best way to find out is to start listening to the system.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
So I would be just as content with 50w as I would with 100w as long as it's a reputable power amp?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Depends on the amp topology.NAD PE have 6db of instantaneous headroom. So a 50wpc can hit brief peaks of 200.Every other amp design is lucky to have 3.Take my Kenwood M2A, hardly a lightweight at 220wpc. Its headroom peaks are 300.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
help me! my 5yo pushed in one of the tweeters, its a small dent but its noticeable. can it be saved or do I have to get a hold of B&W for a new tweeter?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Try some painter's tape. Touch it lightly to the dent and pull. If that doesn't work, maybe some stickier tape. Unlike a woofer dust cap, you can't use a vacuum cleaner to pull it out.

Since your child damaged your "toy", do the same in front of them. They will understand to not touch daddy's stuff anymore. Before anyone comments on my child rearing process, I have no kids. I'm not too fond of them.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
I yelled at her pretty hard, something to the effect of why did you do that? you know better. and she spend some time in the corner pouting about it. if I cant fix it some of her Disney land money will go toward a new tweeter. tape was no luck, even using packaging tape.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Dents in aluminum tweeters are usually a lost cause. Soft domes can usually be restored back to near-new condition. This might be a silly question but did the sound quality suffer noticably? Soft domes that are pushed in often times don't suffer any loss in sound quality

Whenever someone breaks something of mine I ask them help me fix it...and pay for the part (depending on how big they are of course :D ). Put the bill in your daughters piggy bank. She can pay it off with huggs and kisses.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
yeah it sounds a bit hollow. I think she has $10 or so in her piggy bank, Im going to help her count out $5 for the cause. I wont take her money but its the effect of teaching her basic economics and responsibility. I will probably put it back in her bank when shes not looking.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
I cant get the dent out so I dont know if there will be a crease, other forums say to use a hair dryer to heat it up and use tape but I dont know if the heat will effect/damage the tweeter, I guess its worth a try though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks