What's new

B&K Reference 50 processor whine... (1 Viewer)

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
I think I already replied, but in case I didn't. I have a B&K Ref 50, silver face. Software version 1.01. It is connected to a Sherbourn amp. No whine on any channels at all. With no inputs on, just the amp and pre/pro, whisper quiet at all sound levels.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Had my Ref50 - Ref200.5 combo using XLR's since last November... version 1.00 No whine'n go'n on here.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Your local B&K dealer should have just received a serial # list of recalled units, they will replace (if bought from an authorized dealer) Very Quickly (we replace out of stock ,immediately)....there is NO SERIES OF #'S (that is to say "in a row") that can be labelad as bad, it had to due with identical parts from a parts supplier that were mnfgrd with a qc/tolerance problem....the list is one page long.
I was going to post about how the muting circuit on most of the other brands masks any noise, but someone beat me to it!
It seems many here get upset at a company that has a bug or two in their early releases of a product...damn few companies that haven;t lately...I am more impressed with how they satisfy and help their customers...let's face it ,early adopters are Guinea Pigs, a real world lab that has a far greater amount of differant hook-up scenarios than a company of 80 people could ever duplicate...but they have George, whom you can always call an talk to!

Frances_H

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew,
thanks for the info. You mentioned that there is no series of # that contain bad parts, how about production date? Is the recalled units has a cut off production date on it? I am just curious since I ordered one last week, awaiting shipment from an authorized dealer, and definitely hoping that any shipments within the past two weeks or so are safe..thanks again, fh

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I will have to check with my service department on Monday and see if they received this list.

It is very encouraging news that they (B&K) at least have issued a recall for the problem.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I am starting to wonder if it is even an issue at all????
I am very happy to see that B&K has apparently stepped up to the plate and not only admitted there is a problem, but are doing something about it as well.

This type of response puts the B&K Ref 50 back on my short list of potential pre/pro's.

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Well my unit has always had a problem from day-one as I have no right front channel! ;)

That problem aside, I have been using my faulty Ref50 with 6.1 out of the 7.1 channel setup that I have just to get a feel for what the unit is capable of and even without a right front channel and the "whine" noise, it sounds very good and the features are great.
I also have noticed that the “whine” seems to have gotten worse over time and my left surround channel has gotten much worse as noted over at the AVS thread:
The only thing is that the left surround's noise is louder that any of the other channels.
My Ref50 seems to be doing the exact same thing now.

That said, I will admit, yes, with no material playing, the "whine" is starting to bother me.

I am holding out hope that the replacement unit (which should arrive early this week) does not have any problems and of course will post my results as soon as it is thoroughly tested out.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Mark-

I must say that you must really be impressed with the sound quality and features of the Ref 50. Why do I say this? Because you have been very patient and understanding with regards to these problems with your Ref 50!

I doubt I would be...

Keep us posted, as peoples experience with getting these problems fixed in a timely manner could definitely make the difference in whether or not I purchase this unit.

Thanks.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
First off, if anyone wants to put their sn up ,I'll ck it against my list when I get home monday night (left list at work).
Second, To Mark: why have you been waiting sooo long for your replacement? won't the dealer just swap it out of his own stock?

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Matthew, compared to how long I waited for the Ref50 itself, a week or so for a replacement is no big deal.

I work for the dealer and I also work for myself and those in the A/V business know that customers get the equipment before the employees. I get very good discounts (on any pre/pro I might want), but I do also have to wait most of the time for the gear.

Rob, after 39 years, I have learned patience and of course my 8 year old daughter helped, as you need lots of patience once you have a child ;).

Yes, I like the sound of the Ref50 that much, ever since I listened to the first one that arrived at work and was setup in the demo room I knew that I had to get one into the Digital Vortex Home Theater…. I just didn’t think it would take this long nor did I expect these small problems, but like Matthew said, George is great at B&K and since I have dealt with tech-support on older B&K equipment that some of my customers have, I knew the support would be good when I purchased my own B&K piece.

Of course if I have to wait to much longer for the replacement I will just drive up to Buffalo, NY and pick it up! ;)

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Mark, I got mine directly from B&K as well as I did with the 307 that I've had for @ 2 years, but a couple other guys I know who did just sent them in with an RA # and the turnaround was lightning fast...Mine has ,thankfully, been problem free and the serial # is not on the list...v1.03 as well (though not neccesarily a garauntee).....I am VERY pleased especcially with the way that all the parametrers are specific to the inputs, sorta-like more presets....and the remote is cool...I'm waiting for the guys at B&K to get me the new ccf they are creating for the pronto anyway just to have both kinds of remotes handy...by the way, did you know the mx700 can learn without having to be attatched to a computer?

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I have the RA# but that does not seem to matter as I spoke with George today and he informed me that my replacement Ref50 did not ship last week and he is unsure why but did promise to get to the bottom of it and get back to me.

Sooooo... looks like the wait continues....

Maybe it is because I have the silver Ref50 and they did not have enough silver face plates made up????

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
BTW, Mark, I might have missed this in your earlier posts, but what AMP are you using? I am considering the B&K Seven Channel X 200 watt AMP, but I have not heard much talk about it (it looks REALLY cool in Silver too!).

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I am using 4 - QSC EX Pro 2-channel amps (THX), balanced inputs. You can see part of one in the picture I posted on the previous page and of course tons of pictures on my website: Digital Vortex Theater
I have heard the Ref 200.7 and it is a great amp and a good match for the Ref50 and if I did not already have the QSC amps I would have purchased one along with the Ref50.

Matthew, I also think the remote is very "cool" but my preferred method of control is via RS232 from my AMX control system as this way I can get feedback from the Ref50.

The one thing I do notice about the remote is that you can point it just about anywhere and the Ref50 will pick up the IR signal which is great and since it has a built in IR repeater system you can send the other IR codes to flashers to control your other equipment that may not have such good IR pickup capabilities.

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Any updates, Mark?
Sorry it took so long to get back to everyone.

I have been doing major work on my Home Theater room (painting, backlit poster, several movie posters, sconce lighting, etc…) and also wanted to wait for my one surround JBL Studio monitor speaker to be repaired so I could set my Ref50 up correctly for 7.1 sound.

So this weekend has really been my first weekend since getting my replacement unit to sit back and really listen to it, test it out, and enjoy it.

The new unit is MUCH better as far as the "WHINE" problem is concerned. The first Ref50 you could easily hear the "whine" especially from the left surround channel as reported by many others with the serious "whine" problem and the “whine” actually had gotten much worse on my unit the more I used it. That said I must report that the new unit still has a slight "whine" but this can only be heard if there is no source material playing, and only if you turn the unit up above reference level. Now my left surround does still seem to be ever so slightly louder as far as the “whine” but it seems to actually go away from the left surround and move to the other channels as you turn the volume up louder????. I am still doing testing on the “whine” sound... also I think I can also hear some of the “tuner” section bleeding through to other inputs but again you have to turn the unit all the way up to MAX in order to hear it and it is only on a few of the inputs and again, I am still doing test on this and will write down which inputs I can hear the bleed through on... Oh boy… I probably should not have typed that, I can just see all of the forums going crazy over that one! Nothing like starting trouble! ;)

Also I have not experienced any problems like I had with my first unit as far as any of the channels not working. I have not read or heard about any other units with defects like my first unit had so I am going to write that off as just bad luck on my part and will give B&K the benefit of the doubt as far as QC... this time. ;)

I also noticed that the relay switching on the new unit is much quieter but with my first unit being defective with the right front channel it may have just been that defective unit causing the loud relay noise.

How does the B&K Reference 50 sound? Well I could go on and on about how warm, and smooth and detailed and… well you get the idea… lets just say that I fired up some demo material like Gladiator: DTS-ES discrete, Star Wars: Attack of the Saber wielding Yoda, X-Men, The 5th Element, and also lots of music from the new Fleetwood Mac CD to all of my DTS audio CD’s and even a lot of Satellite music and…………. Well let’s just say I am very happy with my purchase of the Ref50 even with the slight flaws I have mentioned above. Seriously!!!! This unit really does sound that good! Those out there that have no “whine” at all must be very excited as the Ref50 sounds fantastic. Again, my JBL speakers are very sensitive and maybe allowing the “whine” to appear in my system where it may not on other less sensitive speakers. I have only tested with “balanced” connections and will test with non-balanced next week and see if there is any difference.

As always, it is highly recommended you try and audition any piece of home theater equipment in your theater room. And as always… YMMV! :)

One other side note: The A/B of the Ref50 and Rotel RSP 1066 should be happening sometime next week or weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks