B&K 507 vs Ref 50

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve Simm, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

Is there anything the Ref 50 does that the 507 does not? I am trying to decide between these 2 pieces and from the research I have done I can find no functional/performance differences between the 2 but then again I don't dig as deep into some of the more obscure functions as some of you do. I was torn between going with separates or flagship receiver and have decided for my needs it just doesn't matter. Price becomes the deciding factor. But if the Ref 50 offers a feature the 507 doesn't have then I will evaluate the value of that feature. I tend to keep my equipment at least 4-5 years so I do want the latest and greatest when I upgrade. I am not concerned with being able to upgrade just a processor later on and keeping the amp.

2. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Only the balanced in/outputs on the Ref50.
    They are the same from that point.

3. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

Jerry, thanks for the response. It looks like the 507 is the way to go. I having been using a DSP-A1 for the last 4 years and am having a hard time making a purchase as the A1 does almost everything I need it to and has been a rock solid performer. I have really been giving consideration to the RX-Z1 but having only 1 rear channel output instead of 2 seems a little short sighted (I know there is only 6.1 at this time), the lack of bass adjustment options, and the remote have lessend my enthusiasm for it and I have been a loyal Yamaha buyer for the last 11 years.

4. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

If you get the Ref50 plus an amp or, the 507 receiver, you'll get the best remote go'n... an MX-700. GREAT remote. [​IMG]

5. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

Actually ,I have used the 307 and now the 507 as a pre-amp with outboard amps because I find that it is easier and a better return on investment to sell a rcvr (larger pool of buyers) than it is to sell a pre-amp.....
    p.s...Chip, did you know that the 700 can learn on it's own, without being hooked to the computer? hidden feature accessable the same way the mx500 could!