What's new

b&k ref 50 update (1 Viewer)

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
hi all, i was wondering if any one else had to send their ref 50 back to b&k for a controller card and a software update. (under warranty of course) the people at b&k that i delt with we very professional, and the turn around was 2 days now thats service. my unit was 3 weeks old and the system locked up several times while i was setting up my room . when i called b&k they asked me for the serial number and version on the unit. i was then informed it was a first run unit, ( nothing wrong with it but had to be updated). it seems the 1st run software version is 1.0 and now its 1.4 along with a new controller card. im going to hook it up this weekend and fine tune my room. so far i like the features and preformance of it. i am running it with a ati 2505 5 channel amp (250 x 5). well i keep you all posted with my progress. frank.

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
Donnie and Frank,

How do you like your Reference 50? I am definately going to purchase one this weekend especially after B&K reduced the price of the 50 as well as the 507 by $1000. Any feedback will be appreciated.

James Gallup

Agent
I've had my REF50 V1.04 for a few months now and only one issue which may be cables. The REF50 uses no muting circuits when switching inputs and you get a pronounced click from the unit itself when switching. When I was using a coax hookup for the digital signal I got a very loud pop out of my speakers when it switched. Now that I'm using optical, I've had no issues. The caveat here is that I did not try another coax cable as I did not have one available. Great piece of gear and if the price reduction is true, then everyone jump on it. It's very flexible and sounds great!!!

Chip E

Screenwriter
I've had my Ref50 for a year now, version 1.0 .. My dealer said he'd give me a loaner receiver while my processor gets updated... gotta get roll'n on that.

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't hesitate picking one up especially with the $1000 price break. I love my Ref. 50 and have never regretted purchasing the unit, though I did consider upgrading the a Lexicon. There is a little learning curve on the setup and you'll probably be tweaking for a couple of months after that. However, once you get used to the menu system, everything makes perfect sense. Just do it.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Chip,
Have your dealer order the upgrade chip and have him swap it. It takes 5 minutes, just have to pull the old card and plug the new one in. If you can plug memory into a pc or swap a harddrive, you can do it if the dealer will let you.

Erik J. B.

Grip
I bought one yesterday for $2000. My shop wouldn't discount any lower. They said they (or B&K?) are taking a loss as it is. Could it be hogwash? Of course, but I had the shop make up for it in another way so all was not lost. This is the most exiting purchase I've ever made and I can't wait. They've said they can't order enough of these units as people are calling from all over the place to get them. I've read much debate about possible reasons why B&K did this, but seems to week it has really worked in boosting sales. The pre/pro market was very thin around $2000, now there's a beast taking over...

Chip E

Screenwriter
I spoke to my dealer yesterday, who then spoke to B&K. I must bring the unit in. They do not do the firmware/controller card upgrade at the store, nor can i as a customer do it. Don't get me wrong, if they'd let me do it, i'd do it. I spoke to B&K some time ago... this is a reiteration of what they said to me. I bought it at Tweeter and the manager is a friend of mine. I'm about to unplug everything now and box it up after i finish my coffee.
Ski's are going in for a waxing today too! It's that time of year again already.. ;)

Dean Arizona

Agent
Where's the information on the $1000.00 price drop? I skimmed B&K's website and found no reference to the price reduction. What is B&K's official MSRP for the Ref 50?

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
inside info directly from B&K:

they have dropped the price due to market competition and a line that they wont change until about this time next year. because their replacements arent coming for a long time, R&D costs are practically zero at this point, so its just manufacturing costs that they are covering.

they arent losing any money by selling it, it still have great margin, BUT, dont use that as an excuse to hit up your dealer for extra money off! its a great deal, and you should pay them EXTRA for what you are getting for the price.

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
i did not being my ref 50 back to the store. i could have and they would have replaced the controller card there. i chore to send the unit back to b&k my self ( after getting an ra # ) this was the best thing that i did. it took them just 2 days to ship my unit back to me. i am going to hook it up this weekend. i felt better haveing b&k do it because they test the whole unit. i ma very happy with my purchase and i don think anything in that price range can touch it. especially as it can be future upgrades. frank.
purchased at 6th ave for 2,400 a month ago.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Just got back from Tweeter in Cherry Hill. My Ref50 is already on their truck going out Tuesday. I got a Sony receiver to use while it's gone. Skii's are in the shop too! :emoji_thumbsup:

DanaA

Screenwriter
Man, this price drop is fantastic news.

A question I would really appreciate an answer to is how it does in two channel performance. Are you all happy with its stereo performance? Has anyone compared it to the likes of Rotel or Anthem in this or any other regard?

Thanks

Chip E

Screenwriter
Dana,

It sound's fantastic in two channel. I run a 7.1 rig using a B&K 200.5 five channel amp (center & four surround's) and a B&K 200.2 two channel amp (main's)- (SVS PB2+ pull'n up the bottom).I haven't compared it to any other processor however, i've previously owned a B&K AVR307, Denon AVR5803 and an Integra DTR6.2 receiver. The Ref50 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The MX-700 (badged the SR10.1 for B&K)remote is icing on the cake. Deals can be had on this puppy. Think i paid something like $2250.00 the first week it debued back in November '02. You get a shitload of processor for what you pay. :emoji_thumbsup:

DanaA

Screenwriter
Hey, thanks Chip. Getting more tempted at joining you B&Kers by the minute. Certainly, it now has to rank as one of the finer values in pre-pros.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Think i paid something like $2250.00 the first week it debued back in November '02.
Yeah, for someone looking now, take a look around in that I would think you'd be able to get one for closer to maybe even $1500 now. I was quoted $2250 earlier this year when I looked too.

Any word on DPL IIx?

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
ok ok now guys where oh where did any one see the b&k ref 50 for less than 2k . i researched it for a week and came up with 6th ave for 2400$ including tax and shipping. that was less than a month ago. i brought an add from the web into the store and he matched the price, (with a little pressure from me). so now its easy to say 1,500 somewhere
else. but, if we dont say where i dought that that price exists. so lets keep this real ok. frank

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Frank,

I think all of this talk about $1,500 for a Ref50 is a little extreme, but starting Dec 1, 2003, B&K will be lowering the MSRP for the Ref50 by $1,000 to a new MSRP of around $2,000. How much of a discount below $2,000 is still unknown, but the $2,000 has been pretty much confirmed. This was discussed over at AVS on the following thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=325636

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks