What's new

Axioms VS Swans Divias (1 Viewer)

Brook

Agent
I heard the Divias were really good, but a little pricy. Do they Axioms even compare in sound. I know the Axioms can't go low, but do they compare in every other field?:emoji_thumbsup:

Bradley C

Auditioning
How do you get axioms don't go low? My bro has a pair that ROCK. They go as low as you need them to go, or get a sub.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I think it's been reported that the Axiom M3's don't go as low as the Diva 2.1's, but there's more to a speaker than just bass extension. None of these bookshelves can go low enough to be suitable for home theater without a subwoofer, anyway. Also, a better comparison to the Diva 2.1 would probably be the M22ti, since it's the same price. The M22ti still can't go as low as the 2.1, but it's supposed to be a truly excellent bookshelf speaker.

I think the top-shelf Diva lineup (6.1's/C3/R3's) is probably an excellent package for home theater, but if you can't swing that price tag then you might be able to get more bang for your buck going with Axiom. This is particularly true if you buy from the factory outlet, where Axiom speakers are marked down as much as 20% becuase of cosmetic blemishes that you may not even be able to see. I paid $640 for my M60ti's, and I really don't think you can get that much bang for your buck in the Diva lineup.

As far as sound, I believe the Diva's are regarded as being slightly laid back once broken in, but I don't have any first-hand experience with them. When discussing Axiom's, you'll often see people use words such as revealing or accurate. They may have a slightly forward sound compared to some speakers, but I definitely don't think they are at all bright or harsh. I was actually a bit concerned about this, but my concerns were totally put to rest once I started listening. I absolutely love these speakers, not only for home theater but also for music. The M60's truly shine for music and they still have plenty of dynamics for home theater.

With free shipping and a 30-day return policy, there's really no risk in trying the Axiom's; the only thing you would be out if you decided not to keep them is return shipping. The Diva's also come with a 30-day guarantee, but you'll have to pay shipping both ways.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I compared the Diva 2.1 to the Axiom M60Ti (a strange contest, I know) in my room and actually preferred the smaller Divas. The Axioms sounded good, no doubt about it, but I felt that the 2.1s had a much more refined, balanced and pleasing sound to my ear. I tested both with (crossed over at 80 MHz) and without a sub on 2 channel stereo and DD/DTS DVD sources. After 3 days of listening to both I returned the Axioms and purchased the Diva 6.1s and C3 to round out my 5.1 setup.

Please remember that this is my opinion based on listening in my room with my equipment. The big guys arrived last Friday and they are wonderful speakers, as are the C3 and 2.1. I can't wait for them all to break in completely.

Daniel T

Stunt Coordinator
Brook,

You had another thread about buying Axiom speakers. Don't second guess purchasing the Axiom speakers. I was first torn between Divas, Axioms, and Norh. Based on the price value of the Axioms, I went with them. I have never second guessed my purchase except on the sub. I would love to upgrade to the M22 down the road. Buy the Axiom speakers you will not be disappointed. It is always said to go with your first instinct. If you change your mind it is usually the wrong choice.

Daniel T

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Brook:

I'd use the search feature. Many of your questions have shown up in previous threads. The search feature is the quickest way to find your answers.

Good Luck and Welcome to the forum.

Ron Boster

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
There is no wrong choice when you buy the Divas. When you open that first box, you'll know before you even fire one up that you made the right choice. Not only have the 2.1's outperformed the Axoims in professional reviews, but the build quality is second to none. There is no better speaker on the market that comes close in that price range, at least that I have heard or seen reviewed. The price/performance/service that is provided by the Diva line and AV123 has been so well established in the last year that now they seem to be the standard other speakers costing much more are being held up to. They may cost a little more than the Axioms, but the enjoyment you'll get for the years you own them will soon make those few dollars a distant memory. Your SO will love you for it too.
Good luck,

Walt N

Second Unit
"If you change your mind it is usually the wrong choice."

If I never second guessed my first instincts I'd be thrice divorced and living in a van down by the river by now.

I'm glad I went with the Diva's but my buddy couldn't work with the wood color in his room so he went for the Axioms. To me the Diva's are a bit less analytical in a good way and more natural sounding, but he likes his Axioms (which I recommended to him) as much as I like my Divas. I'd say the Divas are easily worth the extra money, he probably wouldn't. Sorry, that probably didn't help much but I'd say go with whatever runs your flag up the pole the highest and you'll be happy. They're both fine speakers.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I think that you will be happy with either one of these speakers. As many have recommended, audition them if at all possible. There is a website where Diva owners will let you listen to there system if they live near you. I'm guessing you find the person closest to you, make an "appointment", and then you can hear the Diva's for yourself. There are many happy Axiom and Diva owners here, you'll have to decide for yourself which is better.

Eric_Singer

Agent
I believe the review he is referring to is: http://www.cheaphometheater.com/Speaker%20Shootout.htm
This is the only one I've seen that compares them both, but note that the comparison is between the $400 Diva 2.1's and the $275 Axiom M3's. Obviously, the $400 Axiom M22's would probably be a better comparison. As for separate reviews, the soundstage network has reviewed a number of Axiom models - http://www.audiovideoreviews.com/speakers.shtml
I've seen reviews of the Diva 6.1 at stereotimes.com and the 4.1 at hometheaterhifi.com. Good luck.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
When you open that first box, you'll know before you even fire one up that you made the right choice.
Now really, that's a bit absurd unless you're buying the speakers strictly to be display pieces. Yes, the Diva's are well made, but so are the Axiom's (even if they don't use a wood veneer).

And since you mention finish/appearances, I think it's worth pointing out that while many people love the look of the Diva's, quite a few others would never want those speakers in their living rooms because of their appearance (myself included). It's not that I think the Diva's are ugly per se, they would just stick out like a sore thumb in my house. I can't help but wonder how many more sales AV123 would get if there were versions of the Diva's available with a black finish for slightly less money (or even the same money).

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Now really, that's a bit absurd unless you're buying the speakers strictly to be display pieces. Yes, the Diva's are well made, but so are the Axiom's (even if they don't use a wood veneer).
I agree that choosing a speaker strictly on looks is a losing proposition. However, I've had Axiom's M60Ti and VP150 (black ash) and the Diva 6.1, C3 and 2.1 in my home so can comment directly on both manufacturers. There is no comparison in my opinion - the Divas are in an entirely different league. The Axioms are simliar to JBL or lower-end Polk Audio products as far as their build quality goes, while the Divas are right up there with Revel, B&W, etc. This is probably one of the reasons why they are compared to the B&W Nautilus line so often. Axiom may make some fine sounding speakers but their construction, in my opinion, is several large notches below that of the Diva stuff.

Brook

Agent
Yeah I have probally asked about 5 or six questions about the Axioms already!:b But I really want to know how good these really are. But Thank You everybody for all the replies!!:D :D

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I personally like the Axioms for their price despite the fact that the cabinets are a bit light weight for my tastes. I prefer 3/4" MDF for all but the absolute smallest cabinets. At their price points I wouldn't expect real wood veneer though.

Brian

Jim Hubbard

Auditioning
I agree with Jeff. The lack of color choices in the Diva line probably hurts sales in a major way. I did not even consider the Divas because of their asthetics. The Divas ARE beautiful speakers, but would look ridiculous in my HT setup: 65" black tv (not enclosed), black stereo components, 31" black SV subwoofer, etc.....

Like Eric said, as for comparing the specs and performance, make sure you are comparing apples to apples from a price standpoint. Don't make your decisions from a review that compares the M3s to the 2.1s, compare the M22s to the 2.1s
Both the M22s and 2.1s are $400 completely unblemished.

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
Yeah I have probally asked about 5 or six questions about the Axioms already! But I really want to know how good these really are.
The good thing about axiom is you can return them if you don't like them. One thing if for sure many people have them, and there many good reviews. Also when I had a question about the M80 going lower (28hz)then the sub the owner or president Ian Colquist answered my question personally. Something he does often.

http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/...g=m22award.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks