What's new

b&k ref 50? (1 Viewer)

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
i am going to purchase the b&k ref 50. any thing else i should look at in the same price area????????? frank.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Do a search on the forum. I am sure you can find hours upon hours of information dealing with this topic.....

R~

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
The Ref 50 retails for $3200. For that money I would look at the Bryston SP-1.7 or maybe a slightly used Lexicon MC-8.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Ref50 retail is just under $3k.
Can be purchased for 25%/30% off or more from authorized dealers.
It only take a bit of leg work. ;)
-Jerry

jason-celaya

Agent
I have a REF 50 and I think it is awesome, the problem have all been worked out. If you do not have a sub EQ it has a notch filter than can really be helpful in getting a flat response in a room.

The Anthem, B&K and Parasound C2 are all pretty close. It's just personal preference in my mind. If some audiofile folks can barely tell the difference between Outlaws 950 and Lexicons...most likely these 3k or so controllers will be comparable.

If you are more into music though I would buy the Bryston as it has a amazing analog pass through as I am told. No video switching with it...that may be good if you have a out board scaler anyways.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Jason,
You may already understand this, for those that don't know the Ref50, you have the choice to shut down any unused video switching.
Or completely omit it from the pathway altogether.

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
I have a friend that has the REF 50. I played a copy if the THX Ultimate Demo Dvd and on the DTS soundtrack of the podrace it was better than the sound in the Senator Theater in Baltimore, MD. Lucas and his collegues approved that theater among other theaters in the country to see Episode I. When I went to the showing of Episode I, I met people from California.

Anyway, the sound that this baby puts out is extremely clean. Especially with SACD!!

RF

Buy it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks