What's new

B.J. AND THE BEAR (1 Viewer)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Originally Posted by younger1968
Unversal fire cause lots of damage to the original. However, i do not think that is the only reason and it probably has to do with the music rights to BJ and the Bear. My guess is it will be a wait and see approach to this released. The good news at least it is being talked about.
the negative shouldn't have been on the lot. prints or the video masters might have burned up and Universal's not got the budget to restrike or transfer them

dadkins0

Auditioning
Real Name
DUANE ADKINS
One of the best shows on TV, and you cannot even buy it on VHS or DVD. What a shame. I tried to buy a copy form some company on the internet but changed my mind when I found out the quality was poor and the price was premium.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure about BJ, but Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo has been in syndication very recently on the RTV affiliates.

As others have said, I'm sure the original 35mm elements for these shows weren't lost in the fire. There might even be old U-matic or other obsolete broadcast-format tapes of the uncut shows around. Whether they were ever transferred to modern digital formats in uncut, uncompressed versions might be the issue.

Was there really all that much original music in BJ to be concerned about, though (apart from the main title)?

It'd be nice if they could do with the cross-over two-parter "Run for the Money" like they did with the bionic shows (do them as originally presented on both DVD sets--should both shows get released). I suspect we'd only get the 're-assigned' syndicated versions, though.

I'm not a big fan of Bear, but bring on Sheriff Lobo!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bryan X
I enjoyed that show growing up. It made me want a chimp! :laugh:
I believe it lasted 3 seasons. Long enough to inspire a spin-off, "The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo" which lasted 2 seasons, I think.
Both BJ and Lobo's final seasons were half-seasons, having been delayed by the writer's strike (this was the same year as Buck Rogers' final strike-delayed half-season). Also, both series were re-tooled (unsuccessfully) for their final seasons. I have three episodes of the re-tooled Lobo with original commercials on VHS that I found at a flea market! Surprised those were anything that anyone would've saved, given the prices of blank tape at the time! Glad to have them, but wish they'd been from the much better first season!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i remember the show more the girls, like stacks (Judy Landers). The music was very good and Claude Akins was like Sherrif Roscoe P Coltraine from the dukes of hazzard.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
BJ and the Bear was loaded with popular songs of the time. To remove them would take from the pleasure of the episode. I have it on homemade dvd.

banjo78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
CharlieBravo
The songs in "BJ and the Bear" are not the originals, they are cover versions. So music rights would not be an issue. "Greatest American Hero" was released and it is the same as in the songs that appear are cover versions. It even sounds like the same studio band performing them in both shows. There must be some reason as to why it's not yet released. Someone needs to get it done!!!! NOW!!!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by banjo78
The songs in "BJ and the Bear" are not the originals, they are cover versions. So music rights would not be an issue. "Greatest American Hero" was released and it is the same as in the songs that appear are cover versions. It even sounds like the same studio band performing them in both shows. There must be some reason as to why it's not yet released. Someone needs to get it done!!!! NOW!!!

I would agree that this show should come out along with misadventures of Sheriff Lobo. I like BJ and the Bear and remember the show talked about in an episode of Corner Gas.

What i find interesting is that Greg Evigan does not talk much about his role as BJ on BJ & the bear. I bought My two dads and he talks about other shows, but not about BJ & the Bear. I am wondering if maybe he has distance himself from that role.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Last one I saw (I think TV land played it at one point) was when BJ was distraught since he thought a vet doc had Bear put down and then disposed of...some kind of mysterious, catchy, desease. Instead they kidnapped (monkey napped? hee!) Bear and were going to sell him for big bucks. Surprisingly good ep.

I'd always thought the BJ actor sang a lot of those covers. There's Eagles covers, etc. Would be awesome to hear all that again, even covers.

I'd buy BJ and all that Lobo stuff in a heartbeat! Perkins!!! :D With 6M$ man out (still need to get it) and BJ, I'd be in classic TV heaven!

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Actually the covers would be an issue. The Greatest American Hero was released with ALL the cover tunes replaced. Had they not been replaced TGAH would have not been released on disc.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Additionally, my understanding was that with regards to music rights, not only do the original artists get some kind of compensation usually, but so do the individuals who wrote the song's lyrics (which still apply even if it's a cover version, correct?)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Jeff*H
Additionally, my understanding was that with regards to music rights, not only do the original artists get some kind of compensation usually, but so do the individuals who wrote the song's lyrics (which still apply even if it's a cover version, correct?)
I believe so. I was actually thinking about this and a lot of other "classic" shows the other day. 500 channels and not one has BJ and the Bear, Love Boat, Chips or Fantasy Island. At least I can get my Rockford, Knight Rider and A-Team fix.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich
500 channels and not one has BJ and the Bear, Love Boat, Chips or Fantasy Island. At least I can get my Rockford, Knight Rider and A-Team fix.
Which is why I haven't subscribed to cable since January of 2007. Too Much Money to Subscribe, too many Commercials, too little Variety.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I dropped my TV dish the same year TechTV was swallowed up by that other channel, G-4 or something. And Sci-fi stopped running MST3K. And they were running promos in over 1/3rd of the TV screen area during my favorite shows. Pay for that? {insert extreme belly laughter here}

I'd be glad to karaoke some of those songs for em! :D

banjo78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
CharlieBravo
As far as I'm aware, the covers on GAH are still the ones originally used. I don't own it but remember borrowing a season off a mate and heard cover versions like Elton John's "Rocket Man" for example. Can someone else confirm this?

banjo78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
CharlieBravo
cover artists don't recieve any songwriting royalties, for obvious reasons. They haven't written the song or the lyrics. If these shows used a studio band specifically for music right purposes, they probably dont recieve any money at all apart from their original studio fees.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
As far as I'm aware, the covers on GAH are still the ones originally used. I don't own it but remember borrowing a season off a mate and heard cover versions like Elton John's "Rocket Man" for example. Can someone else confirm this?
None of the covers used in TGAH are included on the original Anchor Bay release, or the new Mill Creek sets. Rocket Man is included with all other original music on the Japanese DVD release, the Spanish DVD release, and the Portugues release. I actually wrote the trivia questions for the Anchor Bay season 2 box set, and was hired to do so BEFORE season one was released. Imagine my surprise when I included a question about the song Eve of Destruction only to find out when the set hit store shelves the cover of the song had been replaced with another generic tune!

Surprisingly the Whitney Houston tune used in the unsold pilot of The Greatest American Heroine is intact!

For more detail about the music changes here's a link to my website: http://www.the-greatest-american-hero.com Just choose VHS/DVD History on the menu.

banjo78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
CharlieBravo
I'm in Australia so it must of been one of the later releases as I definitely remember hearing these covers. Not sure which release it was though. Just wish someone would release BJ. It was very popular down here and there would surely be a market for it. Apart from a stint on PayTV about 10-12 years ago, it hasn't been shown here since about 1985!!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I believe TV Land or... was showing BJ and Lobo in the 90s here. That was the last time I saw it. I never missed those when they first aired though.

The similar Dukes of Hazard is avail in full right now (and I"m slow as hell getting them). So there should be a chance for BJ and Lobo too. Shout! Factory maybe...?

banjo78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
CharlieBravo
According to Greg Evigan's own Twitter account, Bj and the Bear is being released later this year, all 3 seasons and extra's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks